San Diego State University

Updated November 30, 2014
3.9

San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman
Elliot Hirshman

Pros
  • As a teaching associate, work-life balance can be tough (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunity to further education (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay averages out to much much less than minimum wage (in 5 reviews)

• Crappy pay, lots of grading hours beyond the classroom that you won't be compensated for (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for students to work

I worked at San Diego State University

Pros

Great experience working with the different programs. All of the staff is very friendly and helpful. It was a very tight-knit community of workers, and they were all very welcoming and help you fit right in. All of the staff were very passionate. The office culture was fun. Staff members dressed up for Halloween and we had fun events and catered lunches. They are very flexible with student schedules.

Cons

They weren't many cons. They didn't have a large budget, so an office of 20+ people were all using the same copier and it made for a hectic office sometimes.

Student Assistant with Division of Undergraduate Studies

Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Between the three offices there's great opportunity for hours. Since there's a team of student assistants maning the same stations it's fairly easy to arrange coverage should you be too sick to work or need more time to study. Office Culture in regards to Student Assistants is "You're a student first," meaning your studies come first before the office; if you need to reallocate work hours to study hours, the office won't fall down. Recognition for the quality and speed of my work was readily given, with regularity. Most of the foot traffic was comprised of students, sometimes the parents of the students, and being able to give advice or direction from a peer-to-peer stand point was very rewarding. 90% of the job was routine, which made it easy as a new hire. The supervisors helped in handling the 10% out-of-the-ordinary occurrences. Always felt like I was directly helping students, even if it was sometimes through assisting in the work of the various program staff.

Cons

With the Budget cuts pay increases were frozen during my tenure there, I was not being paid for the amount of work I was doing. Luckily they were reactivated my last semester.

Staff members need to be able to do the job of a Student Assistant in the event that a student assistant is not available. Students shouldn't feel pressured to work when they have to worry about their studies. Have yearly reviews between the Student Assistants and higher ups that are not their direct supervisor. Many times praise was given where and to whom it was not earned. Have the most experienced Student Assistant participate in the interviews of potential new Student Assistants.

very good university to study and enjoy

Current Employee - Student in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Student in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good for masters program in Computer Science

Cons

No proper on campus jobs

Graduate Assistants aren't paid much, but aren't asked to do much either

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally very flexible (though it depends on your graduate advisor), nice campus, decent benefits

Cons

Mediocre compensation, inconsistent workload from one boss to another

IC Designer

Former Employee - IC Designer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IC Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very good equipment and professor advises, promising future career

Cons

You might need to work for your interest because there might not be enough payment.

Aztec Aquaplex

Current Employee - Aquaplex Lifeguard in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Aquaplex Lifeguard in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a lifeguard at the Aztec Aquaplex, I enjoy the loose hours. Only working 20 hours per week and working around my schedule is very helpful. During finals, I can work as much as I want or none at all. Free membership to the ARC is an added bonus. All the workers are very friendly, and Jake, the boss is super accommodating. If you need help with anything he will do his best to figure out a solution.

Cons

The issue with working at the Aquaplex is that the rules are very inconsistent. Depending on who is the "lead lifeguard" scheduled, you could be doing a ton of annoying busywork during your break, or none at all. It is very frustrating to have such inconsistent leadership. Also there is not much upward mobility.

Have a way for lifeguards to move up the chain of command. It is very easy to feel stagnant in the position of lifeguard.

Employed through the Foundation.

I have been working at San Diego State University

Pros

Great benefits through the Foundation.

Cons

Not as many opportunities as an independent researcher to connect to colleagues.

Great place to work

Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - IT ASSISTANT in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

At CES there is room for growth even starting off as a student employee. In the IT department two full time employees started off as student workers. The people were all very nice and helpful.

Cons

Not always enough work to do and the pay isn't great. For the student computer techs the pay is 9$ and there are no raises at all.

Teaching Associate

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organized HR department and great compensation package. For many positions, there is room for advancement and there are plenty of opportunities for staff involvement. As a teaching associate, work-life balance can be tough. I was lucky enough to be surrounded by staff who made an effort to achieve that balance and to encourage others to do so as well.

Cons

In a teaching associate position, working with difficult students was challenging. However, I never felt like I had to deal with said students by myself, I always had assistance. The hours can also be long during "peak" academic weeks, but those times were balanced out by long vacation periods. San Diego State is a great place to work!

Good college job

Former Employee - Event Staff in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Event Staff in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job to have while in school. Extremely flexible

Cons

Minimum wage and lack of hours makes it hard to want to go to work.