San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

Updated Apr 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ann Moller Caen

Great people, but bureaucratic and siloed

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time for less than a year

ProsI love most of my colleagues. I work with smart, friendly, helpful people who I'm interested in knowing both in the office and out. The organization, especially my dept., the Power Enterprise, is growing and changing. This creates room for being a positive part of the change in a public service agency, something I value.

ConsUpper management can be frustrating and opaque. A lot of hurry-up-and-finish a project that's never seen again. Shifting city politics and public money lead to risk-aversion and sudden about-faces in policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe enforcement of hierarchy and discouragement of communication across levels/groups/departments is de-motivating. I do not do my best work when I don't understand the reasoning behind my tasks, the work of my colleagues, our department, or the organization as whole. Increase and encourage communication, listen to your employees more.

Dreadful, humiliating, dysfunctional

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

ProsThe work itself can be interesting at times.

ConsEmployees are ridiculed and humiliated in front of everyone. Very severe micromanaging to the point where no work gets done on time. Staff members turn on each other to avoid lashings. Difficult to work as a team and complete assignments due to the micromanaging and constant fear of ridicule.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should seek training to learn more modern and effective techniques in addition to some anger management and team building.

Good learning experience

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

ProsFlexible schedule. Much learning opportunity.

ConsNo formal training given to entree level engineers and interns.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jr Engineer ( Formal )

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance and lot of downtime. Work isn't fulfilling or something to be proud off.

ConsLack of team mentality, lack diversity, arrogant and incompetence managers, boring job due to the lot of downtime and no direction, employees coasting and don't really care. Bad work environment.

Lacks unified vision and purpose

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIndividually, most people are nice. There are resources and a lot of work happening because it is an enterprise government agency not dependent on property taxes. Stable and good pay. Union rules protect you from being fire for doing the bare minimum.

ConsTypical gov. bureacracy with process upon process, but no managers that don't drive for innovation. Very top down management approach usefully found in government. Hard to get rid of low performers which brings down the overall morale. No stretch goals or values so difficult to motivate teams. Many managers have no idea what they are doing and shouldn't be managing. That said, probably better than a lot of government agencies, but is that really a good measuring stick?

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management creates such bureacracy to retain control. As much as you talk about being transparent and open, decisions made at the top are not.

Cool work, demoralizing staffing situation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time for more than 8 years

Prossome interesting and innovative projects, relatively high pay, very 9-5, would have to murder someone to get fired

Conspolitical infighting and protection of the connected, largely no repercussions to underperformance and/or reward of good work

Its okay its a city job so it slow paced

Junior Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsYou learn a lot but it a slow learning environment

ConsLacks Team Mentality and a sense of togetherness

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Avoid unless you really don't care about job satisfaction

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

Pros8:00-5:00, nice green building, good pay for what it is, job security is better than other places,

ConsFull of weird people (corporate America's rejects), complete lack of accountability, very very incompetent and arrogant management, bickering everywhere, emphasis put on 8-5 rather than results, embarrassing incompetency throughout the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementRun it like a business, but with a good dose of social thinking and you can provide a productive and satisfying workplace.

Junior Electrical Engineer

Junior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work life balance. Rarely if ever expected to work free overtime. Option available for FLEX work week in the downtown office. Great and stable company to work for.

ConsWorkload can be slow at times. Takes one full year before u are able to use medical and vacation benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow medical benefits to start immediately like most companies do.

Awesome

Intern (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission as an intern for more than a year

Prosthe people are great. they want you to learn

Consthe area is pretty bad

Worked for San Francisco Public Utilities Commission? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for San Francisco Public Utilities Commission CEO Ann Moller Caen. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by San Francisco Public Utilities Commission employees.