San Francisco

Add Photos

San Francisco Mayor Edwin M. Lee

Edwin M. Lee

Overall enlightening

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey offer interesting jobs and good opportunities. Leadership was okay, depending on who you are working with.

ConsOther employees may not be as qualified, leading you to pick up slack. Environment was okay though.

Don't bother...

Recreation Leader (Former Employee)

ProsYou might get assigned to an outdoor facility.

ConsThey pay people 13$ hourly, no benefits and you can only work 975 hours and then they lay you off. No opportunities for advancement. Plus, you have to have a college degree!

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees some degree of upward mobility, stability or fair wages.

A gateway to Public Service Career

Bilingual Clerk (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Offers solid starting point for government positions, build up career profile
    - Encourage employee to step up higher after working for a while; but at the same
    time, it won't result in high turnover rate either.
    - Solid benefit and compensation among public service sector.

Cons- (Depend how you look at it) commuting to work; in city, taking public transportation is usually the only option, cars are unlikely to find parking for most employees. However, it can be view as "go green" to encourage people use alternative.
    - Using a lot of temp. / contractor status worker instead of permanent, saving budget but put job stability in jeopardy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosabove average pay and decent benefit compared to other public service jobs

Conssome departments are in the bad/filthy part of the city. Inefficient government.

High Pressure, Extremely High Stress, Fast paced

Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood Salary, Good other employee support

ConsManagement cares about making sure numerical quotas are achieved, doesn't care if employees are getting burned out

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will do their best, Quit playing favorites with other employees.

First year working in city government

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe salary and benefits are very competitive. Most of the newer, younger employees have been great to work with. The nature of the work is very interesting, and my manager is very understanding. My manager has also listened to me and has changed my assignments based on what I'm interested in, which I appreciate.

ConsA lot of the older works are stereotypical bureaucrats, who are very difficult trying to work around at times. I wish they would abolish the bumping system and I wish they could more easily fire the ineffective workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out away to be able to fire the ineffective employees.

Job security but not growth

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosextremely stable, difficult to get fired. Great benefits including dental, vision and life insurance.

ConsNo growth opportunities unless politically connected. Difficult personalities abound since it's practically impossible to get fired or be promoted. People stay in same position for years, decades.

Advice to Senior Managementwork with unions to open up ways to motivate employees to become more productive rather than simply waiting for retirement.

Department of Elections trainer

Elections Trainer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart staff, community connection, bike room for storing your bicycle, showers and working at City Hall is great.

ConsSeasonal job did not allow steady and regular employment. Tight budgets make it hard to have quality office equipment and materials.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your top people. They are smart, have values and they care. Keep doing what you are doing; it's working.

I like working with CBHS the employees are all nice and make you feel welcome.

Receptionist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe employees are helpful, and the food in the lunch room is inexpensive.

ConsI have to wake up at 6:30am to get there on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

A mixed bag: Coming in blind--you gotta get lucky!

Customer Service Representtative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood-to-great people, good-to-great administrations: Good luck is what you need!

ConsDown-in-the-mouth people, lifers who can no longer do the job, antiquated organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the bad actors within both management and the rank-and-file!

Worked for San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!