Sandia Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.7

Sandia President Paul Hommert
Paul Hommert

Pros
  • Great work life balance (option to take off alternating Fridays) (in 34 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, reasonable benefits, salaries not as good as they used to be, generous time off policies (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review can feel a bit arbitrary (in 11 reviews)

• There are "technical staff" who couldn't balance an equation if their life depended on it (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay for interns was good. They offered several different events throughout the summer for interns. It seems like there are opportunities to move up the ladder as a lot of my coworkers started as interns. My mentor was pretty young (late 20s) and held a higher level position than others. My manager was polite and welcoming- she made sure I was getting adjusted to SNL and Albuquerque comfortably. Would occasionally ask how my work is going. Colleagues are very bright and welcome questions or concerns. SNL offers great healthcare and a 9/80 work schedule. They encourage everyone to further their education and continue to work at SNL. They also have daily food trucks, which is convenient in case you don't have time to pack a lunch.

Cons

My organization had to move offices in the middle of my internship. We basically switched to a different floor which seemed pointless. There is a lot of paperwork involved in the hiring/separation process.

Interesting work, boring culture

Former Employee - Intern in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Sandia as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance (option to take off alternating Fridays)
    Interesting work, meaningful projects
    Mobility between groups
    Fantastic management who really want to help shape your career
    Reasonable pay, which increases significantly year-by-year for students, based on education level
    Sometimes you can go to information sessions about cool projects in other departments

Cons

Clearances (take a long time to get. If you don't have one, your options are more limited)
    More introverted culture (not a lot of lunch outings or general chatting among coworkers)
    Uncertainty about which areas have the top priority, future management of the company
    Red tape because of approvals needed from DOD and/or DOE

Software Developer Intern @ Sandia's Thoughts

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Livermore, CA

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance definitely favors the life side, starting pay for both interns and entry level pay is good, get to chose your projects and work on multiple ones, *can* get every other Friday off.

Very good if you want to focus in research.

Cons

Hard to get a full time position without a PhD. Company has all behavioral interviews ... can lead to underqualified overqualified peers. Needs US Citizenship for any full time job, they just opened internships up for foreign nationals this year.

Work seems to be very polarized, either cutting edge tech or menial work. Projects depend on external funding, so if your project is axed, then you find another project (who'll take you) or get laid off...

Big company culture - lots of opportunities within a bureaucracy

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sandia has a laid back research environment with many characteristics similar to a university. It's a large company with lots of opportunities. The people are nearly uniformly conscientious and dedicated. Albuquerque has 300 days of sun a year and has mountain hiking within 10 minutes.

Cons

Sandia has a stovepiped management culture - the bureaucracy of a large company - with few career opportunities. While there are lots of opportunities, most people do essentially the same job year after year their whole career.

Quality Internship, Excellent Path to Career Growth

Former Employee - Center for Cyber Defenders
    Former Employee - Center for Cyber Defenders

I worked at Sandia as an intern

Pros

The program was well-run, offered a multitude of opportunities for students, and integrated us well with the lab. Mentors were extremely helpful and supportive, often offering to go out of their way to support interns. Benefits even for interns was very good, and activities and events outside of work were enjoyable and engendered lots of interaction with the group.

Cons

Some aspects of government work can be taxing, such as the pedantic task of entering hours and mandated trainings for safety and so on. Some lab groups can be managed less well than others. It can be challenging to get immersed into a project over a single summer, though that can be difficult no matter what the case.

Overall Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Technical Summer in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Summer in Livermore, CA

I have been working at Sandia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people there are amazing, and they really care about making sure you learn and succeed if you work there as a student intern. The science and engineering departments are top-notch and it's in honor to work with them. They also offer extended education programs for qualifying individuals.

Cons

The management is a bit bureaucratic since it's a federally funded lab, but eventually you get used to it. The management can be fairly easy-going as long as you follow the rules and know what you are doing.

Not bad

Gave me a great opportunity to explore the field of energy policy through a summer internship.

I worked at Sandia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The pay for interns was quite generous. In addition, my supervisors were very concerned about what I was gaining from the experience. They wanted to make sure that my time at Sandia was worthwhile.

Cons

I did not have a security clearance, but most of my department worked within a secure area. Consequently, most of my work was done separate from my group, in an office with other interns working on many different lines of work.

Sandia Review

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable, fair, safe place to work

Cons

Advancement is slow. They do not adequately reward performance.

You will continue to lose young talented employees if you do not adequately compensate them and offer them room for advancement. People thrive on risk and challenge. Offering stability and safety are not enough to attract and retain talented and passionate employees.

Great pay, great job

Current Employee - Business Management Professional in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Business Management Professional in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is great, especially considering the cost of living in Albuquerque. The people are some of the smartest in the industry, and the work they do is truly cutting edge. One of the biggest benefits, though, is being able to transfer to other areas with relative ease. You can work your entire career here, and have a ton of very different jobs.

Cons

Bureaucracy can be frustrating, but it's understandable. Also, the performance review process is ridiculous. 10% of people have to be rated a 2 on a 1 through 5 scale. It's really hard to give someone the equivalent of a D, especially considering we hire some of the smartest people from the best schools in the country.

Change TotalComp!

Some of the best people to work with anywhere.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sandia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly professional, smart staff. Research scientists an engineers from top academic programs across the nation. Excellent work life balance culture. They walk the talk on work life balance because it creates healthy individuals who contribute at a higher level. The mission work and facilities to perform the work are without equal. The work here really matters.

Cons

Can feel bureaucratic due to layers of regulations, policies and security rules. However, these factors should be expected given the nature of the mission and work at Sandia. Patience and tenacity are important attributes.

Trust the judgment of your very dedicated, committed employees and managers.