San Diego Supercomputer Center Reviews

Lyle Kafader

1. High Performance Computing Consultant

Current Employee - High Performance Computing Consultant in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - High Performance Computing Consultant in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work as I go to UCSD and this is among the higher paid among the on campus jobs. Lots of learning potential and the co-workers are very supportive.

Cons

Some days can be really slow if you prefer a fast paced job.

2. This was a good experience for a high school summer internship. Would recommend if you live in the San Diego area.

Former Intern - Science and Technology in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Science and Technology in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good intern program. Good opportunity to have a first internship. Flexible timing. Worked with cool people. Overall was a good experience.

Cons

Unpaid. My internship didn't really help me develop any technical skills but was more helpful for developing people skills as I was helping with summer computer science based classes.

3. Quiet place to work

Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Quiet place, friendly colleague, near my school and helpful boss.

Cons

No mentor guided. Talked with boss a lot but receive not too much clue on work.

5. on the fence

Pros

flexible hours, campus location with private offices, good but eroding benefits. Co-workers can be interesting since many are post-docs from all over the world.

Cons

Infrequent pay raises ...negotiate well because COL increases are 2% every 3 years and base compensation is well below industry. Limited opportunities for advancement unless you are a member of the inner Ph.D. circle. Like a previous reviewer wrote "promotions are few if any". Disengaged management with a passive-aggressive style.

Advice to Management

Hire professional managers don't promote researchers to management positions.

6. Great Place for Reasearch

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved working here, everyone is friendly. The company itself is very laid back and as long as you get your work done there are no problems. All the developers are always willing to help and communication among the different departments is great.

Cons

There are slows days where we would have to sit around and continue to test the same things over and over. This cause for things to get a bit stale at times.

7. Great Environment to Experiment and Focus on Work that Piques Your Interest.

Current Intern - Undergraduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Current Intern - Undergraduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at San Diego Supercomputer Center as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

SDSC is an academic institution, and I believe that this mindset really translates over to the work environment. From my experience, we work on projects that seem interesting and care less about shipping off products on some arbitrary deadline and focus more on discovering the effectiveness and possibilities that a project may yield. I am free to approach projects using the technologies that I am comfortable with and have to option to pursue ones that I am interested in learning. They offer their undergraduate researchers the opportunity to teach, contribute to open-source, attend conferences, and even pay for on-site courses. However, the most rewarding pro would be the people you get to work with. As an undergraduate, I greatly appreciate how SDSC has given my the ability to work with seasoned engineers and scientists as peers. I have yet to meet someone in the office that was not understanding and willing to take the time to answer my questions, and from a multitude of different perspectives. Working at SDSC has truly provided me with a length of rewarding experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Cons

I was not on salary and worked for $17/hr. This is not very competitive pay for a position in the IT/CompSci industry. I couldn't find any full-time positions open starting after my current position terminates.

8. Great people but poor career ladder

Former Employee - Senior Computational Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Computational Scientist in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best place for a fresh PhD to work at. Lots of freedom to become an individual contributor with minimal supervision and a nice place to develop some key skills. Laid back environment, flex timings.

Cons

Lack of career ladder, no bonuses stocks 401k contributions, salary is lower than norm and stays stagnant.

Advice to Management

You need to find ways to make connections to industry and offer a career ladder and path to salary increments if you want to retain talent.

9. By far the worst place to work!

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Supercomputer Center as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The office facility is not too bad.

Cons

The project leaders cannot be any dumber and are so disconnected from how the real world operates, the resources they provide you to lead the projects are extremely incompetent, you have to pay for parking through you nose and that doesn't even guarantee you a spot when the school is in session...I can keep going on why you should run in the other direction if you are offered a job here!!

Advice to Management

Just quit...you cannot get any worse!!

10. Great Science but limited growth potential beyond a certain limit

Current Employee - Researcher in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Researcher in San Diego, CA

Pros

Freedom to pursue your projects of interest, that is the biggest pros to working here. Never a dull day at work, and if you are fortunate to be in a good team like I am, you will do leading edge research.

Cons

The center does not have too many career paths and hard to grow beyond a certain limit and that means promotions are few if any. Academia does have its limits and SDSC is no exception.

11. Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Flexible, you can even work at home. A lot of experience people could teach you and so many opportunities to learn new technology.

Cons

You will be distracted by the funding problem, each team is supported by the funding, there is not stable.

Advice to Management

Since this is an academic institution, i hope the management can be separated from UCSD and SDSC could have more power to control the funding.

RSS Feed </> Embed