San Juan USD - Sacramento County

3.5
CEO

1. Great opportunity

I worked at San Juan USD - Sacramento County

Pros

Prevention specialists (supervisors) we always helpful and clearly relay expectations to interns.
    Also have flexible hours so long as you meet your total requirement

Cons

Sometimes it becomes difficult to not have an immediate supervisor to speak with at sites. Also interns should be reminded about mandated reporting and perhaps training on suicide.

2. Good district, great staff

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County

Pros

Large district with resources, great staff at my school. Motivated administration. Easy to work with. They allowed me to learn and teach with an intern credential

Cons

Older school, some rough kids. The school days are over 20min longer than other nearby school districts. Facilities and tech in classrooms need an upgrade

3. It is a good company to work at.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The support is good, policies are simple but strict, benefits only for permanent employees.

Cons

The salary is low.

5. Certain Sites are stellar, depends on your personality

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love working at El Camino Fundamental High School. Our principal and admin are supportive, and the world language department is one of the most harmonious. The students are working class, and the population diversifies more and more every year, including the arrival of new ELL students. I love the staff, and I find the parents to be involved and on the side of the teacher for the most part. The music students are some of the greatest kids you'll ever work with. I am proud of the number of intervention and support programs we offer to help our struggling students get back on track and become successful. Our fundamentals are Respect, Responsability and Readiness which most teachers model.

Cons

This is a tough district for new teachers. Even after 5-6 years you can be laid off or bumped by often less-than-competent/passionate teachers who are (voluntarily) surplussed from other schools. You may not find out until the week classes start what classes you'll teach. Math and Social Science depts experience the most tension, there are still some jaded teachers who grumble about Common Core or trying new approaches, but that's universally the case.. Regardless of which dept you teach in, new teachers still are subject to the antiquated 3+ years of teaching all lower-level and beginning students. It can be draining, you really have to advocate for promotion.

Advice to Management

Be more strategic in retaining your talented teachers. Rigid teachers who don't meet the standard or connect with their students still rule the day, at the loss to the students and the school.

6. Great salary and benefits

Current Employee - School Principal in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - School Principal in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits package

Cons

There have been some leadership challenges over the last few years

Advice to Management

Chart your course and stick to it

7. San Juan Unified was an Awesome area , and experience to work for

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher ECE Department in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher ECE Department in Sacramento, CA

I worked at San Juan USD - Sacramento County part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved their modular programs. I found it to be a very interesting and successful way of teaching

Cons

I really loved working their, but I was a single mom with 2 children living in Ca. only making 8.50 an hour, which wasn't enough for my living expenses, So that was my fault.

8. Nothing unified about it

Current Employee - Administration in Carmichael, CA
    Current Employee - Administration in Carmichael, CA

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once a great school district full of good people.

Cons

Decline in every area. Sincere people are hard to find.

Advice to Management

liquidate property, stop being paranoid and quit reading employee and family members Facebook, blogging post, 90 second screen captures and employees email. The problem there is a bottom up leadership. Leadership in central office is not capable of accepting responsibility, by design fault never lands on the district office.

9. It was a fun experience.

Former Employee - Food Service
    Former Employee - Food Service

I worked at San Juan USD - Sacramento County part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work did not interfere with my school work, and I got to earn money. And I got to work with people I knew, so it was not boring.

Cons

Very little work hours, the max you can work is 30 minutes a day. The wage is minimum of eight dollars an hour. And you don't always get called to work, sometimes you do nothing and don't get paid.

Advice to Management

Need to use the third line more often.

10. Good as a temporary position, not easy for finding new employment.

Current Employee - Guest Teacher
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher

I have been working at San Juan USD - Sacramento County

Pros

Plenty of daily positions available, it is possible to work nearly 5 days a week.

Cons

Pay is low, especially for long term positions ($135 / day) If you factor in the extra hours of lesson planning, phone calling, etc you lose $/hr compared to the $100 flat rate for a 7-8 hour day-today positions. Nearby school districts start at $130 and move up.

RSS Feed </> Embed