Sandia

Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

Sandia President Paul Hommert
Paul Hommert

Pros
  • Great for work/life balance if that's what you are looking for (in 35 reviews)

• salary level is among the top for post-doc, and very good work-life balance, the 9/80 work schedule give you every other Friday off (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review can feel a bit arbitrary (in 13 reviews)

• Performance Review Process: The performance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

102 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Sandia Internship

I worked at Sandia

Pros

The work I completed during my internship was both interesting and challenging. Everyone in my group was passionate about their work and was very willing to help. The 80 hour work week over 9 days was attractive.

Cons

The only negative aspect of working at Sandia was the inherent necessity of bringing a car. I did not and at times struggled with getting to base and out of base as my division's building was far into the base and far from and boss stop. This can be resolved with a bicycle, but passing vehicles provide a constant source of difficulty.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Research Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They really encourage continuing your education, so there are always presentations being given for curious people. It's an environment that fosters personal growth and betterment.

Cons

The facility itself is huge, and so it can be tough to get from one place to another. Ya have to deal with the typical bureaucracy that's to be expected from a government installation.

It really depends

Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - R&D Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good steady salary. Good work-life balance if you choose. Pockets of really interesting work that truly affect the nation. Be careful to get into the right business areas if you want to feel valued by the corporation.

Cons

You have to come into this place with extreme passion for your work with an extremely robust positive attitude in order to truly thrive—anything less and you can end up cynical and frustrated after a short time. The bureaucracy is pretty bad. I’ve witnessed many bright staff pour their hearts and lives into Lab projects over the years only to get their passion and motivation drained by the Sandia system.

I wouldn't know what to tell them. Maybe, good luck? Entry level management responsibilities at Sandia are tough. Their incentives are often not aligned with fostering highly effective teams. They have very little authority/ability to hold staff accountable or to reward them.

Great work, but company lacks vision

Former Employee - Computer Science R&D in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Computer Science R&D in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, job security, some incredibly gifted employees that make it an honor to work there, good work, can move throughout the company

Cons

Serious wage compression problems. No maternity/paternity leave. Leadership is the only thing valued when it comes to performance review. Rampant cronyism and nepotism. Can be a good ol'boys network depending on the area. Technical skill is undervalued. Benefits experienced a steep decline within a short period of time. Only PhDs are truly valued (due to history).

Get rid of the mandatory binning policy. It's ok to have layoffs, especially for those that are too complacent. Strict GPA policy requirements for undergraduate/graduate level work needs to be re-evaluated; it's always relevant to the company, even with 20 years of industry experience.

Working at Sandia as a summer intern was a great experience. The people were people and I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a summer intern the hourly pay-rate was exceptional. I had all the tools I need to complete my summer research and was given plenty of great research opportunities.

Cons

Having a car is a necessity given the size of Kirtland air force base. The 8hrs worth of mandatory on-line training was tedious but I guess it comes with the territory.

Good work life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay for interns was good. They offered several different events throughout the summer for interns. It seems like there are opportunities to move up the ladder as a lot of my coworkers started as interns. My mentor was pretty young (late 20s) and held a higher level position than others. My manager was polite and welcoming- she made sure I was getting adjusted to SNL and Albuquerque comfortably. Would occasionally ask how my work is going. Colleagues are very bright and welcome questions or concerns. SNL offers great healthcare and a 9/80 work schedule. They encourage everyone to further their education and continue to work at SNL. They also have daily food trucks, which is convenient in case you don't have time to pack a lunch.

Cons

My organization had to move offices in the middle of my internship. We basically switched to a different floor which seemed pointless. There is a lot of paperwork involved in the hiring/separation process.

Interesting work, boring culture

Former Employee - Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance (option to take off alternating Fridays)
    Interesting work, meaningful projects
    Mobility between groups
    Fantastic management who really want to help shape your career
    Reasonable pay, which increases significantly year-by-year for students, based on education level
    Sometimes you can go to information sessions about cool projects in other departments

Cons

Clearances (take a long time to get. If you don't have one, your options are more limited)
    More introverted culture (not a lot of lunch outings or general chatting among coworkers)
    Uncertainty about which areas have the top priority, future management of the company
    Red tape because of approvals needed from DOD and/or DOE

Can be great or not so good

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sandia has areas with top staff and exciting, challenging work but this does vary across the laboratory.

Cons

In nuclear weapons work, Sandia is struggling with knowledgeable, experienced staff retiring and too many new, unexperienced staff coming in. Sandia did not strategize time for mentoring and "spinning" staff up.

Gave me a great opportunity to explore the field of energy policy through a summer internship.

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay for interns was quite generous. In addition, my supervisors were very concerned about what I was gaining from the experience. They wanted to make sure that my time at Sandia was worthwhile.

Cons

I did not have a security clearance, but most of my department worked within a secure area. Consequently, most of my work was done separate from my group, in an office with other interns working on many different lines of work.

Sandia Review

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable, fair, safe place to work

Cons

Advancement is slow. They do not adequately reward performance.

You will continue to lose young talented employees if you do not adequately compensate them and offer them room for advancement. People thrive on risk and challenge. Offering stability and safety are not enough to attract and retain talented and passionate employees.