San Mateo County Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
John L. Maltbie

1. Phenomenal place to work, great employees, horrible union. You must like the outdoors and be in good physical shape.

Current Employee - Ranger II
    Current Employee - Ranger II

I have been working at San Mateo County full-time

Pros

Working outside in nature, the pay is good, retirement is good, benefits are good. Leadership at my level is good. They are smart people with good common sense.

Cons

cleaning bathrooms can be nasty, work is physically demanding. Lots of public interaction and opinions vary so it's not always good interactions.

Advice to Management

spend more time in the field.

2. Excellent benefits and professional development opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Librarian in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Librarian in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The County offers a healthy benefits package, flexible work schedules, and encourages and supports a hefty amount of professional development opportunities.

Cons

There is a clear delineation between line staff and management. Line staff feel that the organization is management-heavy; and management tends to meet and operate in somewhat of a silo, which leads to distrust among line staff.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging professional development, but make management and their meetings (i.e. meeting minutes, etc.) more transparent. This will lead to staff feeling more supported and equal.

3. Puts the people is serving the public

Current Employee - Various Positions Throughout the Organization in Redwood City, CA

Pros

SMC is forward thinking in a lot aspects. As an organization they do many things right. They, promote (and in many places embody) responsive government; focus on serving the public in effective and efficient ways; strive to create a prosperous, safe, collaborative, healthy, safe and livable community; encourage Work-Life (blend/balance); and champion employee engagement, development, wellness and performance.

Cons

While the County may promote and believe in all of the above, many Departments are left to their own devices, and may not adopt all or many of the above. In addition, there are also challenges working in an environment where employees may be geographically and organizationally / departmentally disparate.

5. I enjoyed my job very much while I worked for San Mateo County and I only left due to a move out of the area.

Pros

I enjoyed all of the staff that I worked with and though I am now retired, I still go back from time to time to visit my former co-workers.

Cons

My only complaint during my time with San Mateo County was when a person was promoted to supervise my unit, but the person was very incompetent as a supervisor and did not have any "people skills". This person eventually retired from the county within a year of her being promoted.

Advice to Management

San Mateo County management should be concerned that people in positions as supervisors or office managers have the skills to work well with people. It makes it very difficult for clerical staff when their supervisor/office manager does not show respect for staff or appreciation for work performed.

San Mateo County has good job opportunities with equal opportunity compliance. Contribute to community quality.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Pros

Ongoing opportunities for advancement, continuing education both internally and within the CA Community and state college systems, with union representation, good benefits and retirement planning. Have been able to develop technical and administration skills while serving the local community. Management has shown great foresight in fiscal planning to prepare for economic downturns, but the State has taken the escrow accounts that were in place for resources and programs. They have still shown great restraint in reducing personnel, preferring to relocate personnel or offering downgraded positions. Must function within SEIU guidelines.

Cons

Salaries are a below private sector. Offices and grounds in some areas are substandard, old and in need of repair.

Advice to Management

Please continue to keep the needs of the community and your employees forefront in your long-term planning. You have made San Mateo County proud of the services you provide.

Overall good experience, but currently having trouble making prudent decisions and long-term investments in employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Retirement, location, benefits, competitive salaries. Great for work life balance and families.

Cons

Succession planning is preached but not typically adhered to. Lots of outside hires while at the same time laying off quality employees.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach.

8. Construction Management

Current Employee - Construction Project Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Construction Project Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County full-time

Pros

As a construction manager, you don't have jobs outside of the County.

Cons

This is government work and things don't get done too timely.

9. Health Policy Intern

Pros

A very Open environment, a good starting point for college students.

Cons

The work environment is not fantastic and sometimes your supervisor is not in contact with you for the entire duration of the internship. I know others had better experiences so this may be case-by-case.

10. It was wonderful and I was sorry my contract was up.

Former Employee - Scanning Tech in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Scanning Tech in San Mateo, CA

I worked at San Mateo County part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, they were always willing to help you and show you knew ways to learn other assignments.

Cons

None it was a great place to work

Advice to Management

None, I had great managers

11. San Mateo County Elections Div.

Current Employee - Election Technician/Warehouse in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Election Technician/Warehouse in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at San Mateo County (More than 8 years)

Pros

very little pressure; great place to work if you don't require supervision; plenty of different tasks to work on so you never get bored

Cons

It's only seasonal and they are moving towards all mail ballot voting within 5-6 years

RSS Feed </> Embed