San Jacinto College Reviews

CEO

1. Facility manager

Current Employee - Facility Manager in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Facility Manager in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great educational organization. Lots of support from immediate supervisors with freedom to make choices that I feel are best.

Cons

This is a combination of working at a High School and University. There is the feel of having the freedom of a University while many administrative tasks that have no point. Often, it feels like there are many branches of the administration that feel the need to justify their position by forcing employees to complete obscure training courses.

Advice to Management

Trim down the top of the pyramid. Release your hold on employees for greater moral.

2. good company to be at.

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant

I have been working at San Jacinto College

Pros

great benefits, they avoid overtime, lots of time off, lots of room for advancement.

Cons

low paying, softwares used are confusing and seem outdated, unorganized environment, no one seems to know who is supposed to be doing what.

3. Math Tutor

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Pasadena, TX

I worked at San Jacinto College

Pros

Great boss. Worked with school schedule.

Cons

You can only work a maximum of 19.5 hours a week

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excelent time off - Great medical and Dental benefits - Constant week day schedule - Weekends off - Overtime is unusual, however when necessary has not much notice

Cons

Friends & family plan seems to be the way to get hired for an open position in the school presently - Fortunately, when I was hired that was not the case

Advice to Management

Employees who feel valued & appreciated alway do more than is expected of them

Good for Adjunct Jobs, But Don't Expect to Get a Full-Time Position

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Houston, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The instructors in my department were highly skilled in their field of expertise and truly dedicated to helping students succeed. If you have a full-time job during the day or your financial situation allows you to teach part-time it is reasonably good work.

Cons

Like most community colleges, San Jac tries to hire as few full-time instructors as possible. Adjunct instructors are paid between a fourth and a third of what full-time instructors are paid for the same work. This figure does factor in the additional time required of full-time faculty. There is a balancing act for the college, however, because SACS accreditation metrics penalize the college for having too many courses taught by adjuncts.

Do not expect that teaching as an adjunct will lead to a full-time position at San Jac. The problem is that for every full-time position that opens up (which is itself rare), there are 5 other, equally-qualified people who have taught as adjuncts at the college for multiple years.

Advice to Management

Your administration, which was already top-ready in the 2000s has become even more so. Moreover, you are alienating your best faculty, some of whom are considering taking early retirement, rather than endure an increasingly unpleasant workplace.

7. Good jobs for students

Current Employee - Children's Center Aide in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Children's Center Aide in Houston, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pros of working here are it is good for those needing work study or a convenient job. The schedules are also flexible for students.

Cons

The cons of working here is you will most likely get paid minimum wage and they usually stop you at 20 hours.

8. Some staff members "catty" and nothing done about it.

Current Employee - Teacher Aide in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher Aide in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provides a nice job while attending the college for some extra money.

Cons

Complaints about members of staff who are toxic to the work environment seem to be ignored.

Advice to Management

Allow disciplinary actions, or at a minimum, listen to your employees when they report bad behavior in other employees.

9. Great benefits and co-workers. Mediocre pay.

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time

Pros

Holidays, lots of vacation time and sick time, great co-workers and very accessible leadership.

Cons

Less than average pay. Difficult to be promoted more than one or two tiers.

Advice to Management

more competitive salary studies.

10. Adjunct Math Instructor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Houston, TX

I have been working at San Jacinto College (more than a year)

Pros

My boss is a wonderful person! Each semester you are given a choice on what classes you want to teach in a "first come, first serve" basis. I love the flexibility. You also have the choice from semester to semester if you want to teach so it is not hard to take time off in the event that you may have "life issues" to deal with.

Cons

As an adjunct there are no guarantees that you will teach a course from one semester to the next but that due to factors that cannot be controlled. I have not seen any posting for full-time teaching positions in the two years I have been employed at San Jac.

11. "meh" ... pros and cons

Current Employee - Professor, College Or University
    Current Employee - Professor, College Or University

I have been working at San Jacinto College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people I work with are very nice

Cons

ghastly hours and low pay

Advice to Management

we professors are highly educated, highly skilled, and highly motivated ... why not help us do our work rather than interfere? ... just leave us alone to do our thing, we know what we are doing .... administration, please, get over yourselves - you are not the life-blood of the institution ... the students are the life-blood of the institution and it is we profs who are educating them ...remember that without profs there is no college