Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services

Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services President Robert Schafer

Robert Schafer

Room for improvement...

I worked at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time

ProsGreat time off. Period.

Opportunity for advancement is rampant due to a high turnaround rate. Promotions are handed out in an effort to retain employees, rather than offering sign of merit.

ConsThere is an overall lack of company resources and inappropriate business ethics. If you are looking for your first job, this may be a start to build your resume. For everyone else, I'd recommend taking the time to interview elsewhere and weighing out your options.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should take greater strides at retaining their employees.

Excessive micromanagement frequently disrupts and interferes with teams goals and responsibilities.

Treat your employees with respect.

STTAS is a nice stepping stone within the industry, but that's about it.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompany offers international trade/Customs compliance seminars on a routine basis
Free seminars offered for taking the Customs Broker exam
Exposure to entry level experience within international trade industry

ConsMost of management is unprofessional and lacks a college level education
Lack of technical training provided
Low pay compared to the productivity expectations from management
Opportunity within the company only stems from turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing that you value your employees by providing more technical training and facilitating a more conducive work atmosphere/culture can go a long way.

Would you like a side of incompetence with your micromanagement?

I worked at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time

ProsGood paid time off. Some training seminars offered on topics relating to international trade and Customs compliance.

ConsMiddle management harasses employees constantly (even to the point it has other members of management "watch" "questionable" employees) and micromanages people as much as possible. When I was hired, I was told that at STTAS I'd have the ability to use my language skills - which are considerable - but I was never offered an opportunity to use them, even after I asked that I be placed on some international projects. The management here is assortment of endlessly unsatisfied, passive-aggressive nincompoops. Within one to two years of starting, most people are worn down and either quit or are fired. This leaves room for only the most mediocre of drones -- and don't forget, their friends -- to rise to the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to communicate effectively and lead firmly -- not nitpick.

Begin here, acquire license and leave

Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA good place to begin, learn the basics and acquire yours customs brokers license from as they have good seminars from experienced people. Good time off.

ConsPoor middle management. Heavy micro-managing philosophy. Very low pay. Promotions come with more hours, a title, and more responsibility but little to no additional pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose middle management more carefully.

Not a good place to work.

Farmington Hills, MI

ProsThe people that you meet.

ConsThe pay, the benefits and the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to hire managers based on ability, and not on length of time at the company, or who they know.

Underpaid

Prosgreat vacation time, good place to start a career

Consway to busy for the pay... and let me tell you, you will be extremely underpaid

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiring kids right out of college

Looks are deceiving...

Management (Former Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearned a decent about importing and exporting

ConsUnderpaid, small town atmosphere, some departments do not tolerate differences of opinion. Career track limited...

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new management styles, manage intelligently, pay workers enough to be competitive and retain workers.

Overall a bad experience, but it has potential

Analyst (Current Employee)
Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services full-time for less than a year

ProsWork/life balance
training opportunities
a paycheck

Consto be fair, this industry was just really boring for me, but on top of that...
Very low compensation.
Management is a joke. Several times one employee would burst out swearing and complaining at the v.p. and management after being frustrated, and he would joke how management never did anything about it.
Management has very little ability to hold structure or understand what's happening on accounts.

Although the company does have a lot of potential to being a decent place to work, every upper management/middle management person I knew didn't know how to delegate or work with people

Advice to Senior ManagementTake management classes and restructure your current set-up.

Poor management all around.

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services

Pros- Hires people with no industry experience
- Shows you the ropes of the trade compliance industry
- Thorough training modules that prepare you for other aspects of the business
- Generous time off policies

Cons- Poor management from the top down
- Incredibly low salaries, after working there for two years, I made less than when I started
- Management cuts everyone's wages, right after they tell everyone the company had its best year ever
- Promotions are based almost purely on nepotism, with performance nearly irrelevant
- Management is unprofessional, saying rude and derogatory things to their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees decent wages! Most people get a year or two experience there, and then move on. When I moved on, my new employer offered me 40% more than I made at STTAS.

Don't cut pay when the company has the best year ever.

Provide incentive for good performance, and don't base them strictly on friendships.

Inexperienced Management

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services

ProsTraining opportunities to learn the industry is impeccable. They offer free coffee and tea all day long for the entire staff. They will pay for your testing to earn your Broker Licence.

ConsManagers are very inexperienced. Most managers are in position based on friendships more than ability. They treat employees like children and offer zero respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging and promote through ability and skill versus friends.

Worked for Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services CEO Robert Schafer. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Sandler and Travis Trade Advisory Services employees.