San Jose State

San Jose State Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi

Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future(in 5 reviews)

• Great Benefits and fun environment to work(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest(in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges)(in 4 reviews)

University Housing Services

Housing Services (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsThe best thing about working here is the one on one contact with students.

ConsThe leadership is horrible. It's a very dysfunctional department and has been for many years. You'd be lucky if you were ever treated with respect and kindness from any one of your upper management leaders - and most of your co-workers. It's very prison like, if that makes sense. Move on, and find somewhere else to work. You will not be happy here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to people and stop promoting a culture of separatism , negativity and hatred. The overall morale here has been fractured for several years, and no one has done anything to try and fix that. It' s department that allows it's managers to be rude and excessively controlling (read micro management) at will.

Stay away from SJSU

Administrative Program Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits and the opportunity to help students are great reasons to work for SJSU

ConsEverything else -the administration sucks, the academic material is outdated, everyone has job security and nobody wants to learn more or evolve. The worst thing about SJSU is possibly that they will lie to potential new hires to get them in the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell them that my superior has NO skills and NO responsibilites (b/c she pushes it all onto others). She doesn't see the big picture and doesn't know the details. It takes twice as long to get anything done b/c she insists on receiving updates on projects (which is fine), but then you need to slowly explain every aspect to her a few times b/c she is slow. In my opinion, my boss possibly has a cognitive processing delay. I would tell Senior Management to get rid of her.

Terrible

ProsPOSSIBILITY for flexible hours .... barely

ConsREALLY HARD to get schedule changes. Irresponsible management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard place to work

Resident Advisor (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt is a good opportunity to work with students in the college level. The campus is beautiful and the students are very strong and determined.

ConsBeing a student employee they would not take my feedback, even though they would ask for it. Nothing would ever change as things were getting worse and worse as the year went on.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to leave as they are not effective in their positions. They say they care for the students but they don't show that at all. All of them are doing whatever they can to save their jobs by throwing others under the bus so that they look good.

TA

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of opportunity for learning and growth.

ConsExtremely unorganized school. Also, not the safest place in the world.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is directed to counselors and whoever it is that makes graduation requirements: you are absolutely terrible. You advise students incorrectly and you keep changing the requirements. Also, the pay is not exactly up to par for the positions you are given.

Great people; terrible beauracracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery nice people who are committed to the university and to their careers.

ConsBureaucracy and politics reign supreme. The AVP of Admin & Finance runs roughshod over the entire organization and can do so because he has political cover from the president.

Advice to Senior ManagementMan up and do your job! You can't always be liked by your employees; respect is the coin of the realm for leaders.

Just adequate

Instructional Student Assistant (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosmany people, so its quite a good place socially to work at

Conslow wages, low brand recognition and low growth opportunities with irresponsible spending in the wrong places and low recognition

Advice to Senior Managementbudget deficit is not an excuse to everything, recognize the students' hard work, reward them, pay them, be fair

Been here way too long

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsEasy going about taking time off, understanding about balancing work and other parts of life, lots and lots and lots of parties.

ConsSome people are very hard to take seriously. Furloughs, budget cuts, and layoffs all the time. The office I'm in even took away the coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't tell someone you want to move them to being a permanent, salaried, benefited employee TWICE when you have no intention to follow through. This happened to me, and each time I was told this I waited to hear about what would happen next, and they just acted like the conversation never happened.

The experience was frustrating because of the many barriers impeding forward/innovative thinking.

(Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsEmployment at SJSU offers wonderful benefits (at the expense of the California tax payers) and the people are genuinely very nice. The institution values loyalty and routine over change/innovation. In addition working on a hustling and bustling university campus with over 25,000 students speaking over 100 languages, many of them first generation college attendees, is stimulating. The university also offers many educational, cultural, and sporting events of which employees can participate.

ConsAs eluded to earlier, if you are a person who thrives on change/innovative thinking, this is not the place for you. Trying to move the system faster than its slow methodical pace governed by fear of failure/success leads to a feeling of pushing a rock up hill. The university is governed by folks that have been there a long time and are vested in maintaining the status quo and prefer to maintain a very hierarchical, closed door environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGaining strong support from the leaders of Silicon Valley requires understanding and living the values that have made the region the innovation capital of the world.

I had high hopes for this one...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt's been great to work with very smart people and to work toward a common goal of preparing students to be competent contributors to the work force.

ConsThe management tends toward dishonesty and covers for each other. Even very compassionate new faculty are changed by the tenure process as that becomes their singular focus, and they loose focus on doing good for others. Those in secure tenure or senior positions do as little work as possible and finding a good mentor who will encourage personal growth and what we're all here for, excellent education of the students, is very difficult. Administrative support is virtually non-existent. Pay is extremely low, courseloads and workloads are extremely high.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople only work out of the goodness of their hearts for so long. Eventually, they will need real support, real pay, real incentives, real understanding, and real security. Otherwise, they will look for how to get by on the minimum expectation, or they will look elsewhere.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!