San Diego Supercomputer Center

Lyle Kafader

Great Place for Reasearch

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved working here, everyone is friendly. The company itself is very laid back and as long as you get your work done there are no problems. All the developers are always willing to help and communication among the different departments is great.

Cons

There are slows days where we would have to sit around and continue to test the same things over and over. This cause for things to get a bit stale at times.

on the fence

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

flexible hours, campus location with private offices, good but eroding benefits. Co-workers can be interesting since many are post-docs from all over the world.

Cons

Infrequent pay raises ...negotiate well because COL increases are 2% every 3 years and base compensation is well below industry. Limited opportunities for advancement unless you are a member of the inner Ph.D. circle. Like a previous reviewer wrote "promotions are few if any". Disengaged management with a passive-aggressive style.

Hire professional managers don't promote researchers to management positions.

Great Environment to Experiment and Focus on Work that Piques Your Interest.

Current Employee - Undergraduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Undergraduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

SDSC is an academic institution, and I believe that this mindset really translates over to the work environment. From my experience, we work on projects that seem interesting and care less about shipping off products on some arbitrary deadline and focus more on discovering the effectiveness and possibilities that a project may yield. I am free to approach projects using the technologies that I am comfortable with and have to option to pursue ones that I am interested in learning. They offer their undergraduate researchers the opportunity to teach, contribute to open-source, attend conferences, and even pay for on-site courses. However, the most rewarding pro would be the people you get to work with. As an undergraduate, I greatly appreciate how SDSC has given my the ability to work with seasoned engineers and scientists as peers. I have yet to meet someone in the office that was not understanding and willing to take the time to answer my questions, and from a multitude of different perspectives. Working at SDSC has truly provided me with a length of rewarding experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Cons

I was not on salary and worked for $17/hr. This is not very competitive pay for a position in the IT/CompSci industry. I couldn't find any full-time positions open starting after my current position terminates.

Great people but poor career ladder

Former Employee - Senior Computational Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Computational Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best place for a fresh PhD to work at. Lots of freedom to become an individual contributor with minimal supervision and a nice place to develop some key skills. Laid back environment, flex timings.

Cons

Lack of career ladder, no bonuses stocks 401k contributions, salary is lower than norm and stays stagnant.

You need to find ways to make connections to industry and offer a career ladder and path to salary increments if you want to retain talent.

By far the worst place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The office facility is not too bad.

Cons

The project leaders cannot be any dumber and are so disconnected from how the real world operates, the resources they provide you to lead the projects are extremely incompetent, you have to pay for parking through you nose and that doesn't even guarantee you a spot when the school is in session...I can keep going on why you should run in the other direction if you are offered a job here!!

Just quit...you cannot get any worse!!

Great Science but limited growth potential beyond a certain limit

Current Employee - Researcher in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

Freedom to pursue your projects of interest, that is the biggest pros to working here. Never a dull day at work, and if you are fortunate to be in a good team like I am, you will do leading edge research.

Cons

The center does not have too many career paths and hard to grow beyond a certain limit and that means promotions are few if any. Academia does have its limits and SDSC is no exception.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

Flexible, you can even work at home. A lot of experience people could teach you and so many opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

You will be distracted by the funding problem, each team is supported by the funding, there is not stable.

Since this is an academic institution, i hope the management can be separated from UCSD and SDSC could have more power to control the funding.

SDSC PAIV

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst IV in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst IV in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

Great retirement benefits. Opportunity to work with brilliant, enthusiastic people. Opportunity to take classes and enjoy being on campus.

Cons

Funding is tight. When the grant you're hired to work on is finished you may not have a job.

Others except SDSC to provide excellence in software and service - it's important that SDSC provide service that's at least as secure, reliable and robust as what's common in industry.

Whats going on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

Very flexible timing. university benefits

Cons

It used to be a transparent place with lots of enthusiasm. Now the management has changed and it has become a gossip haven. The place has downsized so much with every man for himself. Lack of leadership is clear.

Encourage old timers and recognize the talent. Dont promise beyond means.

Just because the rats have left doesn't make it an attractive ship.

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst IV in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst IV in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center

Pros

Slack off with total lack of accountability, manage like a tyrant and get promoted for it. Incompetent? We have a window office waiting for you!
    But at least they promote women. Even really awful ones.

Cons

If you have no phd and aren't a manager, you're screwed in countless ways. SDSC lost core funding, so everyone is leaving ASAP, and only the slimy residue of idiots is left.

Leave now. Or yesterday. All of you. Take that job in Delaware you were applying for (did you think we wouldn't hear?)

San Diego Supercomputer Center Photos