San Diego State University

Updated July 30, 2014

3.7

San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman
Elliot Hirshman

Pros
  • Work life balance was fantastic (in 3 reviews)

• I had a very flexible schedule where I was able to grade papers in between classes or in my free time (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited hours and near minimum wage (in 4 reviews)

• Crappy pay, lots of grading hours beyond the classroom that you won't be compensated for (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good experience, however things move very slow at this school and the department heads are very unorganized

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great benefits, good people, easy job

Cons

Very disorganized, every petition for supplies moves incredibly slow

caring and friendly people!

Current Employee - Student Outreach  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student Outreach in San Diego, CA

Pros

at campus and convenient while I was student.

Cons

working for school is a great opportunity to learn and get experience thought the money is not much.

keep up what you are doing!

Graduate Student Scraping Every Penny

Current Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Freedom to pursue you ideas given the right mentor.

Cons

May have to take out loans if not enough funding from principle investigator.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

From Student Assistant to Administrative Support Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Support Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great benefits and opportunity to further education.

Cons

Very little room for growth and understaffed in certain departments making it harder to provide adequate services to students.

You'll get sucked in by the benefits, but don't get too comfortable.

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst

Pros

Health and retirement benefits are good. You can get sucked in by them. Co-workers are generally pleasant. Managers (with some exceptions) seem to be flexible regarding work/life issues.

Cons

Your starting salary, unless you have an "in" with someone high up, is going to be at the bottom of the hiring range, and you will stay there for YEARS. Your salary increases depend on what the staff union negotiates. Good luck with that. We've had a 1.4% increase since 2007. I have a master's degree and am still near the bottom of my pay range. The California State University is hostile to the staff union, and, on top of that, SDSU HR will fight against most in-range progressions and reclassifications (which both earn you salary increases). However, HR will be happy to rewrite your current job description with new duties you've been doing that should have earned you the raise you requested, and then tell you to sign it, so that way, you are doing the new duties without getting the raise. Really. I've seen this happen twice recently. If you do not have a boss who truly supports you AND has a backbone AND has some pull with HR and the budget people, you aren't going to advance in salary.

When employees leave, their positions usually go unfilled, and the work is dumped on the remaining employee(s), almost always with no additional compensation, often with empty promises of future compensation to that will never materialize.

On the rare occasion when an employee leaves, and the position is opened, the position is dropped from in rank and salary from the classification that it was when the previous employee held it. So the new person will be expected to do the same job (if not with more duties, because, hey, s/he's new, what does s/he know?), for very reduced pay.

Advancement within the university seems more who you know than your experience and competency. I've seen dedicated employees of many, many years get turned down for jobs/promotions that they've been qualified for, while outsiders with fewer qualifications have been hired...and, the current employee has been expected to train the new employee (his/her boss).

I'd like to say stop rewarding your way too many chiefs with raises when your staff deserves raises and recognition, but I know that won't happen.

Learning

Former Employee - Web Technologist  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Web Technologist in San Diego, CA

Pros

I like the office culture and learnt how to make connections

Cons

i learnt a lot by myself in the starting days

good

Working at the SDSU children's center was an awesome part time student job.

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in San Diego, CA

Pros

Welcoming environment, friendly co-workers and parents, very nice atmosphere

Cons

Make sure to initiate break times or you might never get a break. Minimum wage

Have new employees shadow current employees for at least 1 week so they can easily acclimate to the working environment

Gain experience

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Gained experience teaching while in grad school and graduated with two years of experience. Most employers are looking for teaching experience so this is a plus.

Cons

The pay was not great.

new to the university

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Diego, CA

Pros

Beautiful campus, diverse student body, pension, good retirement benefits, semester system.

Cons

Large class size, class load is very heavy at 3 a semester. Frequent budget cuts. Aging facilities.

Worst 4 months of my life.

Former Employee - Food Associate
    Former Employee - Food Associate

Pros

On campus so I could go to class soon after getting off work.
    Was given $6 a day to buy food on campus for the days we worked.

Cons

Managers are rude and unprofessional.
    Managers cut corners with cleanliness and following through with procedures.

Pay attention and take into consideration that students are "student workers" meaning they are a student first. I was constantly having to remind my mangers that I had class at 12:30 therefore I needed to be off work by 12.

Worked for San Diego State University? Contribute to the Community!