San Mateo County

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L. Maltbie

Construction Management

Construction Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsAs a construction manager, you don't have jobs outside of the County.

ConsThis is government work and things don't get done too timely.

Overall good experience, but currently having trouble making prudent decisions and long-term investments in employees.

Redwood City, CA

ProsRetirement, location, benefits, competitive salaries. Great for work life balance and families.

ConsSuccession planning is preached but not typically adhered to. Lots of outside hires while at the same time laying off quality employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

Dead end job, nepotism, constant in-fighting

IT Position (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsDecent benefits, union protection, pension if you can last decades here

ConsLittle chance of promotion - all based on favoritism, constant in-fighting within departments, people don't cooperate well together, there's always someone who only has 1 skill and knows 1 system for 30 years and nothing else so s/he does everything possible to keep that knowledge only to him/herself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually reprimanding your employees, especially the ones that act out and do a very poor job.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Mateo County has good job opportunities with equal opportunity compliance. Contribute to community quality.

San Carlos, CA

ProsOngoing opportunities for advancement, continuing education both internally and within the CA Community and state college systems, with union representation, good benefits and retirement planning. Have been able to develop technical and administration skills while serving the local community.

Management has shown great foresight in fiscal planning to prepare for economic downturns, but the State has taken the escrow accounts that were in place for resources and programs. They have still shown great restraint in reducing personnel, preferring to relocate personnel or offering downgraded positions. Must function within SEIU guidelines.

ConsSalaries are a below private sector. Offices and grounds in some areas are substandard, old and in need of repair.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to keep the needs of the community and your employees forefront in your long-term planning. You have made San Mateo County proud of the services you provide.

Government Job

San Mateo, CA

ProsLaid back job environment, nice people to work with, great work life balance, good benefits if you are full time

Conschaos in the systems lack of attention from management, incompetent employees in some areas can't be fired due to union limitations

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive! Award the hard workers and find a way to get rid of the people who actually don't do much

Interesting

ProsGreat benefits that are county-wide

Consit all depends on which department you work for. Some are terrible

I enjoyed my job very much while I worked for San Mateo County and I only left due to a move out of the area.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed all of the staff that I worked with and though I am now retired, I still go back from time to time to visit my former co-workers.

ConsMy only complaint during my time with San Mateo County was when a person was promoted to supervise my unit, but the person was very incompetent as a supervisor and did not have any "people skills". This person eventually retired from the county within a year of her being promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSan Mateo County management should be concerned that people in positions as supervisors or office managers have the skills to work well with people. It makes it very difficult for clerical staff when their supervisor/office manager does not show respect for staff or appreciation for work performed.

Budget cuts are resulting in layoffs. It's a good place to work, but stressful depending on you position.

ProsGood time off, and other benefits like health, dental and retirement. A lot of dedicated and caring people work there.

ConsIt's difficult to get promoted just on merit alone. You have to be "in" with managers and supervisors in order to change jobs. It seems as if only a handful fo people get promotions over and over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency and fairness!

San Mateo County Revenue Services

ProsSan Mateo COunty offers a decent retirement. They also have good medical and dental benefits along with sick leave and vacation. In this position you will find job security

ConsThe commute to me is horrible. Traffic on 101 is too much for me in the morning and it takes 1.5 hours to get home.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe stronger don't allow the employees to indtimidate you. Allow the employees to work 4 ten hour days as opposed to 9/80 or five eight hour days

Worked for San Mateo County? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at San Mateo County reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for San Mateo County CEO John L. Maltbie. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by San Mateo County employees.