San Diego Unified School District

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
3.5

Bill Kowba

AVID Tutor at Jean Farb Middle School. Assisted in promoting independent, critical thinking while and college entry

Former Employee - AVID Tutor  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - AVID Tutor in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District part-time for more than a year

Pros

$11/hr or salary depending on contract, flexible hours, set academic curriculum, amazing supervisor and caring teachers, and sometimes participation on field trips and school assemblies.

Cons

not much room for growth, daily tasks tend to get monotonous, kids can be very frustrating if you don't have a back bone

I definitely appreciated the guidance of the teachers when holding group discussion with our individual tables. Also, maybe certain themes or topics can be implemented to the groups so that they have a foundation to build their questions off of. Otherwise, I loved working here!

A district that's improving, not corrupt, and focusing on higher student achievement

Current Employee - Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Independence as a high school educator, solid pay structure

Cons

Unions - their time has passed, and their power continues to be abused

Have stricter policies for hiring and maintaining teachers

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Resource Teacher
    Current Employee - Resource Teacher

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time

Pros

Good teachers in some schools. The community is genuinely interested in having quality schools for their children.

Cons

The salary is mediocre and there is a constant erosion of teachers rights. Some administrators are incompetent.

Share the decision with teachers, you will go farther if teachers buy out in the ideas that can be implemented.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Public education is an archaic system set up to reward teachers.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The students. The generous time off and excellent health benefits.

Cons

Most principals have very little teaching experience and it's been years since they've been a classroom teacher. Some teachers should have never become teachers because they hate children. Senior admin is very disconnected from what actually happens in the classroom because when they come around for a walk-through, the teacher knows they're coming and usually does a dog and pony show. As soon as management leaves, they go back to doing what they want. The union is not a professional organization that wants the best for students. They are only interested in preserving the union by using fear. The working conditions are horrible. Any reasonably educated professional would be disgusted by the conditions in schools: they're filthy, there's no A/C, they're infested with cockroaches and ants (because using chemical bug killers is against the law), they're old, there are limited bathroom facilities (one bathroom for 30 women) usually not stocked or cleaned well, there are limited supplies (I spent $5000 my first year as a teacher just buying normal classroom supplies - Imagine a surgeon being expected to stock the O.R.) and there is no parking lot. The Human Resources Department is neither Human nor a Resource. In 20 years of working for SDUSD, I have never spoken to anyone in HR that knows what they're doing, cares about what they're doing, or treats people with care and respect. It's as though they believe employees are like office furniture and can be replaced as easily as buying a new chair.

Every three years, rotate back into the classroom and teach for a year. If your evaluation is acceptable (as judged by your teaching peers), then you may return to admin for another three years.

It was overall a good experience, except for having to move around too much.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time

Pros

The weather is ideal, a lot of great people.

Cons

If you are in special education, be prepared to be moved around.

Worst School District

Former Employee - Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Actually having a teaching job

Cons

- Lowest paid school district in California
    - Extreme lack of resources
    - Poor working conditions
    - Lack of development provided for new teachers

- Your HR department is seriously understaffed, and many of the people who work there are clueless.

Good ole boys club

Former Employee - Bus Driver  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Bus Driver in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, getting paid for 8 hrs & only working 4hrs, freedom to do what you want, no one looking over your shoulder.

Cons

The Management & Safety Dept look out for themselves & not what's best for the students, same goes for CSEA, when you need them they really don't have your back. A lot of sweeping issues under the rug & turning a blind eye!

Instead of promoting friends, hire professionals who have the proper training. The district should clean house, & take a good look @ what's really going on in the Transportation Dept, you'd be disgusted!!

I was hired misleadingly, and the experience got worse from there.

Former Employee - Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits including 100% insurance coverage.

Cons

- Human resources is a mess. Each time I went there or called in it took a minimum of three people to figure something out, if it got figured out at all.
    - Terrible working conditions. I taught at a school with no air conditioning or heating and it was constantly filthy.

- Visit some other school districts around the country to see how things run in a successful environment.

Working here is very supportive and very enjoyable.

Current Employee - Coach/Campus Security Assistant  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Coach/Campus Security Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District for more than 10 years

Pros

The human resources staff always help when you have a question and update you whenyou need help.

Cons

I haven't ran into any yet.

Keep doing whats your doing it working.

I was a Special Ed. Tech. wich consited primarily of teaching diabled students keep up with the rest of the class.

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The most fulfilling feeling of acomplish when the lights come on in the task or lesson your teaching that day.

Cons

Getting through the barriors of fear and hatred that some parents and costudent put in some of the students heads that convince them that there incapable, truly sad.

nane they do there best.

Worked for San Diego Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!