Sandia

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandia President Paul Hommert

Paul Hommert

Pros
  • Great for work/life balance if that's what you are looking for(in 30 reviews)

• 9/80 work schedule, reasonable benefits, salaries not as good as they used to be, generous time off policies(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Performance review can feel a bit arbitrary(in 9 reviews)

• There are "technical staff" who couldn't balance an equation if their life depended on it(in 6 reviews)

Good balance, great environment

Proshealthcare, innovation focused, open to start-up leave, good pay

Consslow moving, tons of training (ladder training ??),definitely government position but still good.

Excellent

PMTS (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsGreat sense of value and purpose. Tremendous amount of respect and independence. Great work life balance. Great benefits and salaries. Great training programs.

ConsIn some ways, Albuquerque. Some bureaucracy and politics. Congressional budget fluctuations can cause disturbances. Slow degradation of benefits will hurt eventually. Reward system is improving but upward mobility is still slow mostly due to low turnover and limited budgets.

Advice to Senior ManagementDownsize the recent influx of financial analysts.

I am a graduate research intern at Sandia National Labs

ProsThis place has some of the best minds in the country to work with, and also boasts of great infrastructure to go with it. You are given complete control of your research projects, without any administrative responsibilities to distract you.

ConsAs with any government organization, there is a lot of paper work and protocol to complete before you can start working independently. Then again, the process is really smooth after the first few months.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful company

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsI can't think of a single thing. I am quitting soon and going back to academia.

Cons1. There is no money for R & D
    2. If you have a PhD you will be treated without the respect earned by your degree
    3. There are "technical staff" who couldn't balance an equation if their life depended on it
    4. The lab is full of lazy staff members
    5. FFRDCs are losing funding and as a Sandian you cannot compete for money which is handed out to universities
    6. if you are a PI, then some idiot manager will be placed in charge of your budget and will spend all the money on the "deadweight"
    7. There is no focus on sound scientific research and development
    8. Focus is on nuclear weapons and nothing else matters
    9. No latitude for creativity
    10. 90% of the technical staff is over the age of 50
    11. Employees will tell government agencies anything they want to hear
    12. Many people here do not understand the scientific method (engineer culture) or the value of hypothesis testing
    13. Poor culture towards women, minorities, and LGBT (I am a white male)
    14. Avid climate change deniers in Senior Management
    15. A tattle culture

Advice to Senior ManagementScuttle the ship?

IT Systems Analyst / Manager

ProsThe technology and the people.

ConsLimited in broadening my career aspirations. .

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways work to build a great team and help others succeed.

Mixed bag, but overall positive

PMTS (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsLots of very smart people, challenging problems, excellent facilities. Opportunity to work on problems on national importance.

ConsFar too much bureaucracy, compensation system has severe defects. Too tighly controlled by DOE

Advice to Senior ManagementReward system (esp. compensation) needs to recognize differences between divisions. Having comparable salary distributions in all divisions is stupid.

The most LGBT unfriendly employer I have ever seen, with institutionalized workplace bullying.

Principal Member of the Technical Staff (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsDo you like it when the place of your employment is completely deserted right at 5pm? Sandia is the place for you. Great for work/life balance if that's what you are looking for.

ConsI had been there for several years, and had been the target of workplace bullying during the last year. When I reported it to management, they whitewashed it and then subsequently knocked my performance appraisal down. Here is an organization that cares more about how you fit in terms of the individual power agendas, and less to none about how performance impacts the enduser customers. They institutionalize bullying by telling people (me included) to not escalate such things up the normal path (i.e., through management, and in writing). That was all I needed to know to make my decision to leave. LGBT? Don't bother. They are very LGBT unfriendly.

You will not find a better company to work for! There’s nothing like it.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThis is my top ten list:
    1. Easy to get a job. Lack of candidates with US citizenship and advanced degrees resulted in hiring those who couldn't get or keep jobs in private sector. Interviews consist of behavioral questions, and no technical questions are asked.
    2. Non-existent dress code. I have seen more cleavage and butt cheeks here than at Hooters. There are many college coeds and office admins who dress provocatively. A+
    3. Work-life balance would make French jealous. Many employees take 2 hour lunch breaks and/or always come in late and leave early. Working over weekends is so uncommon, you will not see another living soul around. Telecommuting is encouraged, and some employees never show up for work.
    4. Encouraged to come up with the most ridiculous ideas that get funded. Never mind if there is no market for your product/idea because you will get more money to go around and market this product to other groups and customers. It is a great place to reinvent the wheel.
    5. At the end of each financial year, you get to splurge on new equipment, computers, and etc to spend down unused funds.
    6. Get time off for working overtime.
    7. Traveling to conferences and training is encouraged.
    8. Outstanding educational benefits – You get to go full time to an Ivy League university while getting paid 75% of your salary.
    9. Opportunity to shake hands with state officials and senators who like to come over and brag how much they did for SNL and NM.
    10. Free healthcare at the onsite clinic.

ConsNo downsides at all to working here. This place will ruin you for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the same thing. There’s no such thing as too much of a good thing.

Politicized management; some dedicated staff keep Sandia alive

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThere are still a huge range of interesting topics that you can contribute on. 9/80 schedule is fantastic. Many dedicated staff that will help you get work done, though don't expect it to be recognized by management. Your job satisfaction will only come from pride in a job well done, so be sure the projects you get on have some personal interest.

ConsAll national labs are becoming steadily less relevant as development money is disappearing from government budgets and research money is sent more to universities. Can't compete for a lot of fundamental research money as a FFRDC, and things you could compete for you are effectively priced out of because of ridiculous overhead rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim unproductive staff and reward dedicated staff. Why should someone kill themselves for a 2.1% raise when you can do no work and get 1.7%.?

So much potential wasted...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsThe quality of the staff. The mission.

ConsManagement doesn't walk the talk. They say they are listening but aren't. Poor performance is tolerated at high levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe new staffing system could have been ok, but was redesigned by technical folks who don't respect the HR professionals, the financial staff or any of the non-R&D staff.

Worked for Sandia? Contribute to the Community!