SanDisk Reviews

Reset
3.1
SanDisk President, CEO, and Director Sanjay Mehrotra
Sanjay Mehrotra

Pros
  • Work life balance is good for the most part (in 10 reviews)

• Good Work environment & culture (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance doesn't really have a meaning (in 14 reviews)

• lots of politics and fading vision after M-Systems acquisition (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Company to work at!!

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative and positive environment. Brings the best out of you.

Cons

YOu will have to work really hard to play hard but it is worth it..

2. Overall Ok

I worked at SanDisk full-time

Pros

Good working culture and opportunities to grow

Cons

Not good for new parents as they do not have any company paid maternity/paternity leave

Generous Bonus plan, Stingy on PTO, Lacks diversity, Good not Great place to work

Current Employee - Staff Product Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Product Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, reward is equivalent to performance. Motivated teams, very fast paced environment. If you can filter the noise, good learning experience. During regular day to day operations, never felt any discrimination, but there are groups, more like cults that don't like to collaborate.

Cons

Lacks diversity, sometimes situations and decision making gets too political. The generous bonus plan i mention equates to abandoning your personal life. They could be a bit more generous with the stingy PTO policy, out of which roughly 4-5 are forced PTO days, which they call shutdown. The only orientation or training that happened was with regards to HR policies and processes. Within most engineering teams, you are thrown in the pool and you learn to swim on your own. Most managers are managers because they run out of engineering titles at some point. A lot of these people need to be taught people management and people retention skills

Advice to Management

Watch the crowding around mid management layer and try to diversify the workforce. A lot of your teams are out of balance in terms of workload distribution, need some serious evaluation of the managerial skills in most engineering organisations.

SanDisk Response

Aug 4, 2015 – HR Communications

We appreciate your feedback and your comment about our work environment. We strive to reward everyone fairly for their work and appreciate you recognizing that. We pride ourselves in contributing to ... More

Lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) In general, people are trying to do what is best for the company and great to work with. 2) Get to work on new memory technologies

Cons

1) Recent enterprise acquisitions have not panned out. Most of the key people have left after the acquisitions. 2) With the exception of the CEO Sanjay, the executive staff does not have flash memory experience. We have lost our leadership because of this as projects are planned without understanding how to best leverage the system and memory. 3) Poor work/life balance. It was ok when we were leaders but we aren't anymore.

Advice to Management

Need to rethink the whole enterprise acquisition strategy and have more flash memory visionaries on the executive staff.

PMM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology Lots of opportunities Exposure to various customers/use cases

Cons

Constant management changes Product Delays and execution issues

7. System design engineeer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SanDisk (Less than a year)

Pros

good compensation and benefit promising industry

Cons

dynamic environment, execution focus, no personal growth

TE

Pros

Great scope in future for the company with increasing demand for storage from ESS sector and Mobile Phone demand.

Cons

More work load and some Office Politics too.

could be better, should be better

Former Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Firmware Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at SanDisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The layoff package was descent but you have had to worked there over four years. That's about all I can say positively (and the fact that there's a 20 word minimum -- sorry, can't think of anything else good to say).

Cons

Management needs training on how to deal with people, and if they get training, they need stay awake during their courses. Managers play favorites waaaaay too much from my experiences. Some of management have horrible people skills. Maybe they're pressed too heavily from above, but that is caused by upper managements unrealistic expectations of their own abilities and from their own self expressed mistakes in forecasting.

Advice to Management

Realize that the NAND industry is cyclic, and when times are good, prepare for the downslope. When the downslope occurs, upper management overreacts and insists on layoffs. Until this gets fixed, I don't know why anyone would work there.

I don't trust them

Current Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at SanDisk full-time

Pros

The company runs like a startup and there's a lot of chance to learn new skill sets.

Cons

Regarding engineering. The company is like a startup and the focus of the projects shifts abruptly every few months. There are constant reorgs and layoffs the past few years that it's terrible for morale. Work in my division goes unappreciated and I feel undervalued. Many teammates have left on their own. The only response from management is pretty much we have more work to do, now step up, all of you. I started out excited to work at a big well known company, now I am looking for an exit. The combination of reorgs and layoffs and work pressure without any appreciation is not a good thing. Granted the memory field is a fickle business that is highly sensitive to economic fluctuations. So try not to work for memory companies and especially not Sandisk.

Advice to Management

Minimize the frequent waves of hiring and then laying people off. If a division known for having long hours loses employees, don't just put even more work on the remaining people. Make a plan to hire suitable replacements.

11. Product engineer

Pros

Cool team, great work culture

Cons

Frequent layoffs, not much prospective for growth

RSS Feed </> Embed