San Diego Gas & Electric Reviews

Jessie J. Knight Jr.

1. Technical Services Assistant

Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Services Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment, Great Pay. Most of the team leaders are outstanding.

Cons

Sometimes the contract workers are not viewed as members of the team.

2. Consulting Instructional Designer

Former Contractor - Consulting Instructional Designer
    Former Contractor - Consulting Instructional Designer

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. Provide software and tools as required. Good access to SMEs.

Cons

HR has a policy of limiting consulting employees to a total of one year employment in perpetuity. Once you have worked for SDG&E for one year as a consultant, you cannot work for them in that capacity again. This applies to W-2 employees, not those contracting through their own business, such as an LLC.
    Management and work environment can vary widely by location and department. Lots of long-time employees who are promoted from within on a somewhat personal and arbitrary basis.

Advice to Management

Hire good people for your team who are experts and then listen to their advice. This is what my manager did, and I think it was very successful.

3. Customer Service

Former Employee - Energy Services Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Services Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company to be proud to work for.
    Consistent.
    Great staff and fellow employees.
    Fair wages.
    Value their employees and what they have to bring to the table.

Cons

Hours are not great, which makes childcare very difficult to find.
    Unable to build bond with customer, but that is the nature of a call center.

Advice to Management

Allow employees other opportunities to show variety of skills.

5. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Business
    Current Employee - Business

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric

Pros

Excellent benefits and compensation package. Great mentoring programs.

Cons

Not enough opportunities for those in mid to late career.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding the business

Politics Rule

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric

Pros

Fair pay and decent benefits

Cons

Ruled by cliques - you're in or you're out. Actual talent and effort matter less than who you know and, more importantly, who likes you

Advice to Management

Stop showing favoritism. Value employees based on their skills and contributions.

7. Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Project Manager II
    Current Employee - Project Manager II

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work life balance and company is very diverse. Many in house training opportunities and people are great to work with.

Cons

Since it is a regulated company, projects often take longer to accomplish than expected due to delayed Commission approval. Experience restructuring of departments and shifting of employees more often than expected.

Great Experience

Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Gas & Electric as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern I was given a lot of responsibility and worked with great people.
    Work life balance or overall culture is amazing.

Cons

Nothing really bad about the company. As an intern you did have limited access to buildings which sometimes made things difficult and could only be there a certain number of hours.

9. Fantastic Company with Good People and Benefits

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule depending upon project demands, great people that have more experience that I've found anywhere else. The pay is a bit on the low side not counting the annual bonus but with the bonus it is on par with other industries for the same experience level. If the bonus was ever to go away I think they would have a tough time keeping their most skilled employees.

Cons

Work is interesting but is totally bogged down in compliance, processes, old ways of thinking, and operating in fear of large fines from overly powerful government regulators. Pay increases are small, so get used to living on what you initially hire in at or plan to leave after a few years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, recognize your key talent and promote them. Do not solely depend upon rotational programs and leadership development programs to recognize leaders in the company. Annual salary increases should

Lay-Offs for cheaper labor

Current Employee - N/A in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with a great group of people. Salary is not bad

Cons

In the 15 years I have been with the company, the last 3-4 years have been the worst by far. Since a regime change in management. The work environment has become so hostile and the attitude is if you don't like it leave. HR does not even care about the employees and when ever a complaint has been filed of late, that complaint just seems to die.
      The CEO needs to go, she is no good and since her and her regime came in life for an employee has been most difficult. I doubt she care or any manager in fact. It's all about the profits the company makes for the stock holders. SDGE management says we are broke and do not have any money, but we continues to see major profits sent out by the CEO.
       The benefits are decent, but seem to be getting smaller as each years goes on. Health insurance cost have gone up and no relief to help the employees. I am only stuck with Kaiser HMO as my only affordable option, Covered California is even worst, to cover my family would be around $1800 a month.
       The company has gotten so bad that there are no dollars for employees to train. I recently heard that SDG&E is out sourcing IT all together, but keeping the infrastructure. As I stated before, the work environment is only going to get worst to force the employees out

Advice to Management

People do count and if you don't like people you need to move on. Some of the people you have in management should not have their positions. I would suggest doing a real back ground check on some of them. Some of the information they have stated over the years are not adding up...Timeline wise, so if they are lying about their job history what else are they lying about. Remember, the small people keep your company running, not management. One last thing, to many chiefs and not enough Indians is true about this company. So really bad chiefs toooooooo!!!!

11. SDG&E is So/So

Current Contractor - Electric GIS Technician in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Electric GIS Technician in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Gas & Electric as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good training opportunities, decent benefits, etc.

Cons

Very little chance to move within the company.