San Francisco Federal Credit Union

Updated June 22, 2014

2.5

San Francisco Federal Credit Union President and CEO Steven Stapp
Steven Stapp

Most rewarding company that I've worked for thus far!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

My hard work is rewarded with many forms of recognition ranging from monetary to verbal praise from my supervisor. I feel that I am part of the solution and that the work I am contributing is making a difference towards the success of the credit union. I am excited to see more of us work collaboratively to meet and exceed our goals!

Cons

There are still some staff members who haven't accepted recent changes and are dragging others down. I contribute as many ideas as possible to bring these individuals around, however, at the end of the day, if they're unhappy...it may be time to go.

Hold poor performing individuals accountable, especially if in a management position as staff model their behavior by what they observe. Typically, our high performing departments have strong, hard working leaders at the helm.

Steer clear if you have career aspirations

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, work/life balance, friendly co-workers.

Cons

As much as it's communicated or it's striving to be a high-performing organization, senior management at this company is the exact reason why it will never be one.

1) Managers do not practice good leadership skills in making decisions that affect the organization. They pander to trivial grievances, such as addressing petty employee gossip, reviewing timesheets down to the minute, and soliciting vending machine requests, instead of getting real work done.

2) Priority is placed on finishing tasks one-by-one only to check them off the queue, rather than having the foresight and perspective to complete long-term and sustainable “big picture” projects.

3) Professional feedback and opinions are met with resistance and will put you in a vulnerable position with the status quo, even if that feedback is for the betterment of the organization or project. In short, the less you care, the better off you are.

Make hard decisions and let go of your egos. Stop handling employees with kid gloves and start treating them as valuable, contributing members of a team.

Change and Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The organization is definately changing and on the right direction - the status quo is out. Benefits and compensation are good and with growth come opportunties. Learning opportunities that didn't exist before are now available. Working hard brings recognition.

Cons

Still too many stuck on the old value system. Mid managers need to help staff with learning opportunties and allocate talent more effectively.

Continue to listen to employee input. Become more engaged with employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized, behind on technology, too many lazy long-time employees

Pros

Benefits are good, it's nice working for a small company

Cons

Some of the processes here are so inefficient. They love paperwork and it's embarassing how archaic some of our procedures are.

Most of the senior leadership team do not really lead. They're trying too hard to be everyone's friend, not realizing they lose good people because they don't handle the lousy employees.

This place is okay if you have little motivation and are complacent in your career. Want to move up, learn more, or be part of a cutting edge organization? Look elsewhere.

Great if you're complacent in your career

Pros

Pay is better than average, as are the benefits.

Cons

Very little opportunity for career advancement, and senior management seems to not know how to deal with employees that want to move up -- thus the type of people they need to keep end up leaving for better opportunities, while many low-performing long-time employees remain. Things move very slowly here and a lot of time is wasted with inefficient processes and politics.

Government job and political culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good compensation and benefits. Your co-workers treat you like family

Cons

There is no advancement within the company and it is not clear what you need to do inorder to move up. The hiring process is very unorganized. Within the first month of employment you can really tell how bad the communication is in this organization. There is a constant miscommunication with all departments. Upper Management seem to only care about themselves and their own careers. If you are in the wrong department like I was you wouldn't get any advancement no matter how hard you work. They spend a lot money on communication software but it does not help or improve anything but just take away time from daily work and money

create team environment. Preach what you say and be a good example to the employees. Hire the right person that fit the job

Steady Eddy...and What Not..

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good employee benefits including paid PTO, holiday pays, company paid contributions to 401k without employee contributions. Employee loan discounts.

Cons

Things operate very slow here, it takes management months to make up their decisions. Poor managment decision and business strategies. Never willing to take risk even if it's managable risks. The company is sooo behind in terms of technology that we are always lacking in what the industry is doing. No one test or ask staff how they feel about products and services before it is rolled out. Every time there is an upgrade to our main system, services changes for the worst for the customers who use our services. Operationally, we are lacking leadership and management expertise.

Shape up and ask staff what they think about their operations. CEO needs to listen to everyone

Worked for San Francisco Federal Credit Union? Contribute to the Community!