San Diego Unified School District

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Kowba

A district that's improving, not corrupt, and focusing on higher student achievement

Teacher (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIndependence as a high school educator, solid pay structure

ConsUnions - their time has passed, and their power continues to be abused

Advice to Senior ManagementHave stricter policies for hiring and maintaining teachers

Public education is an archaic system set up to reward teachers.

Teacher (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe students. The generous time off and excellent health benefits.

ConsMost principals have very little teaching experience and it's been years since they've been a classroom teacher. Some teachers should have never become teachers because they hate children. Senior admin is very disconnected from what actually happens in the classroom because when they come around for a walk-through, the teacher knows they're coming and usually does a dog and pony show. As soon as management leaves, they go back to doing what they want. The union is not a professional organization that wants the best for students. They are only interested in preserving the union by using fear. The working conditions are horrible. Any reasonably educated professional would be disgusted by the conditions in schools: they're filthy, there's no A/C, they're infested with cockroaches and ants (because using chemical bug killers is against the law), they're old, there are limited bathroom facilities (one bathroom for 30 women) usually not stocked or cleaned well, there are limited supplies (I spent $5000 my first year as a teacher just buying normal classroom supplies - Imagine a surgeon being expected to stock the O.R.) and there is no parking lot. The Human Resources Department is neither Human nor a Resource. In 20 years of working for SDUSD, I have never spoken to anyone in HR that knows what they're doing, cares about what they're doing, or treats people with care and respect. It's as though they believe employees are like office furniture and can be replaced as easily as buying a new chair.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery three years, rotate back into the classroom and teach for a year. If your evaluation is acceptable (as judged by your teaching peers), then you may return to admin for another three years.

It was overall a good experience, except for having to move around too much.

Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe weather is ideal, a lot of great people.

ConsIf you are in special education, be prepared to be moved around.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst School District

Teacher (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Actually having a teaching job

Cons- Lowest paid school district in California
    - Extreme lack of resources
    - Poor working conditions
    - Lack of development provided for new teachers

Advice to Senior Management- Your HR department is seriously understaffed, and many of the people who work there are clueless.

Good ole boys club

Bus Driver (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits, getting paid for 8 hrs & only working 4hrs, freedom to do what you want, no one looking over your shoulder.

ConsThe Management & Safety Dept look out for themselves & not what's best for the students, same goes for CSEA, when you need them they really don't have your back. A lot of sweeping issues under the rug & turning a blind eye!

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of promoting friends, hire professionals who have the proper training. The district should clean house, & take a good look @ what's really going on in the Transportation Dept, you'd be disgusted!!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

I was hired misleadingly, and the experience got worse from there.

Teacher (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat benefits including 100% insurance coverage.

Cons- Human resources is a mess. Each time I went there or called in it took a minimum of three people to figure something out, if it got figured out at all.
    - Terrible working conditions. I taught at a school with no air conditioning or heating and it was constantly filthy.

Advice to Senior Management- Visit some other school districts around the country to see how things run in a successful environment.

Working here is very supportive and very enjoyable.

Coach/Campus Security Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe human resources staff always help when you have a question and update you whenyou need help.

ConsI haven't ran into any yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing whats your doing it working.

I worked at a great school, but the district had issues.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive admin, focused staff, numerous extracurricular activities for students.

ConsPinks slips are handed out almost every year

I was a Special Ed. Tech. wich consited primarily of teaching diabled students keep up with the rest of the class.

Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe most fulfilling feeling of acomplish when the lights come on in the task or lesson your teaching that day.

ConsGetting through the barriors of fear and hatred that some parents and costudent put in some of the students heads that convince them that there incapable, truly sad.

Advice to Senior Managementnane they do there best.

There is never a dull moment!

Special Education Health Technician (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEmployees learn multi-tasking skills daily.

ConsNon that I see so far.

Worked for San Diego Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!