San Diego Community College District

Terrie Teegarden

Teaching in this District

Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Community College District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learned many things from my Deans....especially Dean of Athletics and Physical Education @ Mesa college, Dean Dave Evans.....Great leader always there to listen to you and work with you. Best boss i ever had!!!

Cons

At the time i worked there....District wasn't opening new full time positions for instructors.

Appreciate the Dean in Athletics and Physical Education, Dean Dave Evans.....he's awesome!!!

Top Heavy Bureaucracy, Little Student Concern

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Community College District part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The opportunity to meet interesting students with diverse backgrounds.
    The ability to make a positive contribution in the lives of young people who truly want to learn.
    The opportunity to evaluate and refine my own competence in my subject field as an instructor.

Cons

Dealing with poorly motivated and badly prepared students.
    Dealing with a cold, indifferent and inertia-laden bureaucracy that is more concerned with funding and paperwork flow than student welfare and instructor support.
    Retention of lazy and incompetent faculty that is demoralizing both to students and other faculty.

The management should try to realize that the SDCCD is not a haven for career bureaucrats, but an educational institution for the benefit of the student.

Adjunct Instructor Work Environment - Continuing Education

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Community College District part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse student population, union benefits, sick leave, contribution into retirement savings. Great staff and colleagues.

Cons

Absolutely no guarantee of job security - you can be let go at the whim of your dean. No transparency or accountability for decision-making. No health benefits, parity of salary. Adjuncts are definitely slave labor here.

Adjuncts are the backbone of this institution. We are given a maximum of 14.75/hrs. weekly and yet we work at least 40 hours because of our passion for teaching and commitment to students. Need more transparency, ethical treatment and a realization of that without us, SDCE would not be the stellar institution it is. Above all, we want respect, fairness and equity.

Overall, great institution with focus on mission to educate the community

Former Employee - Dean in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Dean in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Community College District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, transparent salary and benefit scales, and opportunities for advancement

Cons

Like most, can be political at times

Know the processes and about Shared Governance

Counselor

Current Employee - Counselor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Community College District part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Eager students from all over the world which makes the work extremely interesting...making a diffrerence everyday.

Cons

Somewhat top-heavy management model with worthy initiatives with little regard to the ability to implement.

Learn what you faculty and staff do before making suggestions.

Focused on Providing Excellent Education and Student Support

Current Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Community College District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a dynamic community with motivated and happy employees and students. Resources on campus for students and faculty are excellent.

Cons

Classes are impacted since 4-yr schools have become so expensive, and money for education is still tight, so SDCCD has a tremendous growth in # of students. This is good, but it means classes are very full.

None at this time.

A major force in education and training in the county

I have been working at San Diego Community College District

Pros

A major player in education, training and workforce development for the region. High percentage of dedicated faculty. Diverse student population.

Cons

Revolving door for middle and some upper management...not everyone is pleased with campus communication and governance.

Demand that Presidents lead, not dictate.

LIke any large corporation, experience varies

I have been working at San Diego Community College District

Pros

Great benefits, diverse student population, direct involvement in committees and initiatives, doing what you love

Cons

As in any large corporation, some areas are managed better than others. Nightmare? Dream job? Either available here.

Difference of opinion does not equal a challenge to your credibility. The best rulers are servants.