San Francisco State

www.sfsu.edu

San Francisco State Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Leslie Wong

Pros
  • Flexible hours so you can still attend class(in 3 reviews)

• A great place to work on your homework as a computer lab assistant(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • However, the benefits are great and helped to offset the low salary(in 3 reviews)

• Some jobs are minimum wage so it's just a low pressure part time job that you can do(in 3 reviews)

I learned some valuable skill that will allow me complete duties with a high level of competency.

Facillities Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI think this job will be a good fit because my education and previous jobs has the same skill requirements.

ConsSome of the challenges working here will be keeping up with the speed of technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is working with new employees is always a challenge, but I am a very good listener. Time off is a facet of the job that should be discussed at the right time when time permits. Personal growth will always be first in my book when starting a new job, and at previous work places I put my best foot forward. It always works for me.

A meaningful education

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat senior staff and guidance

ConsJust because you are good at research does not make you a qualified teacher.

Diverse environment

Graduate Teaching Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCollegial atmosphere of open minded faculty. Campus is constantly improving. Newly added rotation of food trucks greatly improves the lunch options. Faculty are very active in building and maintaining an environment open to new ideas.

ConsState school, therefore lack of funding is always a problem. Administration compensation is running rampant while faculty pay languishes. In a city with out of control rents, faculty find themselves in a declining income situation… your pay isn't going up, but everything else is.

Advice to Senior ManagementReign in the administration pay… it's embarassing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student assistant

Student Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe work is very relaxed and easy going

ConsThe work is not very challenging and can be boring

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing, but maybe come up with more tasks

enthusiastic and motivational

Event Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNetworking, learning, updating and gathering more information for business. Learned a lot about event management and staff involvement

ConsStarted at freshmen year, challenges like accommodating with group culture.

Great for students, convenient and works with your schedule

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with Campus Recreation and they were more than flexible with shifts that work with your schedule. If you live on or very close to Campus (walking distance) it is incredibly convenient to work here.

ConsI didn't have any cons in my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Working at SFSU as a student

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible, Quite a few TA roles available with a wide variety of roles.

ConsDepartment budgets are limited, you get paid a maximum over the course of a semester irrespective if you work more hours than mentioned. But most roles don't require long work hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPure hour based rather than a fixed amount for the role for the entire semester would be better for students.

Adjunct Faculty

English Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible, students were usually sweet

Conspays HORRIBLY, little job security

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Bad environment to work in

ProsThe people that I worked with are very nice. It is a nice place to gain some experience, but do not stay too long, or you will become obsolete.

ConsThere is lots of bureaucracy and egotistical directors and chairs. The college fails to recognize the hard work of all the individuals that make them succeed.

Learning Assistance Center was a supportive, great place to work

Reading, Writing, Study Skills Tutor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- great and supportive people leading the program
    - Other tutors were a joy to work with
    - all around collaborative environment

ConsNone that I can think of!

Worked for San Francisco State? Contribute to the Community!