SanDisk Reviews

139 reviews filtered by
  • Milpitas, CA
SanDisk President, CEO, and Director Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra

1. Good Company but to much politics.

Former Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Reliability Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at SanDisk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary. work environment was OK. It all boils down to management. I didnt have a manager, some people had great managers. Very good employee compensation package. Free breakfast (Oatmeal only) and huge, great parties.

Cons

Long hours. Travel up to 25 - 50 %. Like I said management was not good. I worked for a small Start up Pliant Technologies (SDD engineering) that was purchased by SanDisk. Just a different mentality I guess.

Dont just Hire a person off the street. Promote within. Give more training. And when an employee gets sick and has a heart attack like I did. Have a little courtesy. Dont give away their job without telling them. And when they get back, don't "Stuff" them in their cubical and tell them there is no work. Go have a late at the coffee bay then check back.

2. Young old company

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Luck to be a NAND storage industry leader in its best time, you have chances to touch various storage technologies.

Cons

Frequent misjudgments to market trend, poor execution from high to middle management level, endless reorganizations and project shutdowns cause loss of high quality engineers.

Don't spend too much time playing politics even though it is part of your job not documented in job description. Take care of your projects and team members.

3. Working as a temp at SanDisk

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Milpitas, CA

I worked at SanDisk full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The West Valley recruiters are fantastic and always ready to help. Even the recruiters that I was not associated with, like Olga Ocon, were consistently helpful and knowledgeable.

Cons

A bit disjointed - there are several technical writers but there is no collaboration one tech writer to another. Most tech writers are not aware that there are other tech writers there. No common cover pages or style guides.

Bring every similar department together so there is more sharing, collaborating, brain storming, etc.

5. Good Opportunities, Decent company to work for!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Management gives you lots of opportunities to try new things and be innovative
    - If you make mistakes, upper management is very forgiving
    - Smart people, good teams, hard working

Cons

- long working hours
    - no work life balance
    - very passive aggressive company

- Stronger Communication from management
    - A lot of middle management, not enough people actually doing the work
    - No learning and development opportunities for University Grads - you need to train yourself

6. Worked as a Test developed Engineering intern with the wafer test team.

Former Intern - Test Development Engineering in Milpitas, CA
    Former Intern - Test Development Engineering in Milpitas, CA

I worked at SanDisk as an intern

Pros

Excellent job profile, best team to start with if you are looking to work in Nand Flash memory technology, the work culture is very impressive

Cons

This was my first job so I had no expectations, it was basically the Facebook of memory technologies for me. The University Relations team has been helpful even after I discontinued.

7. overall

Current Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk

Pros

good salary
    good work life balance
    good facilities
    good place to work

Cons

no cons at this time. no free food

none

Beware of dirty politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, good campus, good location. But that's all there is to it.

Cons

High bureaucracy and very dirty politics. Unless you have a SVP hand on you, good pay is all you will get. Do not leave a stable job to join SanDisk especially if you are looking to progress in your career. The company is growing, you won't.

Take these reviews seriously and make some changes. If 10 people say your company is full of political crap, there is some truth to it.

9. High level of favortism. SanDisk only cares about their bottom line.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay package. That is the only Pro. Rest is thumbs down.

Cons

High level of favortism and negative bureaucracy. Waste of time if you want to grow in your career. Unless you know a C-exec, you will be where you started even a few years out. We often hear 'You get paid for your hard work'. Even though the company is fast growing, the internal management has a lot of small private company politics. The management nickel & dimes on travel cost, employee meeting lunches, christmas parties are potluck. Even with the market doing so well, we have to give up 4 days of PTO as shutdown days. Net net, whats important is SanDisk's bottom line and numbers at the street.

Read the above review and other such reviews and make some changes. SanDisk has great potential but with the way the employees are treated, the company can only go so far.

Awful Awful Awful Company Culture

Current Contractor - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA
    Current Contractor - Product Manager in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Generally decent food
    Good Gym
    I really can't think of anything not superficial to talk about. There really is nothing good about this company.

Cons

Awful miserable people. Angry all the time, aggressive and fearful in the same token. Company seems very adept at hiring the most outspoken, least value add and boorish of the lot from the valley. They know that they're a third tier company, even in the simple and rather straightforward storage space. Cost of NAND falling, and they realize their third grade products are quickly becoming a commodity, just like every other storage company. As such any tiny dip in stock price corresponds to an overreactive upper management with quick layoffs. Only to have those leaving see the front entrance lined up with prospective hires interviewing for "newly relevant positions". Insane. Will play games with contractors too. Will ransom extension and flat out lie about terms. One day contract is supposedly "extended", next day managers will give series of "tests" to see which contractors will stay. They're not shy about communicating this either. Lest you think this is a problem with contractors, employees are no safer from these tactics. And not one or two managers, directors across the board. The amount of turnover at this place is amazing. I haven't seen so many "VP's" come and go within the span of a year, ANYwhere. Directors use that revolving door even further. This is a strange place. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but even supposedly "successful" BU's experience this. Also would not believe the number of employees just waiting for their 2 year bonus to leave. It's almost comical how well you can time managers leaving. I'm a bit flummoxed by some of the good reviews here. Almost seems like bait or shady HR tactics. There is not one, and i really mean, not one person at this company that has confided in me; from directors, product managers, VPs or even admin that isn't considering leaving soon.
    They're good at recruiting, however do not fall for that trap. Tread at your own risk.

What is there to be said that hasn't been said by other reviewers. In two years this company will find itself an also ran inching for profits. There will be a mass exodus of disgruntled talent leaving for calmer shores, and an influx of mediocre managers holding up the fort. I guess i could suggest you guys NOT consider yourself a google or even a Cisco level company. You're NAND aggregators and always will be. Please stick to what you know.

11. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Milpitas, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Milpitas, CA

I worked at SanDisk as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very good company to stat with
    Nice people around
    Good Working Environment

Cons

Too lengthy process for making decisions

HR policies needs to be tweaked a bit
    Growth Opportunities