Samuels Jewelers

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nehal Modi

samuels jewelers is the place to be

Prosputting a smile on that individual, great quality of jewelry
    the sale people has a listening ear
    able to customize and design your own ring

Consthat people dont really know about us in the south

Advice to Senior Managementadvertise more

An over working company

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMy manager was really awesome, we had a laid back work environment, and I had good coworkers. We had a decent discount as well.

ConsSales standards were impossible to achieve every month, the store I worked for was in a mall that only had 5 stores open, and the company never acknowledged that. They also promised to build a new store, and had us tell all customers that we would. When the mall finally kicked everyone out to do renovations, Samuel's then told us that they didn't have anything set up, but to continue to lie to customers. This wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for the fact that the only other Samuels around are both 2 hours away, and customers have protection plans that they have to keep up with. They were also really pushy about selling credit cards and sales in general. The company also overt works their managers like crazy, often times making them work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week. And although I really liked my manager, I found it very frustrating to sell anything because him and The AM had worked there for so long that they had built a ton of relationships with customers, that would only work with them. And then when you had customers that they just so happened to know, you were required to split your sales with them, even if they had had taken no part in the sale. The favor was never returned either. That was another reason sales standards were impossible to achieve. Honestly out of the 2 years I worked there I probably made my plan 9 times. The jewelry quality has also gone downhill, everything is so cheap that you end up paying more in repairs for the piece in repairs than the customer had paid for the piece in the first place. It's just a very frustrating work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over working your managers, stop buying cheap jewelry that will fall apart within a week, and stop seeing sales standards so high that employees can start making bonuses. $9 an hour plus commission wouldn't be that bad if you could actually make an attainable plan every month. If not then raising the hourly and taking away commission would be a better idea.

Mediocre

Bench Jeweler (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsLack of supervision. We got lots of experience with repairs and manufacturing (mostly setting).

ConsLack of leadership. Samuels laid off almost all of their bench jewelers and sent the jobs overseas to India.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Montclair, CA

ProsMany opportunities available to anyone applying

ConsNone that I could think of

The biggest waste of time ever.

Acting Manager (Former Employee)
    Independence, MO

ProsSeeing your customers happy and discounts.

Consworking 67+ hours a week. every week.
    horrible location.
    never fully staffed.
    Upper management has no accountability.
    never getting a raise or a review. 3 promotions - no raises.

Advice to Senior Managementtake responsibility for your stores.

bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have really good prices

ConsDistrict manager is a micro manager.

Great While it lasted

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThey were flexible with hours and the pay was good. The commission level payouts were nice as well.

ConsMost of the stores closed in my area. District management wasn't the best for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates, we know the traffic flow and what sells in our area demographic.

Walk Away!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBe honest I felt the company was at least decent on pay to management.

ConsPoor pay for new associates always trying to low ball quality people and the hiring process takes forever. Could not fill a staff with quality people due to low starting pay. They also work management to the bone because they are salary and are not willing to fill your staff if you have a family they don't care it's company first according to upper management. Most of the time the company is short staffed on managers and to fill the needs they bring in people who aren't ready to be in management because they have never been with the company and then they receive poor training because district managers don't have enough time to help all the stores with problems. Quality of merchandise has gone down in the last few years so you are always dealing with customer complaints and jewelry issues, some should be expected but there is just far to many quality problems in the merchandise. Quick to fire or demote you if you have a bad month or two even after taking over struggling stores. I could go on but to put it point blank upper management is to blame for most problems on the store level and poor training program. I left a store that was doing very well for better pay and greater advancement oppurtunities less than a few weeks ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to wake up and they need to develop a proper training program for both associates and managers they also need to realize that people have families yes retail is long hours but exceeding 60 and 70hrs a week in retail for a manger is hard for anybody and their families. Look at the quality of the items your selling as well. Don't forget the great sellers that you have promoted to management and reward them for their efforts allow them to put together a quality staff without turning everybody down except the ones that will take lower pay. Help your people managers and associates everybody is to short handed.

It was an expereince, WOW!!!!!!!

Worker Bee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and starting pay with great Mon-Fri Hours

ConsManagement has ZERO understanding that the little guys have families outside of work. This is because of the CULTURE associated with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a family and the little guy has a family also.

Work Life at Samuels Jewelers

Austin, TX

ProsFlexible schedule (depending on your department manager), good benefits

ConsDifferent rules for different people, lack of accountability in many departments, infrequent pay increases and reviews, understaffed company with many new initiatives leads to overworked associates

Worked for Samuels Jewelers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Samuels Jewelers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Samuels Jewelers CEO Nehal Modi. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Samuels Jewelers employees.