San Mateo County

Updated May 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L. Maltbie

Great place to intern or work long term

Data Analyst (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsExcellent working environment, lots to learn on the job

ConsDoes not provide sponsorship benefits

I learned a lot

HUC (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGood benefits and lots of flexibility

ConsTOO heavy at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as PEOPLE, not as second class citizens

Good Salaries and good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood place o start when your young to get experience

ConsTypical government mico managing, hiring people with in the department to positions they are not trained or qualified for. Lots of nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn the basics

Deputy Coroner (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGood case load for learning

ConsPoor management. Understaffed. On-Call hours every night.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your subordinates

It was wonderful and I was sorry my contract was up.

Scanning Tech (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe people, they were always willing to help you and show you knew ways to learn other assignments.

ConsNone it was a great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I had great managers

Disastrous leadership in Human Services Agency

Social Worker (Current Employee) Belmont, CA

ProsPublic service, if you want to help families, vets, kids, then a county job is a good way to reach a lot of people.

ConsUnder the most recent director, HSA has slipped from being one of the best to one of the worst. Insiders (family members, sycophants) are promoted above people who are focused on doing their work. Panel interviews are used to undermine civil service procedures and advance applicants who have neither the work history, education nor background.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany managers were hired by the outgoing director, so, like her, they don't have degrees or experience in their field, so I guess they should fire themselves or each other, and get some really good consultants, preferably people with experience. Most of the directors at HSA have zero experience in their fields.

Innovation minded candidates need not apply

Employment Services Specialist (Former Employee) Belmont, CA

ProsGovernment Job with defined lifetime benefit compensation pension plan. If you don't mind repetitive work environment that requires little mental fortitude this is your place. If you are looking for a non-dynamic work environment with the stability of an aircraft carrier in a calm sea this your place. The civil service employment process allows non-degree applicants access to obtain a living wage.

ConsThey haven't had a raise in 8 years! Career mobility based on favoritism not talent. I would describe the majority of employees as good people who care about those in need of a temporary hand-up to get back on their feet. In these lean economic times many middle class families found themselves in a vulnerable economic situations and HSA was there to help. You may not get the comparable private sector wage but it pays more then most non-profits and you derive a great since of satisfaction from assisting others.

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge yourself to be innovative and design implement programs and processes that have a positive measurable impact upon long-term poverty in the Bay Area. Just dulling out standardized aid payments is better than no safety net but I think society would benefit more from a safety trampoline that allows you to spring forward and upward more quickly.

Constant changing culture, some for the better, some for the worst.

ProsGood pay, good benefits, stable work

ConsLow staffing causing others to become overworked, unfavorable working conditions. Very high stress environment.

Health Policy Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very Open environment, a good starting point for college students.

ConsThe work environment is not fantastic and sometimes your supervisor is not in contact with you for the entire duration of the internship. I know others had better experiences so this may be case-by-case.

Civil Service Interview

ProsThe mini orientation in before the interview is very informative. Fair interview process. You get a response whether you get the position or not. Everyone is friendly in the Office

ConsYou have to be on the eligibility list in order to get a full time job. Many people stay with the county for a long time so it takes a while to promote.

Worked for San Mateo County? Contribute to the Community!