San Jose State Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated September 12, 2014
3.7

San Jose State President Mohammad Qayoumi
Mohammad Qayoumi

Pros
  • Decent salaries (for state work) good benefits, an improving HR team, a bright future (in 5 reviews)

• Great Benefits and fun environment to work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The budget cuts from the government is downside that keeps the university from growing to its fullest (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay compared with other Silicon Valley industries(even compared to other educational institutions like k-12 and community colleges) (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked as a Instructional Teacher Assistant

Former Employee - Instructional Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Instructional Student Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at San Jose State part-time for less than a year

Pros

Provides students with extra cash in their pockets
    opportunity to play a leader role within a professional environment
    Help other students understand concepts and expand their knowledge
    Gives opportunity to master/practice material that can be crucial for degree
    The best way of learning and mastering something is to teach it to others

Cons

It can be challenging to grade all the coursework especially when being a full-time student in Computer Engineering department.

Amazing Animation/Illustration Program

Current Employee - Student  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Student in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San Jose State full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The program continues to improve every year with the hard work of the professors. Unlike most art schools, SJSU is much cheaper. We collaborate with major studios such as Dreamworks, ILM, and Nickelodeon. Once you join the program you become family for life.

Cons

Mostly politics. The university won't let us become our own department even though we have over 600 students in our major and only 3 classrooms and 3 labs.

Let us become our own department and give us room to grow.

Great job for student while going to school!

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

They taught you everything you needed and was flexible with school schedule and school work.

Cons

Management talked about each other behind each others back which I found unprofessional.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Jose State always in motion

Current Employee - Educational Staff  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Educational Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Many career paths to choose from. Many opportunities to network with students, faculty and staff. If you live to learn this is a great place to be.
    The campus in downtown San Jose is always buzzing with activity and friendly new faces to meet and greet.

Cons

Each department can be considered separately, based on the culture and personalities involved, so your mileage may vary. Depending on your path, you may love it or may not.

Perfect work when you are a student, but do not stay after graduating...

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a Student Assistant has its perks. They work with your schedule, you are amongst your fellow students, and you gain knowledge about all CSU policies and forms at SJSU. You gain valuable office and administrative experience.

Cons

At times, students can be a little pushy or demanding. As a student assistant, you can only do so much when students miss deadlines or when professors are not in to speak with them. And in some offices, the department coordinators, the chair, or professors can be difficult to work with due to their stress or personalities. From a student assistant, the only growth in this position is to become an AC I not ACII which it seems more departments are looking for AC II.

My experience at SJSU was a positive one.

Former Employee - Teaching Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Best reasons to work here: central to Silicon Valley, get to meet a lot of people, campus constantly being updated, amazing library on campus, well organized, smooth processes in paperwork, and overall just a solid organization.

Cons

Buying my employee parking permit was difficult the first time I tried, because my paperwork didn't go through yet and I needed my pass that day.

Upper management, please be sure that you try to actually do what the websites and media say about how good SJSU is. Sometimes, reality versus what is advertised is slightly skewed.

Great school to work for.

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in San Jose, CA

I worked at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for, and there are a lot of very educated people working for this university.

Cons

Obviously people always want more pay, and that is true of this company as well, again my job was funded through the government, so there is not much one can do about getting a raise through your direct manager.

Great job! Keep up the good work!

Fantastic

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for more than a year

Pros

Value for skills, Professional Attitude, Helpful, Good Mentors, Job is entirely different from my major, Chance to networking with other professionals at the university.

Cons

Physically exhaustive. Have to wear Headphones for most part.

Freshmen Orientation Leader

Former Employee - Freshmen Orientation and Transition Leader  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Freshmen Orientation and Transition Leader in San Jose, CA

I worked at San Jose State as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The connections you make, the leadership skills you develop, free housing and food over the summer. Oh and a stipend bonus on top of your promised salary!

Cons

The head hancho in charge is a bit strict but honestly, very understandable and willing to talk things out.

Amazing experience. Got to learn lots of new stuffs.

Current Employee - Instructional Student Assistant  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Student Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at San Jose State part-time for less than a year

Pros

Best education til now. The social environment is very awesome. The Campus life is truly rocking. Lots of awareness programs everywhere. The staff is really cooperative. Lots of enthusiasm in extra curricular activities.

Cons

Challenges are that you'll get to learn new stuff. You need to give more working hours towards completion of the task.

Worked for San Jose State? Contribute to the Community!