San Diego County Credit Union

Updated November 8, 2014
Updated November 8, 2014
3.4

Teresa Halleck

The best place I've ever worked!

I worked at San Diego County Credit Union

Pros

The company's ethics and benifits

Cons

Some rough personalities to deal with, with the higher ups in admin.

SDCCU call center

Current Employee - Information Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and holiday bonus's.

Cons

Huge turn over!!!! Don't plan on being there over 2 years!

Very unlikely.

Overall this company's approach to the financial wellness of their members is inspiring.

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union

Pros

You aren't labled and put in a box. This company is growing fast there are always opportunities to move departmens and grow. You work very hands on and the micro managing sometimes seen in financial institutions is very minimal.

Cons

The incentive program is not great. They don't take into account the high income taxes that exist in California. The training center is great but it's in the middle of Mira Mesa. Which means at least an hour and a half of traffic each way.

Some of the management don't treat their employees the way they should. Maybe opt for more consistency among management systems.

Information Specialist

Former Employee - Information Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone at the company lower than the man is great.

Cons

Neanderthal approach to technology and pushing sales. Info Reps are jack of all trades and master of none. We are supposed to know everthing about the credit union.

Get individualized reps specializing in certain areas.

Not what I expected.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours are nice because Sundays and evenings are off. However if you work in a branch you are required to work most Saturdays. Working at Admin seems to be an entire different experience than working at a branch. While training at the administration building I fell in love with the company and the work environment there. Everyone was friendly, there was a great break room/cafeteria with a little convenience store in it, an on-site gym and a nice looking building.

Cons

Working at a branch is a whole different story. They are incredibly sales driven and the goals are completely unrealistic. SDCCU claims they aren't big banking and that they don't like to shove products and sales down members' throats but thats exactly what is expected of us as tellers at a branch. I understand that we need sales for the company to succeed but sales goals are incredible difficult to make and it just feels like you're always harassing members about getting this or that. Management rides you about it non-stop and do not offer a lot of help, encouragement or positivity (I only have experience at one branch but coworkers have told me it is the same at many locations). Right now tellers (MSRs) need 50 sales per month to make goal. I think half that would be reasonable. But when it gets to the point that you are trying to convince people to get a credit card they don't need or open up more checking accounts, its going too far. Overall, I think Admin seemed like a great place to be but working at the branches are NOT worth it. Compensation is next to nothing. I make $10 per hour as a teller with a Bachelor's degree and extensive cash handling experience. The sales incentives are non-existant as well.

Need more realistic sales goals.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Loan Officer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, family oriented, open communication between employees and management.

Cons

Drive to the corporate office can be a nightmare.

More one on one during reviews or quarterly to understand individual needs of employees if possible.

Is okay

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union

Pros

Learn a lot and then move to another place

Cons

Low salary and the big managers or the high titles earning more then 1 million dollar

expected more from a "leading credit union"

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative in San Diego, CA

Pros

Decent benefits, paid holidays, wellness allowance (gym, nutritionist etc.)

Cons

Poor salary and miserable raises, limited opportunity for growth, you have to be "liked" in order to move up, little regard job performance, new CEO seems to be cleaning house

Looking for an exhausting opportunity?

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union

Pros

Free giant chocolate bars, good chance to learn more than you'd expect as an entry level employee

Cons

Mandatory cold calling on Tuesday nights, overworked FSRs, greedy upper management who mask pushy sales as "helping" members, poor support, notification for irrelevant topics and none for important topics (IE, changing EAP without notifying employees), terribly underqualified managers

Go back to big banks.

SDCCU is a great place to work!

I have been working at San Diego County Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My company is really forward thinking from the other credit union that I came from. Cool products the the members really love too like mobile deposit.

Cons

The fresh sandwiches in the break room could taste a little better.

Thank you for opening new branches. The employee forums are good too as we get direct communication from the top down.