SanMar

Updated August 14, 2014
Updated August 14, 2014

3.2

Marty Lott

Pros
  • Work from home is good and the pay is good for what we do (in 9 reviews)

• The work/life balance was pretty good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The tools and systems that are in place in the call center are from the nineties (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay for very high expectations creates burnout (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company with awesome people

Current Employee - Account Coordinator  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Issaquah, WA

Pros

SanMar is a great company that genuinely cares about their employees & customers. They promote being nice & being honest which is hard to find in businesses today!!

Cons

I honestly have not seen any down sides to this company. I think they work hard to maintain a good company status.

To keep sharing your stories of success & being approachable!! What a great company filled with amazing individuals !!

Horrible order entry system

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

Work from home and easy hours

Cons

1980's Unix order entry system

Time to upgrade order entry system

Ok work, decent money, good people

Former Employee - Runner/Picker  in  West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Runner/Picker in West Chester, OH

Pros

Overtime at 15 an hour.

Cons

Hot in the summer! Cold in the winter! Very strict point system if you are late or sick.

Give sick days without points.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love working here, no other place I'd rather be!

Current Employee - SQA Analyst  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - SQA Analyst in Issaquah, WA

Pros

The culture is the number one thing that stands out to me. You can tell people really love being here and love coming to work. After being at many other companies, it is clear that SanMar invests in its employees. It is the opposite of most other places. I have the freedom to work at my own pace and learn new things through additional training.

Cons

There isn't much upward mobility and many people aren't ok with that. It is important to point out that while you can't always climb the ladder, your position is continuously expanding and the potential for more responsibilities, growth and knowledge is endless.

Prior IT Professional

Pros

I've often said that one could "write their own career path in at SanMar". I meant that. SanMar 'the company' is a great where one can start, and build a career. It offers a wide range of career fields from warehouse operations to a host of Information Technology roles to strategic business/departmental management. The company has gone through many different changes during my tenure there and even more before I started. While some changes were unplanned/unforeseen, other changes were well thought out through competent strategy and critical thinking. They both go with the territory. The work/life balance was pretty good. Time out of the office was encouraged and fostered through telecommunicating and even business hour outings - at least in the IT dept. Benefits and wages were fine for me. I was never in 'need' due to the same. The company is filled with "people". Good people, real people who share the same culture and work environment one would hope for. Family owned and operated, the principles leverage on freedom to operate with the customer in mind. This allows empowerment at different levels throughout the ranks to make the customer happy and coming back for more.

Cons

Non that I'd like to share at this time since I am unaware of the current organizational configuration or structure.

I haven't been there for a while, so I am unaware of the current organizational configuration or structure, nor do I know the current, general morale of the employees "in the trenches". However, I do believe that upper management (before, during or after my tenure there) should always realize that many of their employees are not only looking for a place to work. Many of them are looking for a place to work, stay, be super productive, provide a huge value, benefit and impact, regardless of their race, religion, age or creed. I encourage you to always regard each of them with this level of regard and respect in mind. They are humans too... just like the customers. After all, that is what really matters.

Great job but no career opportunity.

Pros

Work from home is good and the pay is good for what we do. Nice office in Issaquah with good lunch room.

Cons

Low salary caps. No opportunity for upward movement without kissing major butt.

Love my job & highly value my co-workers, the owners & this organization.

Pros

Family-owned and operated company allows for great work-life balance. Excellent benefits package and opportunity for growth. Work from home positions available throughout the company and the corporate office is an easy commute for anyone living on the Eastside. The owners invest a lot into their employees and your efforts are rewarded. Great organization and I hope to be here for another 10+ years.

Cons

I myself have had very few, if any, negative experiences, however I do know that each department can be a different type of experience depending on your manager. But if you have goals or seek opportunities within the organization, work hard and it will pay off.

No help, just spies and snickering!

Current Employee - Janitorial/Maintenance  in  Sparks, NV
    Current Employee - Janitorial/Maintenance in Sparks, NV

Pros

The training for forklift is fairly easy, but needs a better guide of understanding the Importance of it's safety.
    Trainers are fun and easy going but can do without any hackling if you fall short on passing.
    Great BBQ's, family atmosphere .

Cons

No help from some of the supervisors only " Who said you can do that?" or " I didn't tell you can do that!" Even when it is something in a part of your job tasks.
    Very Micro managed , they always remind you of the cams watching your every move, call you into the office for small unimportant detailed thing, which takes you off your schedule, and gets you behind.
    Lots of snitching with most long time employees.
    Many long time employees act like there better than you and better off without you!

Retrain and remind all long time employees 5 + years, to rethink how they could be hurting someone who is at least trying or using there own mind with great experience and much knowledge in something they are doing, NOT to put them down and throw accusations at them. The supervisors do not need to be informed of EVERYTHING!! A good job done is done with quality and care for the sake of the company as a whole. We are a team. It's not about you.

Not a bad place to make connections

Pros

Pros: -decent starting wage.
    -Able to work earlier in the day, and have evenings with my family
    -great coworkers
    -I had a fantastic supervisor

Cons

Cons:
    -Uses interns as cheap labor, not as prospective employees
    -Very Cliquey atmosphere. The company highly values "niceness" and it's often fake and forced.

Best-kept secret in the north-west

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician  in  Issaquah, WA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Issaquah, WA

Pros

Family like atmosphere and culture. The company is growing, new people being hired in every department. The managers are nice and available. I am happy to be working here.

Cons

The benefits could be better.

Worked for SanMar? Contribute to the Community!