San Luis Obispo County, California

Updated June 19, 2014
2.8

James R. Patterson
1 Rating

Great experience as an intern

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California as an intern

Pros

A lot of knowledgeable people willing to train inexperienced interns.

Cons

No pay or benefits offered.

Good coworkers, job is challenging and diverse

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

The job is very challenging and diverse. The majority of the coworkers are knowledgeable and truly care about the job they do

Cons

Upper management is popularity driven and does not know what they are doing. Their hiring practices are not based on qualification for the job.

To trust the knowledge of their employees

Social Worker III/IV with San Luis Obispo County

Former Employee - Social Worker  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Social Worker in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay was good, plenty of opportunities for OT, a lot of training and educational opportunities.

Cons

The deputy director Tracy Schiro (Buckingham) and head of HR for DSS Natalie Walters are completely insane. They run the place by fear. There are AMAZING social workers that do amazing work in the agency. I don't know one supervisor or regional manager that didn't do terrific work and did not support those they managed. They offered constructive criticism when needed, education and encouragement. However, it is on an almost monthly basis to have a supervisor, regional manager, or social worker will be moved, demoted, put on leave or written up. Every employee I know in the agency dislikes Tracy and Natalie and the way they treat employees and run things. A lot of people leave the agency, and those who stay do it because of the money or fear of change. It is a very sad situation and the only way it will change is if management is held accountable for the way they run things. I was blessed because I never got in their line of fire, but I saw too many great individuals I looked up to who did things the best they could get blasted for things often out of their control. I could not stand for it anymore and found another place of employment.

Treat employees like you would like to be treated. Smile. Encourage others instead of questioning and putting them down. Be moral and someone people look up to instead of fearing. Work with people and understand their position instead of writing them up because you only see things from your perspective which is immoral and misguided. Understand the social workers and supervisors on the front line can bring a lot more to understanding situations than you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

luis

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

alright fun but to much work

Cons

work hard and no party

A job worth having

Current Employee - Operations  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

good benefits, ample vacation and sick time. Friendly workmates. Flexible schedules allow being able to enjoy family time. Time and freedom to pursue other interests.

Cons

lack of training. Very little opportunity for advancement. General negativity from the top down. Lack of creativity. Complacency by most of the employees.

Praise the employee with ideas instead of stealing them. Create an evaluation system which fair and honest. Every senior manager should work in the private sector for a minimum of one year.

Pretty much a waste of time

Current Employee - Environmental Planning Intern  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Planning Intern in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

Good thing to write on a resume, but that's it

Cons

unpaid internships, no room for advancement unless you want to for for free for who knows how long.

pay your interns something, even if its minimum wage.

A good place to work.

Current Employee - Librarian  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Librarian in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

Small town charm, climate, and beautiful scenery. Management is competent and open to communication.

Cons

Expensive housing. The career ladder is limited because it's not a particularly big county.

Carry on. Management does a good job.

Working for the County is great.

I have been working at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

It is like a small tight-knit family. It is a great place to work with friendly, intelligent and hardworking people.

Cons

The County of San Luis Obispo is pretty small. There is not too much room for growth because of budgets and lack of jobs.

Management is good at the San Luis Obispo County Airport. Everyone gets along well and is run smoothly. Feedback is given regularly.

ok for a small town

I worked at San Luis Obispo County, California

Pros

it is a small town but the college kids keep the politics alive. The county provides opportunities in many areas.

Cons

If you are located outside of san luis obispo in the surrounding areas life might be a little boring for you.

be willing to take more advice from the people below you. just because you are old and wise does not mean young ideas are not good.

Worked for San Luis Obispo County, California? Contribute to the Community!