San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

Updated October 18, 2014

Ann Moller Caen

Its amazing.

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

Pros

People are friendly. The building is nice and still pretty new. I enjoy it here.

Cons

Getting moved a lot. I've been here for only 5 months and I've been moving back and forth over 5xs working in many sites to provide service

I have had a good experience working for this company, and have learned a broad array of job functions

Current Employee - Junior Administrative Analyst in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Administrative Analyst in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to learn several different job functions to develop multiple skills and get a clear sense of a more defined career path to pursue

Cons

You can be stuck in a job classification for a long time and get bored. Moving up can be extremely difficult and will take a long time

Plan your budgetary requests for new positions far in advance so that job slots are created to promote, and keep, your people.

Pay is decent and benefits are great

Current Employee - Junior Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Electrical Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Low stress, get to go to development training without resistance, people are very friendly...

Cons

Many projects seem to last way too long because of bureaucracy, control is out of your hands much of the time...

Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Human Resource Personnel in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Personnel in San Francisco, CA

I worked at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are decent

Cons

Management displays poor leadership; does not hold directors/supervisors accountable for low departmental morale; directors do not speak to employees, favoritism (typically towards those who perform the least amount of work); those in positions to effectuate change with under performing managers do not do anything and allows the mistreatment of staff that they are fully aware of. No career growth; exempt staff are expected to clock in and out the same as hourly staff.

Respect your employees, hold management accountable, and pay attention when there is a high turnover in a department because the employees are leaving because of poor management and not necessarily better work opportunities.

Consultant

I worked at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission as a contractor

Pros

Interesting work, smart and witty colleagues, and great green building features.

Cons

Some of staff who have been there a long time need to be reinvigorated.

Great people, but bureaucratic and siloed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love most of my colleagues. I work with smart, friendly, helpful people who I'm interested in knowing both in the office and out. The organization, especially my dept., the Power Enterprise, is growing and changing. This creates room for being a positive part of the change in a public service agency, something I value.

Cons

Upper management can be frustrating and opaque. A lot of hurry-up-and-finish a project that's never seen again. Shifting city politics and public money lead to risk-aversion and sudden about-faces in policy.

The enforcement of hierarchy and discouragement of communication across levels/groups/departments is de-motivating. I do not do my best work when I don't understand the reasoning behind my tasks, the work of my colleagues, our department, or the organization as whole. Increase and encourage communication, listen to your employees more.

Dreadful, humiliating, dysfunctional

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

Pros

The work itself can be interesting at times.

Cons

Employees are ridiculed and humiliated in front of everyone. Very severe micromanaging to the point where no work gets done on time. Staff members turn on each other to avoid lashings. Difficult to work as a team and complete assignments due to the micromanaging and constant fear of ridicule.

Management should seek training to learn more modern and effective techniques in addition to some anger management and team building.

Good learning experience

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission

Pros

Flexible schedule. Much learning opportunity.

Cons

No formal training given to entree level engineers and interns.

Jr Engineer ( Formal )

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance and lot of downtime. Work isn't fulfilling or something to be proud off.

Cons

Lack of team mentality, lack diversity, arrogant and incompetence managers, boring job due to the lot of downtime and no direction, employees coasting and don't really care. Bad work environment.

Lacks unified vision and purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at San Francisco Public Utilities Commission full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Individually, most people are nice. There are resources and a lot of work happening because it is an enterprise government agency not dependent on property taxes. Stable and good pay. Union rules protect you from being fire for doing the bare minimum.

Cons

Typical gov. bureacracy with process upon process, but no managers that don't drive for innovation. Very top down management approach usefully found in government. Hard to get rid of low performers which brings down the overall morale. No stretch goals or values so difficult to motivate teams. Many managers have no idea what they are doing and shouldn't be managing. That said, probably better than a lot of government agencies, but is that really a good measuring stick?

Upper management creates such bureacracy to retain control. As much as you talk about being transparent and open, decisions made at the top are not.