San Francisco Unified School District

Be The First To
Add Photos

San Francisco Unified School District Superintendent Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

As a substitute, it was hard to get into the sub pool, but once in, lots of sub jobs and you get a lot of experience

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of sub jobs.
    Didn't need to submit own time sheet.
    Get to choose what jobs to accept, what days to work.
    After awhile, teachers start to request you.

ConsNo training as a substitute, just need to pass the CBEST and have a degree.

Meaningful work

Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking with delightful kids is always a plus. You also get some physical activity, which I like. The pay isn't bad either, especially compared to similar jobs.

ConsDifficulties getting paid on occasion; the special ed department doesn't run a tight ship, so sometimes confusions and difficulties arise. There seems to be a lack of central organization and inefficient communication methods.

Very Data Driven...

Teacher (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWhile the kids may be challenging they make the job totally worth it.

ConsThe job has become very data driven and it has taken away some of the creative aspects to the work. Always comparing numbers and how the kids tested seems to be taking away from the real task....teaching kids.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllowing creative lessons plans can be a good thing. Just teaching to the test isn't always going to help.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teacher

Teacher (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSFUSD pay is great for a Bay Area school district. The benefits are good and the union is strong and supportive. The mission of the district really energizes you to be successful with urban students. There are lots of resources and training available for new and experienced teachers. Opportunities for leadership are given to a select few.

ConsThe district has great ideals but poor execution therefore they lack organizational efficiency. Moving up is about politics. Working in certain areas can be overwhelming due to lack of support, policies and procedures for chronically needed students. Overall the district seems a bit unorganized from the top down and very segregated. The pay is lower than suburban areas of the Bay.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild leadership from the inside up. Allow teachers more autonomy and respect their leadership development and expertise. Reach out to teachers in the tougher parts of the district to teach the other parts of the district how to improve academics for lower performing students throughout the district.

Transition Para

Transition Para (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDesigning programs tailored to transition students needs. San Francisco is an educational and energetic city to help transition students become productive citizens through work job training, social events and social agencies.

ConsAs a transition para, the teacher sits the classroom while we are teaching students how to cross the street, read, use public transportation and a myriad of other useful life skills. But we are not considered worthy of a pay raise or extended work hours!

Advice to Senior ManagementWe advise management to take a close look at how much contact (90% spent outside classroom) we have transition students and the positive impact we have 18- 22 year old students.

Senior Accounting Clerk

Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGot to work with some really great people, enjoyed knowing that you're working to make public education better.

ConsProcesses can be slow, and there are certainly politics involved. Sometimes the "known way" of doing things takes precedence over new, easier processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for more trial and error - innovation requires a safe space to pilot, fail, iterate and improve.

Current Employee

Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI appreciate the passion and investment of many members of SFUSD's leadership. There is a focus on equity not found at many other school districts across the county, which is both refreshing and motivating.

ConsNot enough investment is made in systems that could increase efficiency and improve operations for schools.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn investment in growing the talent within SFUSD would go a long way to improve outcomes for students as well as employee morale.

SFUSD

Teacher (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prossmart teachers, great kids, great families.

Conspoor upper management and allocation of resources.

Great people trying to make ends meet with limited resources.

Management Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing people who really care about providing a quality education.

ConsVery constrained by a budget that is up in the air year after year.

SFUSD

ProsCivil service designation is a plus

ConsNo support from upper management

Worked for San Francisco Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!