Sandia

Updated November 17, 2014
3.8

Sandia President Paul Hommert
Paul Hommert

Pros
  • Great for work/life balance if that's what you are looking for (in 35 reviews)

• salary level is among the top for post-doc, and very good work-life balance, the 9/80 work schedule give you every other Friday off (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review can feel a bit arbitrary (in 13 reviews)

• Performance Review Process: The performance (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Sandia as a summer intern was a great experience. The people were people and I learned a lot.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As a summer intern the hourly pay-rate was exceptional. I had all the tools I need to complete my summer research and was given plenty of great research opportunities.

Cons

Having a car is a necessity given the size of Kirtland air force base. The 8hrs worth of mandatory on-line training was tedious but I guess it comes with the territory.

Great work, but company lacks vision

Former Employee - Computer Science R&D in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Computer Science R&D in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, job security, some incredibly gifted employees that make it an honor to work there, good work, can move throughout the company

Cons

Serious wage compression problems. No maternity/paternity leave. Leadership is the only thing valued when it comes to performance review. Rampant cronyism and nepotism. Can be a good ol'boys network depending on the area. Technical skill is undervalued. Benefits experienced a steep decline within a short period of time. Only PhDs are truly valued (due to history).

Get rid of the mandatory binning policy. It's ok to have layoffs, especially for those that are too complacent. Strict GPA policy requirements for undergraduate/graduate level work needs to be re-evaluated; it's always relevant to the company, even with 20 years of industry experience.

Pretty Middle of the road place to work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Appointee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a nice place to work with many opportunities to step outside your field if you are willing to talk with others and find ways you can contribute.

Cons

Its a government position and having your funding tied to the whims of Congress and respective funding agencies is disconcerting.

Great place to intern

Former Employee - TechnicalUndergrad in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - TechnicalUndergrad in Livermore, CA

I worked at Sandia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good research, tons of opportunities for growth and learning, good pay

Cons

Bureacracy can be somewhat inefficient

Good place to work

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, lots of freedom, good job security, flexibility to move around the company, ability to work from home, low pressure, many smart and capable co-workers, flexible 9/80 work schedule

Cons

No/limited bonuses, relatively low morale at the CA site, performance review is not done well and can be discouraging (they rank all employees a la Microsoft), writing research proposals is a time sink and not very rewarding (esp LDRD process)

Rethink performance review, make LDRD process more collaborative with management.

Good work life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay for interns was good. They offered several different events throughout the summer for interns. It seems like there are opportunities to move up the ladder as a lot of my coworkers started as interns. My mentor was pretty young (late 20s) and held a higher level position than others. My manager was polite and welcoming- she made sure I was getting adjusted to SNL and Albuquerque comfortably. Would occasionally ask how my work is going. Colleagues are very bright and welcome questions or concerns. SNL offers great healthcare and a 9/80 work schedule. They encourage everyone to further their education and continue to work at SNL. They also have daily food trucks, which is convenient in case you don't have time to pack a lunch.

Cons

My organization had to move offices in the middle of my internship. We basically switched to a different floor which seemed pointless. There is a lot of paperwork involved in the hiring/separation process.

Interesting work, boring culture

Former Employee - Intern in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance (option to take off alternating Fridays)
    Interesting work, meaningful projects
    Mobility between groups
    Fantastic management who really want to help shape your career
    Reasonable pay, which increases significantly year-by-year for students, based on education level
    Sometimes you can go to information sessions about cool projects in other departments

Cons

Clearances (take a long time to get. If you don't have one, your options are more limited)
    More introverted culture (not a lot of lunch outings or general chatting among coworkers)
    Uncertainty about which areas have the top priority, future management of the company
    Red tape because of approvals needed from DOD and/or DOE

Can be great or not so good

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sandia has areas with top staff and exciting, challenging work but this does vary across the laboratory.

Cons

In nuclear weapons work, Sandia is struggling with knowledgeable, experienced staff retiring and too many new, unexperienced staff coming in. Sandia did not strategize time for mentoring and "spinning" staff up.

Big company culture - lots of opportunities within a bureaucracy

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sandia has a laid back research environment with many characteristics similar to a university. It's a large company with lots of opportunities. The people are nearly uniformly conscientious and dedicated. Albuquerque has 300 days of sun a year and has mountain hiking within 10 minutes.

Cons

Sandia has a stovepiped management culture - the bureaucracy of a large company - with few career opportunities. While there are lots of opportunities, most people do essentially the same job year after year their whole career.

Software Developer Intern @ Sandia's Thoughts

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance definitely favors the life side, starting pay for both interns and entry level pay is good, get to chose your projects and work on multiple ones, *can* get every other Friday off.

Very good if you want to focus in research.

Cons

Hard to get a full time position without a PhD. Company has all behavioral interviews ... can lead to underqualified overqualified peers. Needs US Citizenship for any full time job, they just opened internships up for foreign nationals this year.

Work seems to be very polarized, either cutting edge tech or menial work. Projects depend on external funding, so if your project is axed, then you find another project (who'll take you) or get laid off...