SandRidge Energy

2.9

James D. Bennett

Great Company

I have been working at SandRidge Energy

Pros

I enjoy coming here to work everyday. The benefits are great. Another recent review on here mentioned that SD dropped their 401K match from 15% to 10%, which should still be nothing to complain about as I believe Devon only matches 6%. This is still very generous. The same review mentioned that the bonuses are given out only once a year instead of twice a year, but it is still the same concept. The twice a year bonus was broken in half so that you got half your bonus at the beginning of the year and the other half towards the middle. Now, you just get your full bonus once a year. What that same review did NOT mention is that we did actually get TWO bonuses, a personal bonus plus the company incentive bonus. The company incentive bonus was because SD met all of their goals over the last year and the Execs wanted to share this with the employees since they are the one's that actually do the work. I say all of this because I don't want anyone who is optimistic about working for this company, but then comes across a review such as that one, to second guess their desire to work here. It truly is a great company to work for and there are people in the company who are great to work with. The Execs in this company are really trying to find ways to give out more incentives to the employees, like our recent partnership with Organic Squeeze and the Tuition Reimbursement program they recently launched. The 980 work hours are great, there is so much to be apart of, the fitness trainers are AWESOME, and the company is still small enough to feel like a working family.

Cons

I don't have any to mention at this point.

Continue to make the employees feel appreciated with all of the new changes and incentives. You are doing a great job and the employees do notice!

Going on one year and wondering if I should have made the transition

Current Employee - Measurement Tech  in  Alva, OK
    Current Employee - Measurement Tech in Alva, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I believe the pros and cons directly depend on your position and what area you work out of. To say dropping the 401k match from 15% to 10% is no big deal either shows that if you make 200k a year it wont really affect you. However someone like myself that works in the field from the Alva office that makes less than half of that a year it is a really big deal. Also Sandridge has made several changes in the structure of the company. From a field standpoint the changes we have experienced have only added confusion and more work to the employees in the field. I am sure that there are several people that the changes made a positive impact on, but I guarantee for every one person that is happy with these changes their are five people that are unhappy. On a brighter note their are probably more changes to come however when upper management is so far out of touch with what is going on in the company at the field level you cannot expect your field teams to be happy. I was promised things when i was hired that never happened and I have little faith in the management of my department. Midstream is a mess and I wish I could transfer out of the measurement group I am in. I will try and stay positive and hope that things will improve up here before we lose the last few knowledgable techs we have in our group.

Cons

I feel like the blind is leading the blind. Its not what you know to move up in this company. Its who you know. My views are strictly based on what I have experienced in the group I work in. But it goes all the way up the ladder. Midstream measurement or now the field automation group is managed by people with no knowledge in what we do. And this is true in OKC as well. The most qualified employees for the positions were bypassed by the least knowledgable that had friends in all the right places.

Take a close look at some of the issues we have in Alva. We have guys in our group that are home everyday at 2pm that don't ever wear their work clothes. No guidance from our team leaders or Manager. My manager wont answer the phone. Email, or tex messages. We are not mind readers. They are running off good technicians and replacing them with people that have no experience. We will end up losing more!

Worst job I have ever had

Current Employee - measurment tech  in  Alva, OK
    Current Employee - measurment tech in Alva, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spend little time around my manager. And more time around skilled sub contractors in the field.

Cons

No communication in our department. My boss/ manager will not even answer my emails or phone calls. I have been a measurement technician for several years and my piers in our midstream measurement department are the least knowledgable/skilled I have ever worked with. manager does nothing and everyone else spends all day trying to find someone else to do their job for them. All the real talent has left or been fired for being qualified to do their job.

My advice to my manager would be to be a manager. To upper management please make our midstream managers do their jobs. Not just forward emails

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A waste of four years of my life.

I worked at SandRidge Energy

Pros

Fast growing company with great benefits . that changed real quick

Cons

No communication between departments in the field or between the corporate office and the field. Dropped the 401k match from 15% to 10℅ and bonuses from twice a year to once a year. The worst part is the management period. The worst is in Midstream Measurement. However the issue is across the board. I have never worked for a company before that their department managers had no knowledge or experience in their departments roles and responsibilities. To be a Sandridge energy midstream Manager all you have to do is forward emails. All the real talent jumped ship already and the skilled employees that are still there are being fired for no good reason. BEWARE OF SANDRIDGE MIDSTREAM. The worst company I have ever worked for.

Communicate with your field assets. From poor judgment in picking your field managers you will continue to lose all of your skilled employees. I personally was fired for the first time in my life just because my new manager did not like me. Now I am looking forward to Devon.

Energy Industry has Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sandridge went through some difficult times, but the new management seems to be turning the corner. Some of the more political people have left the company. Overall its a great working environment. New executives seem to be doing a great job. Good benefits. New Investor EVP was a great choice both for internally charging up the team and externally for talking to wall street.

Cons

Hard to hold onto good people. Opportunities in Oil and Gas are really high right now with the two newly formed companies in OKC. Re-organization decisions need to be communicated better.

Find ways to increase employee job satisfaction and confidence so they don't leave to unproven companies like Tapstone and AEP. Try harder to find out when and why people might be unhappy to reduce turnover. Once people make the decision to leave its much harder to change their mind than if you find out their concerns before the emotional decision is made. In addition we need to hire more people. In a capital intensive world, cost of making a bad decision is much higher than the cost of having one too many engineers to make decisions.

Needs to work harder

I have been working at SandRidge Energy

Pros

Good pay and benefits for employees.

Cons

Certain departments don't communicate with each other at all - even when told they must do so. This often causes longer work hours than necessary. Accounting department is in dire need of management who remembers that the employees are important - not just a number. Promotions are sometimes not based on performance but who you know. Hard work often goes unnoticed and expected providing little balance between work and family.

Show employees that they are a valuable asset. Simply smile at them in the hallway or say hello. Don't just stay in your office all day and never say anything. Get departments to communicate through example. Hold activities that promote teamwork. Give incentives to hard working employees so they will stay. Show that family is important.

good

I have been working at SandRidge Energy

Pros

good enviroment and the the one

Cons

politics and everything else fall apart

These guys aren't worth your time

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

had the potential to become a great company

Cons

I would not work for them.

Field personnel assaulting hired employees is not professional.

this is an OK place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

top notch talent recruited during better times, good people to learn from and nice people.

Cons

good people are leaving company

continue what you are doing to get the attrition you seem to like so much.

HR has too much power

Former Employee - Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SandRidge was hiring and were in a boom period when I go hired. Not the company's fault, the cyclical nature of the market... and for the area, they were paying pretty well at my level (manager). Two years post-hire, one of my old consulting companies called, and offered me a chunk of money to go back to consulting. Talked it over with the family, told them I'd take the job, and then turned in my notice. SandRidge VP came back to me with an offer that matched what the consulting company was offering, so I stayed.

Cons

It took more than three months for the company to give me the promised raise and change my title. The title was not the one that was promised, but the one that I finally threw up my hands and said "Fine, I'm tired of arguing!" Within 90 days, HR pulled my vice president into a meeting and told him that they were getting hot-line calls from ALL of my employees. I had 18 people who reported to me... six of whom had been laid off in the latest market bust. Exploring the matter afterwards, I found out that the person who called was an employee that had been laid off in the latest market bust. I'm not saying I was a perfect manager, I was not--but there was no rebuttal allowed, no way to find out who accused me, nothing I could do except, in the end, leave.

First - HR's aim is not to keep the best people anymore, it's reason for being is to help the company avoid liability. I honestly get the need to do that... But if you believe in someone enough to offer them a raise to keep them, why are you willing to believe an anonymous caller that is putting forward obviously false information? Don't give HR the power to ruin people's careers when they're willing to listen to anonymous callers. Bluntly, of the people that were left after the laptop, four would have loved me, four would have hated me, and four would not have cared one way or the other... it's the nature of management--if everyone loves you, then you're not actually doing your job... managers aren't there because everyone doesn't need a manager, they're there because they're needed in order to get the work accomplished.

Worked for SandRidge Energy? Contribute to the Community!