San Francisco Department of Public Health

Add Photos

Mitchell H Katz

Best level one trauma hops in Bay Area

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBest experience for practice with good benefits and pay

ConsHigh stress and very challenged place to work

Underpaid, and hired at level lower than my skills, to perform at skill level.

Health Worker (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDecent benefits, though less positive than when i was hired. The illusive retirement plan, which vests in 5 years at 40 hours per week.

ConsSo many. Accessibility for employees is deeply problematic, aforementioned chronic hiring of new employees at lower job classifications, then failing to come through with moves within agencies to compensate. Hostile work environments! For a city that touts itself as being progressive, this is extremely poorly reflected in upper and middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop undervaluing your employees. Start firing higher level employees who abuse their staff.

Decent research experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Experience, good people to be around

ConsFrustrating limitations and red tape

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"As Real as It Gets"

E D Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt was definitely a great place to work!

ConsNot everyone can handle it....

Advice to Senior Management(I'll get back to this one a little later...)

A supportive, cooperative environment where everyone was trying to do their part to help San Franciscans.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStaff is friendly. Work is important. You are a part of a dynamic system that supports the city of San Francisco.

ConsMany projects at once so your focus area might not get due attention all the time -- but that's expected for a department that serves such a large region. Slightly bureaucratic system but not enough to drive you crazy like other places.

A Mixed Bag...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWork on interesting projects that can have a real impact and help people. Location is near a BART station and park and weekly farmer's markets. Workers all friendly and welcoming. Some leniency for you to explore projects on a deeper level if you are interesting in pursuing something more challenging.

ConsSudden budget cuts can lead to near immediate and unexpected job losses, hard to advance, low pay, some lack of respect for people in the lesser job positions. Lots of bureaucracy for most anything you want to do. Not a lot of feedback on work product, easy to get burned out because you work hard and other people may just be doing the bare minimum.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more cohesive plans for projects and make sure everyone is on the same page before changing midstream.

Very difficult, but rewarding job.

ProsCaring, passionate co-workers; helping an under-served population; excellent compensation

ConsPopulation can be stressful and demanding, administration is bureaucratic

Worked for San Francisco Department of Public Health? Contribute to the Community!