SandRidge Energy

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
2.7

James D. Bennett

These guys aren't worth your time

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

had the potential to become a great company

Cons

I would not work for them.

Field personnel assaulting hired employees is not professional.

this is an OK place to work

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

top notch talent recruited during better times, good people to learn from and nice people.

Cons

good people are leaving company

continue what you are doing to get the attrition you seem to like so much.

HR has too much power

Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SandRidge was hiring and were in a boom period when I go hired. Not the company's fault, the cyclical nature of the market... and for the area, they were paying pretty well at my level (manager). Two years post-hire, one of my old consulting companies called, and offered me a chunk of money to go back to consulting. Talked it over with the family, told them I'd take the job, and then turned in my notice. SandRidge VP came back to me with an offer that matched what the consulting company was offering, so I stayed.

Cons

It took more than three months for the company to give me the promised raise and change my title. The title was not the one that was promised, but the one that I finally threw up my hands and said "Fine, I'm tired of arguing!" Within 90 days, HR pulled my vice president into a meeting and told him that they were getting hot-line calls from ALL of my employees. I had 18 people who reported to me... six of whom had been laid off in the latest market bust. Exploring the matter afterwards, I found out that the person who called was an employee that had been laid off in the latest market bust. I'm not saying I was a perfect manager, I was not--but there was no rebuttal allowed, no way to find out who accused me, nothing I could do except, in the end, leave.

First - HR's aim is not to keep the best people anymore, it's reason for being is to help the company avoid liability. I honestly get the need to do that... But if you believe in someone enough to offer them a raise to keep them, why are you willing to believe an anonymous caller that is putting forward obviously false information? Don't give HR the power to ruin people's careers when they're willing to listen to anonymous callers. Bluntly, of the people that were left after the laptop, four would have loved me, four would have hated me, and four would not have cared one way or the other... it's the nature of management--if everyone loves you, then you're not actually doing your job... managers aren't there because everyone doesn't need a manager, they're there because they're needed in order to get the work accomplished.

Great employees, managment make poor decisions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Excellent facilities

Cons

micro-management of supervisors
    poor spending habits

Let your employees work, better spending habits

Great place to work, as long as you are not management

Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Lease Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, laid back atmosphere (at least in my department), but very professional and respectful. Supervisors care about making employees happy and also getting employees to do the best work possible and to work hard for your salary. We don't do "one job per person" like Chesapeake. We get a lot of opportunities to learn many different aspects of the industry. I've been given lots of continuing education opportunities free of charge, and my supervisor is eager to let me grow and be challenged in my role. Upward mobility is always moving, I never feel trapped or stifled. Our building is really nice, as well, and plans for the city block look really good. They are changing the face of downtown OKC just like Devon has. They also offer many philanthropic opportunities, if you are into that. (I like doing outreach after work, not during my work day, but hey, they're giving back, right?)

Cons

They refuse to call the January 2013 layoff a "layoff". The CEO even denied it in his company address, and then remarked he made 5 million dollars less than the year before. (He's a great CEO, but they're all detached, rich, old white guys, ya know?) A lot of the management team or upperclass executives like landmen are given bad information from lower down the ladder because of fear or intimidation. I wish the landmen had consistent work and did not switch territories all the time. Changing everything up makes it confusing for three times more people down the ladder. I think landmen/engineers/geologists would be more understanding of the people underneath them, and less condescending if they didn't demand we change it up with them. The good news - They are cleaning up a lot of the mess from old management right now.

Advice to Management: Make sure the landmen know who to contact about their problems. Instead of awkward get-togethers in the break room, maybe have smaller meetings with a couple landmen and a couple analysts and techs so that we can go through problems and questions faster, and face-to-face.

CEO can't be trusted, is greedy, and doesn't see anything wrong with making $25MM/year

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice fringe benefits: Thunder tickets, gym on-site, discounts at local restaurants

Cons

Completely unpredictable management decisions. Zero structure in certain departments, resulting in no accountability for any level of employee. Most policies literally seem to be made up as they go along. HR is full of 20-something girls who don't have the slightest clue about either the oil and gas business or how to run an HR department.

Figure out what you want to do and do it. Stop trying to trim costs when it comes to employees, while not being willing to give up your ridiculous salaries. Don't tell people you're worth $25 million dollars the week after you've just laid off almost 60 people. And don't deny that over 60 people losing their jobs is a layoff to begin with.

Run away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, central location in downtown, and several opportunities to give back to the community, and tickets to the OKC Thunder.

Cons

This company had a lot of potential. Due to poor management in Accounting and other areas, the morale and good people have all left the building. Repeated complaints to HR from several different people regarding the same issues in different departments goes in one ear and out the other. The upper management is totally disconnected from reality and if you like micro managers, this place is for you. Even recruiters know their reputation and it just keeps getting worse. They brag about community involvement yet allow management to treat their people poorly. It's not worth the $$. There are several good companies in OKC that have a positive work environment. Look elsewhere.

Not sure there is any advice to give middle/upper management except you treat your people terribly. I used to think that Tom was good, but he's let this continue with constant turnover and complaints to HR.

Great work environment & benefits

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere coming into work each day is uplifting and the SD tower is amazing. Benefits are more than generous. There is a sense of involvement working towards the greater good of the company.

Cons

Mid level management seems unqualified, at least in my department. Managers seem to have just inherited there positions instead of qualifying for them.

Great potential but losing momentum

Current Employee - Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment, good compensation. Some very qualified employees and managers.

Cons

Terrible upper management leadership in many departments. Poor communication between departments. A lot of posturing and positioning while requiring ridiculous efforts from staff in effort to play up their roles. Serious increase in this type of behaviour over the past 12 months making is difficult or impossible for staff and some managers to get any real progress made.

communicate! This company is about family and community. Help employees believe that by showing it in the workplace. Listen to what employees are saying. HR: no one will go to you with issues because your policy is to go directly to the persons manager.

SandRidge is a great company, but the accounting department management is poor.

Current Employee - Accounting in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Accounting in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at SandRidge Energy full-time

Pros

Good pay. Good co-workers. Company encourages involvement with community.

Cons

Accoounting department management uses unfair promotional practices. Training and promotion opportunities are only given to "favorites." If you are a new college grad, a golfer, or are a former Chesapeake employee then you will do well in the accounting department at SandRidge. If you are a woman over the age of 30 your opportunities for training and advancement are nil. Several older women in the accounting department have been passed over for promotions several times while new inexperienced employees are given promotions after 6 months. Some of these older women don't even get raises even though their experience is far greater and their work loads are equal or heavier to those who are being promoted. Unfortunately, the HR department immediately contacts an employees direct manager anytime the employee goes to HR with an issue. With this practice in place, employees don't feel like they can go to HR with issues without putting their job at risk.

Hire managers that care about their employees and use fair promotion practices. Restaff senior management in Accounting. Change HR practices to provide anonymity to employees when they make complaints so that they feel they can go to HR with issues without losing their jobs.