San Diego State University

Be The First To
Add Photos

San Diego State University President Elliot Hirshman

Elliot Hirshman

Pros
  • Work life balance was fantastic(in 3 reviews)

• I had a very flexible schedule where I was able to grade papers in between classes or in my free time(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited hours and near minimum wage(in 4 reviews)

• Crappy pay, lots of grading hours beyond the classroom that you won't be compensated for(in 3 reviews)

caring and friendly people!

Student Outreach (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosat campus and convenient while I was student.

Consworking for school is a great opportunity to learn and get experience thought the money is not much.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up what you are doing!

Graduate Student Scraping Every Penny

Graduate Student Research Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFreedom to pursue you ideas given the right mentor.

ConsMay have to take out loans if not enough funding from principle investigator.

From Student Assistant to Administrative Support Assistant

Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits and opportunity to further education.

ConsVery little room for growth and understaffed in certain departments making it harder to provide adequate services to students.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'll get sucked in by the benefits, but don't get too comfortable.

Administrative Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsHealth and retirement benefits are good. You can get sucked in by them. Co-workers are generally pleasant. Managers (with some exceptions) seem to be flexible regarding work/life issues.

ConsYour starting salary, unless you have an "in" with someone high up, is going to be at the bottom of the hiring range, and you will stay there for YEARS. Your salary increases depend on what the staff union negotiates. Good luck with that. We've had a 1.4% increase since 2007. I have a master's degree and am still near the bottom of my pay range. The California State University is hostile to the staff union, and, on top of that, SDSU HR will fight against most in-range progressions and reclassifications (which both earn you salary increases). However, HR will be happy to rewrite your current job description with new duties you've been doing that should have earned you the raise you requested, and then tell you to sign it, so that way, you are doing the new duties without getting the raise. Really. I've seen this happen twice recently. If you do not have a boss who truly supports you AND has a backbone AND has some pull with HR and the budget people, you aren't going to advance in salary.

When employees leave, their positions usually go unfilled, and the work is dumped on the remaining employee(s), almost always with no additional compensation, often with empty promises of future compensation to that will never materialize.

On the rare occasion when an employee leaves, and the position is opened, the position is dropped from in rank and salary from the classification that it was when the previous employee held it. So the new person will be expected to do the same job (if not with more duties, because, hey, s/he's new, what does s/he know?), for very reduced pay.

Advancement within the university seems more who you know than your experience and competency. I've seen dedicated employees of many, many years get turned down for jobs/promotions that they've been qualified for, while outsiders with fewer qualifications have been hired...and, the current employee has been expected to train the new employee (his/her boss).

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like to say stop rewarding your way too many chiefs with raises when your staff deserves raises and recognition, but I know that won't happen.

Learning

Web Technologist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI like the office culture and learnt how to make connections

Consi learnt a lot by myself in the starting days

Advice to Senior Managementgood

Working at the SDSU children's center was an awesome part time student job.

Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWelcoming environment, friendly co-workers and parents, very nice atmosphere

ConsMake sure to initiate break times or you might never get a break. Minimum wage

Advice to Senior ManagementHave new employees shadow current employees for at least 1 week so they can easily acclimate to the working environment

Gain experience

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGained experience teaching while in grad school and graduated with two years of experience. Most employers are looking for teaching experience so this is a plus.

ConsThe pay was not great.

Easy money, but better off to work else where

Facility Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsWorks with your school schedule and the work is generally pretty easy.

ConsBosses are biased, unorganized and generally don't seem to be doing anything other than standing around trying to look busy. There's no motivation to work hard for this school because there are no benefits for those who put in hard work and the administrations only priority is making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites.

new to the university

Assistant Professor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBeautiful campus, diverse student body, pension, good retirement benefits, semester system.

ConsLarge class size, class load is very heavy at 3 a semester. Frequent budget cuts. Aging facilities.

Administrative Support Assistant

Administrative Support Coordinator (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsCampus is lovely, benefits are good.

ConsPay seemed less than competitive.

Worked for San Diego State University? Contribute to the Community!