www.sandvine.com Waterloo, Canada 500 to 999 Employees

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sandvine President and CEO Dave Caputo

Dave Caputo

Pros:
  • "Leading edge technology, exciting space to be in, the people"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Smart people, high tech, difficult problems to solve, a really dedicated group of employees"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Top management has no new blood and no vision of where the company will go"
    in 4 reviews
  • "People usually have to work for extra hours in order to get job done, and this is usually the case all through the year"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A great company to work for with great leadership!

RFP Team (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Competitive salary and benefits package
-Fun place to work. Everyone works hard and plays hard
-A learning environment
-Leadership team has open door policy. They are immersed in the culture and very hands-on
-Employees are encouraged to take risks and be creative
-Management care about fostering the growth and development of employees
-Spirited debate is encouraged

Cons-Silos exist but collaboration and information sharing is improving

Used to be a good place

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team work. People are nice and caring in general.

ConsWorking extra hours to finish work. Documentation is poor. New comer remains upset as he hears different answers for the same questions. Company will loose all its strength if employees with the longer duration leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much hiring from RIM may spoil the culture. Already employees are not happy with the decision making of those who joined from RIM. Discrimination is felt especially towards promotions.

Good so far

Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Sandvine as an intern for less than a year

ProsFreshers does not get appropriate training but still would be a very good start up company for their career.

ConsTotally different style of working

I have been working at Sandvine

ProsLeading edge technology, exciting space to be in, the people

ConsChallenges with critical mass of staff which is now being addressed

Advice to Senior ManagementChallenge the status quo

Sandvine

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Jerusalem (Israel)

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood experience
lots of good people

Consthey terminated the israeli site.

Very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sandvine as a contractor for more than a year

ProsOther employees, corporate culture and management team

ConsInternal communications is an area that needs improvement

OK Company with poor management.

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than a year

ProsSandvine has some good people working with it.
Compensation is good even if the hikes are not.
Free lunches and friendly HR.

ConsVery poor management.
No respect for personal space. People get calls at night time to start working on stuff.
Individualism is an absolute no-no in this company. People dont want to hear what you have to say.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people some space and listen to them some of them have really good opinions.

Top 10 reasons not to go to Sandvine

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sandvine full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery good software practices. (code reviews, unit tests, automated and performance tests)

One of the better implementations of automated testing that I have witnessed.

People are hard working and there is a "can do" attitude in the company.

Cons1. Lack of focus/accountability: Even after 7+ years after an IPO, some management still describe Sandvine as a startup. Its not. They have to have a very mature processes to make sure the software is well developed to a high standard. However the long tenured developers are allowed to do what ever they wish against the standard policy.

2. Poor management experience: Management is mostly made up of people that have been there 10+ years directly out of school and are set in their ways. Best management practices are only stumbled upon and not developed.

3. Lack of planning: Many times the engineering dept has been left trying to fast track new product development becasue there was not sufficient planning on EOL parts on existing products. This resulted in EOL parts being bought on e-bay and products pushed out long before they are truely ready for a tier 1 network. Engineers are expected to suck up the overtime and dont complain.

4. Lack of support: There is no career development. Its sink or swim. Your training is on the job and dont expect anyone to train you about the product.

5. Lack of architecture: Dont ask for an architecture diagram or document. They dont exist and the architects like it that way. Causes mass confusion for all developers and makes it very difficult to understand the whole system.

6. Low quality tests: They have 1000s of tests, But the infrastrucutre is so unreliable they only have to have a single PASS of each test after dozens of executions. It takes over a week to find regressions. Near a release, many testers repeat tests executions multiple times until all of them PASS once.

7. Departmental fifedoms: there is a constant struggle between all departments and very little collaboration to work together. Causees stress and conflict and drags productivity down.

8. Lack of Product reliability: Sandvines equipment is often placed in tier one networks, but their system is not robust to failures. Fault tolerance is not designed into the product and as a result, a small army of engineers comb through the hot issues on customers networks daily. Its not profitable to add reliabilty so they throw people at it and bill it as support contracts.

9. Customers force Sandvine around. Sandvine sells to some very large corporations. As a result Sandvine has had to spend a lot of extra efffort back porting features onto older releases which they were not designed for. A lot of wasted effort for a single sale (although a large one).

10. Product space is heavily regulated: Sandvine is a DPI company. Prorotcols change and break regularly. But the main thrust of their products is on Usage Based Billing. The public is largely against UBB and govenermetns heavily regulate network operators. This environment causes very slow changes in network management which Sandvine advocates. However buisness is great in less regulated sections of the world. You can find skype calls blocked thanks to Sandvine.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some true managers into the company. Forcing people to work tones of over time weakens morale. Get your departments working together instead of against each other.

Not a place to work if you have career aspirations.

I have been working at Sandvine full-time for more than 3 years

Pros+ Engineering Process
+ Free lunch/evening snacks/beverages.

ConsGuess the positive reviews down were propaganda posts from someone closer to either HR or the newly promoted AVP. I see lot of false praises in those posts which can't possibly come from neutral employees.

- Zero trust on employees. Highlight is that recently they went to an extent of getting 'writing confirmation' from every team member working in a project that "assigned work will be completed on time". They have problem in trusting their own employees.

-Management do not take any responsibility/ownership should a project slip time lines. Entire blame would befell on the poor developer for none of his/her fault of wrong estimates or incomplete requirements passed down.

-Things follow hierarchical order from top down. No opinions/suggestions are considered from bottom to top. AVPs and Managers in Bangalore are too scared of their Canadian counterparts may be the fear of their jobs.

-Lack of product vision. They have started and scrapped lot of projects.

-Job insecurity. You may be fired any time for none of your fault but even due to project budgeting reasons or to show up quarterly earnings. And in the subsequent quarter, they will start hiring again and even encouraging employees for referrals. Doubt any saner organisation would do. About four Directors have left the organisation in the last one year and some of these have left or fired within months they joined.

-No parity in pay scale and it is not even based on performance. Average hike of 6 or 7 % max.

Advice to Senior Management-> Empower the employees and trust them. Show a little transparency.

-> Keep the upper management accountable for every project that is being scrapped. It is unacceptable for playing with company's R&D fund in scrapping and starting projects.

-> Impart training on 'soft skills and human relations' to all AVPs, Managers and HRs.

-> Hire experienced guys in project/product management from Industry.

-> Run a annual anonymous reverse evaluation(or survey) on every Managers & AVPs from their reportees and evaluate the score. Manager/AVP who has failed to score the minimum must be put on improvement training to improve themselves.

Sandvine is good but cool place to work at

I have been working at Sandvine

ProsSandvine has a team of talented engineers. The culture is pretty open, and the company gives the employees flexible working hours.

ConsPeople usually have to work for extra hours in order to get job done, and this is usually the case all through the year.

Worked for Sandvine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sandvine reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sandvine CEO Dave Caputo. All 55 reviews posted anonymously by Sandvine employees.