San Diego Unified School District

Bill Kowba

Good school district to sub for in San Diego

Current Employee - Sub Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sub Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As of 2014, San Diego City Schools pays more ($144/day) than any other district in the county. I am called for jobs every day, and the sub desk is very helpful and the Sub Finder system is pretty efficient at calling out for jobs.

Cons

Schools south of I-8 can be challening to work in. The administrators in these schools can be supportive of you, and at other times they have too much on their plates to offer any help on those especially challenging days in the classroom.

Great benefits and pay

Current Employee - School Psychologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - School Psychologist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Autonomy, compensation, professional development, schedule. School psychologists are well treated in the district and have support from the senior psychs. You can organize your day as you wish so long as you get your required duties (testing) completed. I'd recommend this district.

Cons

Very top heavy district. Lots of redundant paperwork. Depending on which school site you are assigned you may have poor working conditions in terms of not having a designated work space/office.

It was challenging to work for SDUSD when my position was tenuous for 7 years as per hiring practices.

Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Classroom Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching is teaching and I love teaching.

Cons

The union is a representative for teachers no matter how well they teach. The union and district do not work well together. The district administration is bureaucratic in nature.

Great Company

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Great Benefits Great

Cons

Racism Racism Racism Racism Racism

Hire those qualified

San Diego Unified School district backstabs whistle blowers.

I worked at San Diego Unified School District

Pros

It was great helping families.

Cons

Many staff lie and there is no video survallance in the classroom to disproove a lying administrator. The district stock piled furnature in warehouses to stay within budget but claims it cannot afford airconditioners in 110 degree trailer classrooms. Administrators do not accomodate disabilities of staff like allowing bathroom breaks. Students who should be sent to mental hospitals or prison are retained because the school gets paid based on enrollment and attendance.

Administrators often favor hiring male teachers to break up violent fights and I saw many female administrators flirt with male teachers.

AVID Tutor at Jean Farb Middle School. Assisted in promoting independent, critical thinking while and college entry

Former Employee - AVID Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - AVID Tutor in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District part-time (more than an year)

Pros

$11/hr or salary depending on contract, flexible hours, set academic curriculum, amazing supervisor and caring teachers, and sometimes participation on field trips and school assemblies.

Cons

not much room for growth, daily tasks tend to get monotonous, kids can be very frustrating if you don't have a back bone

I definitely appreciated the guidance of the teachers when holding group discussion with our individual tables. Also, maybe certain themes or topics can be implemented to the groups so that they have a foundation to build their questions off of. Otherwise, I loved working here!

A district that's improving, not corrupt, and focusing on higher student achievement

Current Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Independence as a high school educator, solid pay structure

Cons

Unions - their time has passed, and their power continues to be abused

Have stricter policies for hiring and maintaining teachers

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Resource Teacher
    Current Employee - Resource Teacher

I have been working at San Diego Unified School District full-time

Pros

Good teachers in some schools. The community is genuinely interested in having quality schools for their children.

Cons

The salary is mediocre and there is a constant erosion of teachers rights. Some administrators are incompetent.

Share the decision with teachers, you will go farther if teachers buy out in the ideas that can be implemented.

Public education is an archaic system set up to reward teachers.

Current Employee - Teacher in San Diego, CA

Pros

The students. The generous time off and excellent health benefits.

Cons

Most principals have very little teaching experience and it's been years since they've been a classroom teacher. Some teachers should have never become teachers because they hate children. Senior admin is very disconnected from what actually happens in the classroom because when they come around for a walk-through, the teacher knows they're coming and usually does a dog and pony show. As soon as management leaves, they go back to doing what they want. The union is not a professional organization that wants the best for students. They are only interested in preserving the union by using fear. The working conditions are horrible. Any reasonably educated professional would be disgusted by the conditions in schools: they're filthy, there's no A/C, they're infested with cockroaches and ants (because using chemical bug killers is against the law), they're old, there are limited bathroom facilities (one bathroom for 30 women) usually not stocked or cleaned well, there are limited supplies (I spent $5000 my first year as a teacher just buying normal classroom supplies - Imagine a surgeon being expected to stock the O.R.) and there is no parking lot. The Human Resources Department is neither Human nor a Resource. In 20 years of working for SDUSD, I have never spoken to anyone in HR that knows what they're doing, cares about what they're doing, or treats people with care and respect. It's as though they believe employees are like office furniture and can be replaced as easily as buying a new chair.

Every three years, rotate back into the classroom and teach for a year. If your evaluation is acceptable (as judged by your teaching peers), then you may return to admin for another three years.

It was overall a good experience, except for having to move around too much.

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in San Diego, CA

I worked at San Diego Unified School District full-time

Pros

The weather is ideal, a lot of great people.

Cons

If you are in special education, be prepared to be moved around.