San Diego State University Reviews

Reset
4.0
San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman
Elliot Hirshman

Pros
  • As a teaching associate, work-life balance can be tough (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits through the Foundation (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage and lack of hours makes it hard to want to go to work (in 5 reviews)

1. Great graduate student experience

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a part time teaching associate/ part time graduate student I had a great experience at SDSU. I was involved in interesting research and learned a lot.

Cons

Students salaries are low and it can be hard to get by unless you get access to additional funding from research grants for the summer or scholarships

2. disorganised

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

accommodating to school schedule

Cons

some very rude, self-important and entitled academics who have clearly never worked outside of colleges.

Advice to Management

stop covering up for unprofessional behavior--there is no excuse for a professor screaming at an assistant...

3. Graduate teaching Assistant (Comm 103 program)

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The GTA program is as well structured as one could expect from a position which admittedly takes backseat to graduate studies of its employees. The staff is very helpful and the head of the GTA program (in 2015) takes very good care of his workers.

Cons

The size of the program, students, and atmosphere of SDSU really make up the worst part of the job. Because there are thousands of students each semester and because the program gives most of the work to graduate students, the amount of actual teaching given to the small sections is minimal, unfortunately. This is alright if you're brand new to the teaching process, but a bit tiresome and restraining if you've done it for a while. Also, while. in my experience, the students weren't "bad," they were definitely...typical of the SDSU experience. A fair number of students, especially second semester (almost all the students are freshmen), put forth very little effort and often exhibit an uncaring attitude to in-class work and activities. I have spoken to numerous instructors in the program and it is the same way for each one. This seems to be endemic to the SDSU party-school reputation.

5. Dr. Huxford

Former Employee - Biochemist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Biochemist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to get to work and teach yourself whatever experiment you feel like doing, lots of freedom to explore biochemistry research. It is a fun lab to be in.

Cons

There is not a lot of leadership. People break the equipment frequently. Sometimes it is hard to have someone available to answer questions. Too many people in the lab.

Advice to Management

More leadership would be good. Less people in the lab. Better communication between lab mates. More supervision for people with no experience.

6. A Fun College Job

I worked at San Diego State University

Pros

- Flexible work hours - Do homework during downtime - Work with friendly students

Cons

- Professors mostly unavailable - You are sometimes impromptu tech support

Advice to Management

Try sharing your ideas with your TAs, sometimes we get left in the dark about the motives behind your assignments.

7. Social Media Strategist

Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Social Media Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture and opportunity to explore your talents

Cons

Can be difficult working the hours into the school schedule. Office is only open during the week.

8. Depends on which shop you work

Former Employee - Shop Assistant
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant

I worked at San Diego State University part-time

Pros

If you are selected to work in Starbucks or Aztec market, it's really comfy. They match your class schedule.

Cons

A lot of rules because it is on campus. Always want to cut your hours so that they can save money

Advice to Management

Do not change the schedule after given out just because the manager found out that less customers were coming than expected.

9. Claims Analyst

I have been working at San Diego State University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, flexible work schedule & great campus environment. Wonderful place to work if you're a young person and plan on retiring from here, the retirement benefits are out of this world and cannot be matched, also if you plan on continuing your education or have children that you'd like to assist in their future educational goals, they'll help you out with that as well.

Cons

Minimal room for advancement and little to no pay raises.

10. Graduate assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome company to work for

Cons

full time opprtuinities minimal

11. great experience

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Associate - Math Department in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego State University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great students! I helped many students graduate and some to get into graduate schools by writing them letters of recommendation.

Cons

only a temporary position while I was in graduate school

RSS Feed </> Embed