San Mateo County

Updated May 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John L. Maltbie

I enjoyed my job very much while I worked for San Mateo County and I only left due to a move out of the area.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed all of the staff that I worked with and though I am now retired, I still go back from time to time to visit my former co-workers.

ConsMy only complaint during my time with San Mateo County was when a person was promoted to supervise my unit, but the person was very incompetent as a supervisor and did not have any "people skills". This person eventually retired from the county within a year of her being promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSan Mateo County management should be concerned that people in positions as supervisors or office managers have the skills to work well with people. It makes it very difficult for clerical staff when their supervisor/office manager does not show respect for staff or appreciation for work performed.

Great place to intern or work long term

Data Analyst (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsExcellent working environment, lots to learn on the job

ConsDoes not provide sponsorship benefits

It was wonderful and I was sorry my contract was up.

Scanning Tech (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe people, they were always willing to help you and show you knew ways to learn other assignments.

ConsNone it was a great place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, I had great managers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Health Policy Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very Open environment, a good starting point for college students.

ConsThe work environment is not fantastic and sometimes your supervisor is not in contact with you for the entire duration of the internship. I know others had better experiences so this may be case-by-case.

Civil Service Interview

ProsThe mini orientation in before the interview is very informative. Fair interview process. You get a response whether you get the position or not. Everyone is friendly in the Office

ConsYou have to be on the eligibility list in order to get a full time job. Many people stay with the county for a long time so it takes a while to promote.

Construction Management

Construction Project Manager (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsAs a construction manager, you don't have jobs outside of the County.

ConsThis is government work and things don't get done too timely.

Overall good experience, but currently having trouble making prudent decisions and long-term investments in employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsRetirement, location, benefits, competitive salaries. Great for work life balance and families.

ConsSuccession planning is preached but not typically adhered to. Lots of outside hires while at the same time laying off quality employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach.

San Mateo County has good job opportunities with equal opportunity compliance. Contribute to community quality.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Carlos, CA

ProsOngoing opportunities for advancement, continuing education both internally and within the CA Community and state college systems, with union representation, good benefits and retirement planning. Have been able to develop technical and administration skills while serving the local community.

Management has shown great foresight in fiscal planning to prepare for economic downturns, but the State has taken the escrow accounts that were in place for resources and programs. They have still shown great restraint in reducing personnel, preferring to relocate personnel or offering downgraded positions. Must function within SEIU guidelines.

ConsSalaries are a below private sector. Offices and grounds in some areas are substandard, old and in need of repair.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to keep the needs of the community and your employees forefront in your long-term planning. You have made San Mateo County proud of the services you provide.

I learned a lot

HUC (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGood benefits and lots of flexibility

ConsTOO heavy at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as PEOPLE, not as second class citizens

Good Salaries and good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood place o start when your young to get experience

ConsTypical government mico managing, hiring people with in the department to positions they are not trained or qualified for. Lots of nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Worked for San Mateo County? Contribute to the Community!