San Diego Union-Tribune

Updated May 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Lynch

From intern's view, company is moving slowly, anxiously under new management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA strong pride in San Diego life and culture permeates the company. Most employees believe that San Diego is a great place to live.

ConsPeople seem tired and worn by the churn of paper operations. The flow of money towards U-T TV seems to be a cause of resentment among older divisions, advertising teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork towards a more open culture, where every employee feels like upper management cares about their opinions and needs

Work

Editor (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsIt was great with a nice atmosphere.

ConsSome of the people who worked there were not cool

Acquired a knowledge base of the publishing business, but little opportunity for career development and advancement.

Advertising (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Prosregular hours, no expectation or practice of overtime. pretty good benefits. cafeteria and gym on site. central location with easy access off freeway.

Consan 'old media' business that is largely stagnate with a business model that has gradually - like most newspapers-changed in response to the great media disruption that has occurred in the last 10 years or so.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Before "Papa" Doug Manchester purchased the paper it was a great place to work. Not so much after that.

Senior Writer (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsWhen Copley owned the paper, the employees were treated and compensated fairly. Things changed when the paper was sold, first to Platninum Equity and then to Manchester. Nothing pro about it now.

ConsBuilding a TV station and hiring a bunch of wannebes was a huge waste of money. The ratings are awful, which is not surprising considering the content was terrible. It was the worst decision of the new owners. The new lack of journalistic tenets and integrity established a general unsavory climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professionals with experience. Acknowledge those who deserve it. Don't play favorites. Have a commitment to practice fair and balanced journalism. Don't be the Fox News of newspapers.

Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat People to work with.

ConsTop Level Executives who have been let go from other failing publications were hired to "save the U-T" (mmmkay) bringing their bad decisions and management style, while continuing their stream of failures including UT-TV, U-T Rewards, Vida Latina, NC Times, DiscoverSD, etc.. Revenue and audience continue to decline across all platforms; print, digital, TV. Lots of inner-fighting over accounts. Ugly boiler -room environment created by old-school print managers who are not familiar with how successful companies retain good employees, ridiculously stressful job due to constant knee jerk reactions that come from the top. Customers do not get what they pay for and sales team has to handle irate clients on a daily basis. The U-T has not yet figured out how to be successful and it is shows in the loss of 401K, benefits, multiple lay-offs and declining circulation and page-views.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a leader that your team can respect, stop being a yes-man/woman, listen to your sales team, address issues that customers are having with poor performing products, stop hiding in your office with the door closed making bad decisions that you just hand over to sales to make happen. Focus on your core products.

Given me an opportunity to grow in knowledge about the business.

Pressman (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI have worked with them for 13 yrs. I really enjoyed working with my co-workers.

ConsI was layoff because of downsizing. The high tech. is taking over the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wise who you layoff.

For the majority of my time there, I loved it. However, a change of ownership and management changed my outlook.

Reporter (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI learned a lot during the majority of my time there. The former owner treated its employees well. I was satisfied with the compensation, benefis and job security. I liked the people, the culture, etc., but that all changed when the Copley family sold the paper.

ConsOwnership does not follow tenets of journalism. They don't have a clue. Owners try to impart their political views, try to influence media coverage. They hire inexperienced people and pay them peanuts while laying off those who make too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Be inclusive. Be ethical. Practice integrity. Fire the incompetent ones and hire back the worthy ones.

Great Employer overall. Recession highly effected downturn of business in the newspaper business.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsUT provided many opportunities within the sales department. I was part of the international sales team & also helped launch some of the new Hispanic media market products.

ConsWorking in the outlying office sometimes was challenging, some of the resources and support was not as much of a priority for the outlying offices outside of Mission Valley.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay ahead of the curve and progressive in the latest media trends.

A Journey To Remember

Arts & Entertainment (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsLunch talks with senior reporters who give great advice, lots of hands on work to improve writing, your own desk!, free access into Comic-Con

ConsNot a lot of room for career advancement, some tedious task, a little over worked for just school credit. It would have been nice to get a small stipend.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your interns. They deserve it.

Enjoyed my time there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, great location, good product.

ConsPoor web design team. Innovative but not customer need driven.

Worked for San Diego Union-Tribune? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at San Diego Union-Tribune reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for San Diego Union-Tribune CEO John Lynch. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by San Diego Union-Tribune employees.