Samuels Jewelers

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

Nehal Modi

Great potential. No training at all. No stability or consistency in upper management.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pricing. Good pay. Good commission and incentives.

Cons

Very poor merchandise mix. NO training. No Marketing. In store marketing is tired and confusing

Train, train, train. Listen to the people in the stores. Use you DM's properly. They do not need a phone attached to their head. If the first 5 conference calls of the day didn't work, this one won't either. Structure, consistency, follow through and company culture are dead. This starts with upper management.

samuels jewelers is the place to be

I have been working at Samuels Jewelers part-time for less than a year

Pros

putting a smile on that individual, great quality of jewelry
    the sale people has a listening ear
    able to customize and design your own ring

Cons

that people dont really know about us in the south

advertise more

An over working company

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

My manager was really awesome, we had a laid back work environment, and I had good coworkers. We had a decent discount as well.

Cons

Sales standards were impossible to achieve every month, the store I worked for was in a mall that only had 5 stores open, and the company never acknowledged that. They also promised to build a new store, and had us tell all customers that we would. When the mall finally kicked everyone out to do renovations, Samuel's then told us that they didn't have anything set up, but to continue to lie to customers. This wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that the only other Samuels around are both 2 hours away, and customers have protection plans that they have to keep up with. They were also really pushy about selling credit cards and sales in general. The company also overt works their managers like crazy, often times making them work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. And although I really liked my manager, I found it very frustrating to sell anything because him and The AM had worked there for so long that they had built a ton of relationships with customers, that would only work with them. And then when you had customers that they just so happened to know, you were required to split your sales with them, even if they had had taken no part in the sale. The favor was never returned either. That was another reason sales standards were impossible to achieve. Honestly out of the 2 years I worked there I probably made my plan 9 times. The jewelry quality has also gone downhill, everything is so cheap that you end up paying more in repairs for the piece in repairs than the customer had paid for the piece in the first place. It's just a very frustrating work environment.

Stop over working your managers, stop buying cheap jewelry that will fall apart within a week, and stop seeing sales standards so high that employees can start making bonuses. $9 an hour plus commission wouldn't be that bad if you could actually make an attainable plan every month. If not then raising the hourly and taking away commission would be a better idea.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mediocre

Former Employee - Bench Jeweler  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Bench Jeweler in Austin, TX

I worked at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lack of supervision. We got lots of experience with repairs and manufacturing (mostly setting).

Cons

Lack of leadership. Samuels laid off almost all of their bench jewelers and sent the jobs overseas to India.

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Montclair, CA

I have been working at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many opportunities available to anyone applying

Cons

None that I could think of

The biggest waste of time ever.

Former Employee - Acting Manager  in  Independence, MO
    Former Employee - Acting Manager in Independence, MO

I worked at Samuels Jewelers full-time

Pros

Seeing your customers happy and discounts.

Cons

working 67+ hours a week. every week.
    horrible location.
    never fully staffed.
    Upper management has no accountability.
    never getting a raise or a review. 3 promotions - no raises.

take responsibility for your stores.

bad management

I worked at Samuels Jewelers

Pros

They have really good prices

Cons

District manager is a micro manager.

Great While it lasted

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

They were flexible with hours and the pay was good. The commission level payouts were nice as well.

Cons

Most of the stores closed in my area. District management wasn't the best for the job.

Listen to your associates, we know the traffic flow and what sells in our area demographic.

Walk Away!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Be honest I felt the company was at least decent on pay to management.

Cons

Poor pay for new associates always trying to low ball quality people and the hiring process takes forever. Could not fill a staff with quality people due to low starting pay. They also work management to the bone because they are salary and are not willing to fill your staff if you have a family they don't care it's company first according to upper management. Most of the time the company is short staffed on managers and to fill the needs they bring in people who aren't ready to be in management because they have never been with the company and then they receive poor training because district managers don't have enough time to help all the stores with problems. Quality of merchandise has gone down in the last few years so you are always dealing with customer complaints and jewelry issues, some should be expected but there is just far to many quality problems in the merchandise. Quick to fire or demote you if you have a bad month or two even after taking over struggling stores. I could go on but to put it point blank upper management is to blame for most problems on the store level and poor training program. I left a store that was doing very well for better pay and greater advancement oppurtunities less than a few weeks ago.

Upper management needs to wake up and they need to develop a proper training program for both associates and managers they also need to realize that people have families yes retail is long hours but exceeding 60 and 70hrs a week in retail for a manger is hard for anybody and their families. Look at the quality of the items your selling as well. Don't forget the great sellers that you have promoted to management and reward them for their efforts allow them to put together a quality staff without turning everybody down except the ones that will take lower pay. Help your people managers and associates everybody is to short handed.

It was an expereince, WOW!!!!!!!

Former Employee - Worker Bee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Worker Bee in Austin, TX

I worked at Samuels Jewelers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and starting pay with great Mon-Fri Hours

Cons

Management has ZERO understanding that the little guys have families outside of work. This is because of the CULTURE associated with upper management.

You have a family and the little guy has a family also.

Worked for Samuels Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!