SandRidge Energy Reviews

Updated June 12, 2014
Updated June 12, 2014

2.9

James D. Bennett

Worst job I have ever had

Current Employee - measurment tech  in  Alva, OK
    Current Employee - measurment tech in Alva, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spend little time around my manager. And more time around skilled sub contractors in the field.

Cons

No communication in our department. My boss/ manager will not even answer my emails or phone calls. I have been a measurement technician for several years and my piers in our midstream measurement department are the least knowledgable/skilled I have ever worked with. manager does nothing and everyone else spends all day trying to find someone else to do their job for them. All the real talent has left or been fired for being qualified to do their job.

My advice to my manager would be to be a manager. To upper management please make our midstream managers do their jobs. Not just forward emails

A waste of four years of my life.

I worked at SandRidge Energy

Pros

Fast growing company with great benefits . that changed real quick

Cons

No communication between departments in the field or between the corporate office and the field. Dropped the 401k match from 15% to 10℅ and bonuses from twice a year to once a year. The worst part is the management period. The worst is in Midstream Measurement. However the issue is across the board. I have never worked for a company before that their department managers had no knowledge or experience in their departments roles and responsibilities. To be a Sandridge energy midstream Manager all you have to do is forward emails. All the real talent jumped ship already and the skilled employees that are still there are being fired for no good reason. BEWARE OF SANDRIDGE MIDSTREAM. The worst company I have ever worked for.

Communicate with your field assets. From poor judgment in picking your field managers you will continue to lose all of your skilled employees. I personally was fired for the first time in my life just because my new manager did not like me. Now I am looking forward to Devon.

Welcome to the Jungle!

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast paced, good pay/ benefits

Cons

management on ipads all the time looking at nonsense! leaves work to worker bees with little or no direction, hostile environment!

care about your employees, no team morale! give them advice, training and the help they need to get the job done. they will be much more loyal.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

bad compensation.

Current Employee - Lease Operator  in  Andrews, TX
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Andrews, TX

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work Schedule. 10 on 4 off

Cons

Micromanaging, don't want to hear the truth about what's really happening in the field.
    Pay sucks compared to industry standard.
    Fairness in pay. hiring new employees at higher rate than older empoyees. will not correct this problem. even with recent "raises" experienced employees are training people that are making more money. VERY BAD IDEA!!!!!

Treat your employees right and pay them fair. You just don't pay older employees less than new hires and expect them to train in-experienced people who make better money. Very bad ethics. Field employees work their butts off to make production, but don't see any return.

Going on one year and wondering if I should have made the transition

Current Employee - Measurement Tech  in  Alva, OK
    Current Employee - Measurement Tech in Alva, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I believe the pros and cons directly depend on your position and what area you work out of. To say dropping the 401k match from 15% to 10% is no big deal either shows that if you make 200k a year it wont really affect you. However someone like myself that works in the field from the Alva office that makes less than half of that a year it is a really big deal. Also Sandridge has made several changes in the structure of the company. From a field standpoint the changes we have experienced have only added confusion and more work to the employees in the field. I am sure that there are several people that the changes made a positive impact on, but I guarantee for every one person that is happy with these changes their are five people that are unhappy. On a brighter note their are probably more changes to come however when upper management is so far out of touch with what is going on in the company at the field level you cannot expect your field teams to be happy. I was promised things when i was hired that never happened and I have little faith in the management of my department. Midstream is a mess and I wish I could transfer out of the measurement group I am in. I will try and stay positive and hope that things will improve up here before we lose the last few knowledgable techs we have in our group.

Cons

I feel like the blind is leading the blind. Its not what you know to move up in this company. Its who you know. My views are strictly based on what I have experienced in the group I work in. But it goes all the way up the ladder. Midstream measurement or now the field automation group is managed by people with no knowledge in what we do. And this is true in OKC as well. The most qualified employees for the positions were bypassed by the least knowledgable that had friends in all the right places.

Take a close look at some of the issues we have in Alva. We have guys in our group that are home everyday at 2pm that don't ever wear their work clothes. No guidance from our team leaders or Manager. My manager wont answer the phone. Email, or tex messages. We are not mind readers. They are running off good technicians and replacing them with people that have no experience. We will end up losing more!

These guys aren't worth your time

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

had the potential to become a great company

Cons

I would not work for them.

Field personnel assaulting hired employees is not professional.

HR has too much power

Former Employee - Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

SandRidge was hiring and were in a boom period when I go hired. Not the company's fault, the cyclical nature of the market... and for the area, they were paying pretty well at my level (manager). Two years post-hire, one of my old consulting companies called, and offered me a chunk of money to go back to consulting. Talked it over with the family, told them I'd take the job, and then turned in my notice. SandRidge VP came back to me with an offer that matched what the consulting company was offering, so I stayed.

Cons

It took more than three months for the company to give me the promised raise and change my title. The title was not the one that was promised, but the one that I finally threw up my hands and said "Fine, I'm tired of arguing!" Within 90 days, HR pulled my vice president into a meeting and told him that they were getting hot-line calls from ALL of my employees. I had 18 people who reported to me... six of whom had been laid off in the latest market bust. Exploring the matter afterwards, I found out that the person who called was an employee that had been laid off in the latest market bust. I'm not saying I was a perfect manager, I was not--but there was no rebuttal allowed, no way to find out who accused me, nothing I could do except, in the end, leave.

First - HR's aim is not to keep the best people anymore, it's reason for being is to help the company avoid liability. I honestly get the need to do that... But if you believe in someone enough to offer them a raise to keep them, why are you willing to believe an anonymous caller that is putting forward obviously false information? Don't give HR the power to ruin people's careers when they're willing to listen to anonymous callers. Bluntly, of the people that were left after the laptop, four would have loved me, four would have hated me, and four would not have cared one way or the other... it's the nature of management--if everyone loves you, then you're not actually doing your job... managers aren't there because everyone doesn't need a manager, they're there because they're needed in order to get the work accomplished.

CEO can't be trusted, is greedy, and doesn't see anything wrong with making $25MM/year

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice fringe benefits: Thunder tickets, gym on-site, discounts at local restaurants

Cons

Completely unpredictable management decisions. Zero structure in certain departments, resulting in no accountability for any level of employee. Most policies literally seem to be made up as they go along. HR is full of 20-something girls who don't have the slightest clue about either the oil and gas business or how to run an HR department.

Figure out what you want to do and do it. Stop trying to trim costs when it comes to employees, while not being willing to give up your ridiculous salaries. Don't tell people you're worth $25 million dollars the week after you've just laid off almost 60 people. And don't deny that over 60 people losing their jobs is a layoff to begin with.

Run away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, central location in downtown, and several opportunities to give back to the community, and tickets to the OKC Thunder.

Cons

This company had a lot of potential. Due to poor management in Accounting and other areas, the morale and good people have all left the building. Repeated complaints to HR from several different people regarding the same issues in different departments goes in one ear and out the other. The upper management is totally disconnected from reality and if you like micro managers, this place is for you. Even recruiters know their reputation and it just keeps getting worse. They brag about community involvement yet allow management to treat their people poorly. It's not worth the $$. There are several good companies in OKC that have a positive work environment. Look elsewhere.

Not sure there is any advice to give middle/upper management except you treat your people terribly. I used to think that Tom was good, but he's let this continue with constant turnover and complaints to HR.

Confused management

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people. Lots of potential upside. Great pay.

Cons

Management has nearly no direction from a micromanagement standpoint. They understand the broad strokes, but little of what should be done to get there.

Role definition is very important in a job. Currently, proposed additions in workload are just picked up or given out randomly.

Worked for SandRidge Energy? Contribute to the Community!