San Mateo Union High School District

CEO

1. As a workability student

Former Intern - District Workability Intern in San Mateo, CA
    Former Intern - District Workability Intern in San Mateo, CA

I worked at San Mateo Union High School District as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Job Coach on site. Pay is good for students with disabilities. Helped me get into State Department of Rehabilitation.

Cons

Lack of training for customer skills. Supervision is needed if there was a conflict between others and students.

Advice to Management

Whoever are the current job coaches for the students, please supervise them or give them advice on what they need to do in conflicting situations between customers and the student. Some may know how to handle conflicts, others may not.

2. It really depends on who your supervisor is. There are some awful supervisors in this district.

I worked at San Mateo Union High School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's nice having a pension to help retirement when the time comes.

Cons

There are some very cliquey groups in the District office, and currently there seems to be a fear of the old-timers being forced out. This is a genuine concern. As a result many people are afraid to do anything out of fear of retribution.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. If your workers feel supported rather than fearful that they're going to be called in for the slightest incident they would become much more productive.

3. Ho Hum, School District

Former Employee - Skilled Clerical in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Skilled Clerical in San Mateo, CA

I worked at San Mateo Union High School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Security, most classified and all teaching jobs are union. Average to above average pay rates for teachers, and low to average for skilled, lower for high skilled jobs, tech etc.

Cons

District is run by spoils system by former teachers who have no clue about management or how to run HR dept. Jobs are "given" out by buddy system.

Advice to Management

Resign and let someone honest take your place!

5. Long-Term Substitute Position - Burlingame High School

Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Long-term Substitute Teacher in Burlingame, CA

I worked at San Mateo Union High School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Had lot of resources to utilize and department heads who we interested in my success, although not much time to help me.

Cons

3 classes of Integrated Sciences of mostly angry and misbehaving students who disrespected me because I was a substitute teacher and not a "real teacher" in their opinion. 80 Hr Work weeks regardless of pay. Even as a new teacher, no BTSA support as this was a substitute position and a regular, full-time position. Lied to about pay and position by Vice Principal and Biology Department Head. Appears to be typical M.O. in the education industry.

Advice to Management

I don't believe the Upper administration is interested in improving the way they do business.

RSS Feed </> Embed