San Francisco General Hospital

Updated April 10, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.8
CEO

1. Wonderful experience as a staff!

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the staff and the never-ending challenge on the floor! Very hard-working and knowlegeable about their roles and responsibilities. The Psychiatric component of our patients is a plus! Staff that I don't even know smile and greet me everday (keep smiling people!) I work in an ACE Med-Surg where the staff help each other get patients 65+/yo up on their beds and walk, bath, exercise and sit up each meal so they don't get weak just laying on their beds all day, waiting for their 'verdicts' from doctors (and no pneumonias!). Patients are also wonderful and very appreciative of the work. I love our PT/OT/SP and our UCSF docs/interns/medstudents, Social workers, dietary staff, IP and more -- who are very eager to learn and have a heart of gold. Thank you for maintaining that burning passion we need in the face of austerity measures.

Cons

Management is not appreciative of the work. Treats PCAs like we're inferior. Budget is too small for a big "teaching hospital".

Advice to Management

Time to roll up your sleeves and shadow the floor in real time! Don't rely on subjective reporting from middle management. Motivate the staff more, listen to them, step off your high horses and let's get the work done in a fair manner and everyone wins! This hospital is already a "magnet"! Set realistic goals and FOLLOW-THROUGH! Don't just sweep it under the rug.

2. I was a student nurse.

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital

Pros

Interesting environment with many challenging cases

Cons

Because it is a teaching hospital, the environment is chaotic.

Advice to Management

It would be good if the cafeteria can offer more food variety.

I worked at SFGH as an intern and found it very helpful in introducing me to the public health field hands on.

Former Intern - Public Health Department in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Public Health Department in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital as an intern

Pros

I was never hired as an employee but thought they had a great system in supporting each other through hard and emotional cases with patients. They also shared excellent meetings in creating systems to best satisfy their patients.

Cons

I did not experience any cons while working as an intern at SFGH.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. Enjoyable work experience.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at San Francisco General Hospital as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working with my colleagues. Everyone I encountered were friendly and helpful.

Cons

At times, work was overloaded with just me on the work chedule.

Advice to Management

Would like more training before being let loose after just 30 minutes on first day on the job.

Leadership is positive and teamwork is present in the ICU. Upper management makes poor choices.

Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - ICU RN in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork is great in the ICU's and at this time you don't have to float outside of the ICU's.

Cons

We tend to be lagging in standards of practice at times. No communication between higher management and staff.

Advice to Management

Be concerned with your hospital and the community it serves, not the money you can save on the backs of staff and some imaginary project it will go to.

Top heavy

Current Employee - Clinician
    Current Employee - Clinician

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Smart, resourceful, incredibly dedicated front-line staff.
    -Chaotic, but never boring work.
    -Shared sense of purpose (or at least there used to be).
    -New, modern building will be finished in about a year.

Cons

Administration is increasingly isolated and dysfunctional. Organization is becoming extremely top-heavy, with inexperienced individuals who don't listen to the ranks and file. Situation isn't yet unsalvageable... yet.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff when they tell you the equipment, especially the multiple, noninteroperable EHRs slow providers down and make patient care less safe. Recalibrate the ratio of administrators to front-line workers.

At the General I have seen a lot of new situations and have been put to the test with all my abilities.

Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - MEA and Phlebotomist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros to the job is it offers very good experience

Cons

Cons to this job is some of the patients that we need to deal with

Advice to Management

open more permenate jobs

Wonderful

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital

Pros

SFGH has a great staff and nurturing environment.

Cons

However, SFGH is also a very old

The top brass don't think intensive psychiatric care is important but the staff who provide the care do.

Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Psychiatric Social Worker in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You get to provide care to people who really need it. Public hospitals are the safety net for people with mental illnesses who would otherwise go without care. The patients are often truly grateful for your services - even though they are involuntary patients.The salary and benefits are excellent. I've worked with some really great people who I've learned a lot from. There are Grand Rounds Weekly and they have excellent presentations.

Cons

Because the salary and benefits are good, some of my colleagues are working here pretty much just for those and not particularly because they want to help the patients. They do the bare minimum and are a pain in the you know what to work with. Top management treat staff like cattle - like you should be happy to have a g-d job. The direct supervisor I had wasn't like this but she was fighting her bosses and the bureaucracy's attitude toward us 24/7.

Advice to Management

Consider spending some time (even if it's one day a year) on each unit. Attend rounds, sit in on groups, look at some charts, etc. Don't just rely on the reports of middle managers. Also, it might give you an interest in the field of psychiatry and the staff who work there - something it seems you don't currently have.

Good hospital

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco General Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get the sick of the sick!

Cons

Paper charting in some departments

Advice to Management

Find more resources for staff nurses