San Francisco General Hospital

CEO

Enjoyable work experience.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working with my colleagues. Everyone I encountered were friendly and helpful.

Cons

At times, work was overloaded with just me on the work chedule.

Would like more training before being let loose after just 30 minutes on first day on the job.

I worked at SFGH as an intern and found it very helpful in introducing me to the public health field hands on.

Former Intern - Public Health Department in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Public Health Department in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital as an intern

Pros

I was never hired as an employee but thought they had a great system in supporting each other through hard and emotional cases with patients. They also shared excellent meetings in creating systems to best satisfy their patients.

Cons

I did not experience any cons while working as an intern at SFGH.

N/A

Leadership is positive and teamwork is present in the ICU. Upper management makes poor choices.

Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork is great in the ICU's and at this time you don't have to float outside of the ICU's.

Cons

We tend to be lagging in standards of practice at times. No communication between higher management and staff.

Be concerned with your hospital and the community it serves, not the money you can save on the backs of staff and some imaginary project it will go to.

Top heavy

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Smart, resourceful, incredibly dedicated front-line staff.
    -Chaotic, but never boring work.
    -Shared sense of purpose (or at least there used to be).
    -New, modern building will be finished in about a year.

Cons

Administration is increasingly isolated and dysfunctional. Organization is becoming extremely top-heavy, with inexperienced individuals who don't listen to the ranks and file. Situation isn't yet unsalvageable... yet.

Listen to the staff when they tell you the equipment, especially the multiple, noninteroperable EHRs slow providers down and make patient care less safe. Recalibrate the ratio of administrators to front-line workers.

At the General I have seen a lot of new situations and have been put to the test with all my abilities.

Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pros to the job is it offers very good experience

Cons

Cons to this job is some of the patients that we need to deal with

open more permenate jobs

Wonderful

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital

Pros

SFGH has a great staff and nurturing environment.

Cons

However, SFGH is also a very old

The top brass don't think intensive psychiatric care is important but the staff who provide the care do.

Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You get to provide care to people who really need it. Public hospitals are the safety net for people with mental illnesses who would otherwise go without care. The patients are often truly grateful for your services - even though they are involuntary patients.The salary and benefits are excellent. I've worked with some really great people who I've learned a lot from. There are Grand Rounds Weekly and they have excellent presentations.

Cons

Because the salary and benefits are good, some of my colleagues are working here pretty much just for those and not particularly because they want to help the patients. They do the bare minimum and are a pain in the you know what to work with. Top management treat staff like cattle - like you should be happy to have a g-d job. The direct supervisor I had wasn't like this but she was fighting her bosses and the bureaucracy's attitude toward us 24/7.

Consider spending some time (even if it's one day a year) on each unit. Attend rounds, sit in on groups, look at some charts, etc. Don't just rely on the reports of middle managers. Also, it might give you an interest in the field of psychiatry and the staff who work there - something it seems you don't currently have.

Good hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get the sick of the sick!

Cons

Paper charting in some departments

Find more resources for staff nurses

Overall, a pretty good place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Pharmacist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

1. Teaching hospital, lots of opportunity to interact and provide input on patient care.
    2. Progressive-minded clinical staff, responsive supervisory staff.
    3. Salary and benefits package are about the best in the city.
    4. Very liberal and progressive attitude overall in institution.
    5. Great opportunity to work with the poor and underserved community.

Cons

1. Technology is behind the times. Multiple software packages that don't always interface well.
    2. Almost ZERO chance of getting a daytime position. Unionized, seniority based.
    3. Notable rivalry between middle management and senior staff.
    4. Lots of animosity between middle management and staff, some between staff and clinical staff.

Operate with more transparency so that it doesn't appear that you are trying to hide everything from the staff. Take a bit more egalitarian tone with communications. Have a more organized orientation for new employees.

Great place to work

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific opportunity to work with underserved populations.

Cons

limited resources, the environment is not very appealing

focus on treating your employee's well and the patient satisfaction will follow