www.sanmar.com

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
3.3

Marty Lott

Pros
  • Work from home is good and the pay is good for what we do (in 10 reviews)

• The work/life balance was pretty good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Advancing in the call center is almost impossible unless you buy into the cliquish dynamic the Assistant Managers create (in 11 reviews)

• Low pay for very high expectations creates burnout (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a private company that is sincerely ethical and very competitive.

Current Employee - IT Professional in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place is one of those rare companies where the value "Be Nice" is not some cynical bumper-sticker phrase.

Cons

The pay could be more competitive.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Great work life balance

Current Employee - Project Manager in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of flexibility for your schedule if you have a good manager. Most people are really nice to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. Because there is such low turnover, there's really not a lot of room for me to grow in my career because my boss isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Have actual career paths so people can grow.

Great for warehouse experience, pay is okay but not the best that I've seen.

Former Employee - Restocker/Puller in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Restocker/Puller in Sparks, NV

I worked at SanMar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get good discounts off the merchandise they sell, and you get paid weekly.

Cons

Lots of pressure on Pullers and Processors. Must meet quota or you get fired. Strict Supervisors.

Increase starting wage just a bit, give more follow up training, ease up on the quota, not every employee and meet those high standards within 2 months of working there.

Good Company, Difficult to Advance

Current Employee - Account Executive in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For the most part, people that work there are genuinely happy to be at work and enjoy their jobs.
    The benefits are good, and the owners often provide free breakfast, lunch, or after hours activities as thanks.
    Once you learn the their operating system (order entry is an antiquated DOS or Linux based system that might have been new in 1980), the job is brainless and easy.
    Most all the customers are happy to be doing business with SanMar.
    Management give employees the power to say "yes" when fixing things for customers, rather than having to beg and plead to do simple refunds.
    Quarterly bonuses for Account Executives with minimum of $900 payout.

Cons

When I first started working there they required bachelors degrees for the Account Executive program but don't pay enough to cover basic living expenses AND student loan payments.
    Pay advances are only once a year, regardless of merit, and usually small amounts (average $0.25 to $0.50 per hour increase).
    Advancing in the call center is almost impossible unless you buy into the cliquish dynamic the Assistant Managers create.
    Exposure to Assistant Managers is rare and sporadic; most employees only have contact with their direct supervisors.
    When applying for other positions, sometimes the hiring team gives the impression that they have a specific person in mind for a job, but just posted it as an available position because they had to.
    Caps on hourly wages are very low.
    No tuition reimbursement.

Raise the caps on hourly wages.
    Consider giving Account Executives more managerial roles with their Account Coordinators; build up managerial skills in the AE's to facilitate ease of transition from AE to supervisor or to other departments. d
    Add in tuition reimbursement for people who really do want to make themselves more effective for the company, but whom you don't pay enough to afford continuing education.

Horrible order entry system

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at SanMar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home and easy hours

Cons

1980's Unix order entry system

Time to upgrade order entry system

Awesome company with awesome people

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SanMar is a great company that genuinely cares about their employees & customers. They promote being nice & being honest which is hard to find in businesses today!!

Cons

I honestly have not seen any down sides to this company. I think they work hard to maintain a good company status.

To keep sharing your stories of success & being approachable!! What a great company filled with amazing individuals !!

Ok work, decent money, good people

Former Employee - Runner/Picker in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Runner/Picker in West Chester, OH

I worked at SanMar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overtime at 15 an hour.

Cons

Hot in the summer! Cold in the winter! Very strict point system if you are late or sick.

Give sick days without points.

Prior IT Professional

I worked at SanMar

Pros

I've often said that one could "write their own career path in at SanMar". I meant that. SanMar 'the company' is a great where one can start, and build a career. It offers a wide range of career fields from warehouse operations to a host of Information Technology roles to strategic business/departmental management. The company has gone through many different changes during my tenure there and even more before I started. While some changes were unplanned/unforeseen, other changes were well thought out through competent strategy and critical thinking. They both go with the territory. The work/life balance was pretty good. Time out of the office was encouraged and fostered through telecommunicating and even business hour outings - at least in the IT dept. Benefits and wages were fine for me. I was never in 'need' due to the same. The company is filled with "people". Good people, real people who share the same culture and work environment one would hope for. Family owned and operated, the principles leverage on freedom to operate with the customer in mind. This allows empowerment at different levels throughout the ranks to make the customer happy and coming back for more.

Cons

Non that I'd like to share at this time since I am unaware of the current organizational configuration or structure.

I haven't been there for a while, so I am unaware of the current organizational configuration or structure, nor do I know the current, general morale of the employees "in the trenches". However, I do believe that upper management (before, during or after my tenure there) should always realize that many of their employees are not only looking for a place to work. Many of them are looking for a place to work, stay, be super productive, provide a huge value, benefit and impact, regardless of their race, religion, age or creed. I encourage you to always regard each of them with this level of regard and respect in mind. They are humans too... just like the customers. After all, that is what really matters.

Love working here, no other place I'd rather be!

Current Employee - SQA Analyst in Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - SQA Analyst in Issaquah, WA

I have been working at SanMar full-time

Pros

The culture is the number one thing that stands out to me. You can tell people really love being here and love coming to work. After being at many other companies, it is clear that SanMar invests in its employees. It is the opposite of most other places. I have the freedom to work at my own pace and learn new things through additional training.

Cons

There isn't much upward mobility and many people aren't ok with that. It is important to point out that while you can't always climb the ladder, your position is continuously expanding and the potential for more responsibilities, growth and knowledge is endless.

Love my job & highly value my co-workers, the owners & this organization.

I have been working at SanMar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family-owned and operated company allows for great work-life balance. Excellent benefits package and opportunity for growth. Work from home positions available throughout the company and the corporate office is an easy commute for anyone living on the Eastside. The owners invest a lot into their employees and your efforts are rewarded. Great organization and I hope to be here for another 10+ years.

Cons

I myself have had very few, if any, negative experiences, however I do know that each department can be a different type of experience depending on your manager. But if you have goals or seek opportunities within the organization, work hard and it will pay off.

SanMar Photos