Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services

Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services President Robert Schafer

Robert Schafer

It's a job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsThey'll hire with little experience and offer you training. The custom's broker's license is nice to have. Work-life balance is good, I never got a phone call during off-hours.

ConsPay for most jobs is in the bottom 10% of the market, benefits are awful, no room for advancement, managers do not have degrees or outside experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and retain talent. Outsource marketing to a firm that specializes in marketing - you get a higher return on investment. Invest in technology. Systems are out of date and put the company at a competitive disadvantage.

STTAS: Where it's been 2008 for six years

Analyst (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsSome good people, free coffee

ConsPrepare to be appalled at how little money you'll make. I went to a competitor and make 40% more for doing virtually the same job. Plus the executives at STTAS are so out of touch that they don't see this as a problem. Nor do they see the value in having managers who aren't passive aggressive and undereducated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees better. Your turnover will improve, and you can attract better people. Paying people much less than what they're worth will only hurt your business. It's not rocket science.

Worst Job I have EVER had

Classification Analyst (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

Prospay/benefits
    good parking
    that is honestly all i can think of.

Consmanagement, job description matching actual job, misleading information on how the company operates.

The management is a gestapo style management. they offer you 2 15 minute breaks per 8 hour shift but scold you when you try to use them. They say you have to work 8 hours a day, but you really work 8.5 if you only take a half hour lunch. GOD FORBID you need to take a half a day and work extra hours in the week to make up for it so you can go to a doctors appointment. What is the point of great medical benefits if they NEVER let you use them. I had bronchitis and they wouldn't let me take a few hours off in the morning or afternoon to go to the doctor, i therefore infected others around me, no matter how hard i tried not to. The management is one of the worst i have ever experienced, they could care less about you as a person and only like you if you are a lemming with no opinion or ideas. I wouldn't work there again if they doubled my pay. Within 2 weeks of working there i saw a turn around of around 15 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to respect your employees. Provide REAL training. Take some classes in organizational behavior at your local college.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Management

Business Representative (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsThe other people who went through the same Hell I did while there. We could at least understand what each other was going through

ConsManagement. One day, I know what I am doing, the next day middle management changes and have no clue on what I am doing. Was made to feel more often than not like a total idiot. Was in trouble due to calling off because of the flu. Had other managers watching me to see what I was doing. Would go in each day sick to my stoamch. Had a family pass away after 4 years with the company and when I came back after the funeral, it was not even acknowldeged that I had lost a family member. Nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with actual management experience and knows how to treat people with respect.

Good place to get a foot in the door in the industry

Analyst (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

Pros- Very lenient and generous vacation day policy
    - Frequent raises, bonuses
    - Lots of opportunity for upward mobility
    - Nice upper management involvement. The CEO often holds

Cons- Low, below industry average starting wages
    - Disorganised, underexperienced management
    - lots of micromanagement going on. The vice president often holds meetings with teams to discuss their trajectory, they could just hold meetings with individual team leaders. It would be much more effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with company processes, stop trying to change things just to get attention of the executives

Bitterly disappointing, small-town culture of nepotism and churning with minimal respect, compensation.

Management (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsFoot in the door in the industry
    Most analysts, supervisors are nice

ConsHorrible compensation - pay is decreasing & layoffs occur for those who begin to make more that are not in the inner circle of those who started the firm
    Goal is to continually churn employees to an extent - 4 rounds of layoffs targeting experienced employees to hire new employees at much, much less cost in days
    Had to self-teach myself - management did not mentor and training was nonexistent
    Employees are treated like prisoners, internet, e-mail, and security passes are monitored monthly

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit if still have integrity or encourage employees to find somewhere better.

STTAS is a nice stepping stone within the industry, but that's about it.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsCompany offers international trade/Customs compliance seminars on a routine basis
    Free seminars offered for taking the Customs Broker exam
    Exposure to entry level experience within international trade industry

ConsMost of management is unprofessional and lacks a college level education
    Lack of technical training provided
    Low pay compared to the productivity expectations from management
    Opportunity within the company only stems from turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing that you value your employees by providing more technical training and facilitating a more conducive work atmosphere/culture can go a long way.

Would you like a side of incompetence with your micromanagement?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood paid time off. Some training seminars offered on topics relating to international trade and Customs compliance.

ConsMiddle management harasses employees constantly (even to the point it has other members of management "watch" "questionable" employees) and micromanages people as much as possible. When I was hired, I was told that at STTAS I'd have the ability to use my language skills - which are considerable - but I was never offered an opportunity to use them, even after I asked that I be placed on some international projects. The management here is assortment of endlessly unsatisfied, passive-aggressive nincompoops. Within one to two years of starting, most people are worn down and either quit or are fired. This leaves room for only the most mediocre of drones -- and don't forget, their friends -- to rise to the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to communicate effectively and lead firmly -- not nitpick.

Begin here, acquire license and leave

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsA good place to begin, learn the basics and acquire yours customs brokers license from as they have good seminars from experienced people. Good time off.

ConsPoor middle management. Heavy micro-managing philosophy. Very low pay. Promotions come with more hours, a title, and more responsibility but little to no additional pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose middle management more carefully.

Room for improvement...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsGreat time off. Period.

Opportunity for advancement is rampant due to a high turnaround rate. Promotions are handed out in an effort to retain employees, rather than offering sign of merit.

ConsThere is an overall lack of company resources and inappropriate business ethics. If you are looking for your first job, this may be a start to build your resume. For everyone else, I'd recommend taking the time to interview elsewhere and weighing out your options.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should take greater strides at retaining their employees.

Excessive micromanagement frequently disrupts and interferes with teams goals and responsibilities.

Treat your employees with respect.

Worked for Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services? Contribute to the Community!