Sandvine Reviews

Reset
3.8
Sandvine President and CEO Dave Caputo
Dave Caputo

Pros
  • Free food, beverages, anything you need :) (in 13 reviews)

• Salary, Benefits, work-life balance, Transparent Management and the most important cutting edge technology (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • May be the extra hours you put in, if it's a concern :) (in 5 reviews)

• India management has no clue about code complexity and only looks into number of lines of code when it comes to effort estimation (in 3 reviews)

A Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at Sandvine for the past 6 years of my 14 year professional career, and I have no intention of leaving. At Sandvine I get to work with an extremely talented group of people, on a variety of interesting projects. People are friendly, helpful, and appreciative of your efforts here. I have worked at a variety of different companies from startups to one that dwarfs Sandvine, and after a while you can get a sense or feel for how a company is performing, both in terms of the market, and towards their employees. In the six years I have been here at Sandvine, things have been getting better and better. These days, this place feels like all cylinders are firing and we've got great momentum. There is a palpable energy here that is only present at a company that is on a winning streak, and it feels good. I decided to write this review because yesterday I was walking down the hall at Sandvine, and I spontaneously found myself thinking, "Man, I love my job." I'm feel lucky to be here during this exciting time.

Cons

We work hard at Sandvine, and sometimes you have to suck it up and put in the hours to get the job done. This may mean sacrificing personal/family time on occasion. If this is something you are uncomfortable with, this probably isn't the place for you. I personally don't consider this a significant con though. You're going to have to work hard at some point during your tenure at any company. It's no different at Sandvine - what is different from many places, however, is that we celebrate our successes, effort is recognized, and employees are rewarded. If you are driven, Sandvine is a great place to show off your effort.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The future at Sandvine looks very exciting, with the course you've put us on.

Good company culture and working environment but very poor, stubborn, and lazy/comfortable upper management (Director and higher) makes it impossible and frustrating to do anything but keep status quo.

Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sandvine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company culture tries to make it a good fun place to work. Profit sharing gives a few extra bucks now and then (not significant). Small teams so you still can feel important, though of course that means working harder sometimes. If you're a mediocre employee and like clocking in and out (9 to 5) and do as you are told you'll love this place.

Cons

Upper management (director and higher) are very lazy and comfortable in their jobs. So much so that they stifle creativity and progress. If you are top talent you will get bored and frustrated to the point of either having to quit, or worse, getting let go if you try too hard to disturb them with fresh or useful ideas. There is also lots of preferential treatment. You either kiss a** and have it easy no matter how poor of an employee you are or you don't and are mistreated, abused, and eventually let go or quit. Don't expect fair performance evaluations or salary increases; FYI the two are strangely unrelated.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management, drop the know-it-all attitude because you rarely seem to know the truth or what is really happening, make a genuine effort to listen and understand what is happening, admit when you are wrong (don't worry it's ok), stop worrying only about your safety and your bloated paycheques, and if you cannot find a way to get stuff done just get out of the way because chances are those on your teams are trying to but you are the roadblocks and speed-bumps getting in the way.

Startup Culture.Leading edge technology.below par management

Current Employee - Engineering in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Engineering in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of smart people, good product and some of the management team and product managers are really accessible and great. knowledge sharing is facilitated.

Cons

some micro managers ruining things, below par salary and benefits..paltry raises and no scope of promotion considering people have been in their roles for 7+ years

Advice to Management

start taking more interest in employees progression and create a progression path

5. QA team is strong

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for the QA team, which is very strong. Almost everything is automated and cutting edge. There are people in this team that are very bright and know a tonne.

Cons

Information flow from Product Developers to QA Developers is poor. Often QA need to ask Product Dev. many clarifying questions before we can start automating our stuff.

Advice to Management

Bring up the product related knowledge within QA team members.

Smart people. Leading edge technology.

Current Employee - Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart people work in Engineering (Programmers and QA, most of who are also developers). Unbelievingly cutting edge technology. Literally will be exposed to ideas and tech. that no other company anywhere has tried yet.

Cons

Might not be the best environment for people who need a lot of support and guidance (i.e., documentation is something not clear). You are expected to be self starter who can figure things out, investigate when things go wrong, and drive processes without needing to be spoon fed.

Advice to Management

Refresh internal docs.

Good technology at a rapid pace

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sandvine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Founders / CEO are really focused and friendly. Also, they seem to care about the customers and employees.

Cons

The development environment is very challenging. I'm not a fan of the code controls and the complexity of the environment. It takes too long to get up to speed.

Advice to Management

Invest in simplifying and making it easier for new employees to contribute

Good people, loads of work and long hours

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people make the environment fun lots of things to see and do

Cons

zero work life balance 14h work days crammed into 8hours of pay there are no spurts of work, just more and more of it

Advice to Management

really examine the workload of staff vs clients needs. It would be good to push back on a demanding customer once in a while.

Used to be a good place

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team work. People are nice and caring in general.

Cons

Working extra hours to finish work. Documentation is poor. New comer remains upset as he hears different answers for the same questions. Company will loose all its strength if employees with the longer duration leave the company.

Advice to Management

Too much hiring from RIM may spoil the culture. Already employees are not happy with the decision making of those who joined from RIM. Discrimination is felt especially towards promotions.

A great company to work for with great leadership!

Current Employee - RFP Team in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - RFP Team in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sandvine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Competitive salary and benefits package -Fun place to work. Everyone works hard and plays hard -A learning environment -Leadership team has open door policy. They are immersed in the culture and very hands-on -Employees are encouraged to take risks and be creative -Management care about fostering the growth and development of employees -Spirited debate is encouraged

Cons

-Silos exist but collaboration and information sharing is improving

Top 10 reasons not to go to Sandvine

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sandvine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good software practices. (code reviews, unit tests, automated and performance tests) One of the better implementations of automated testing that I have witnessed. People are hard working and there is a "can do" attitude in the company.

Cons

1. Lack of focus/accountability: Even after 7+ years after an IPO, some management still describe Sandvine as a startup. Its not. They have to have a very mature processes to make sure the software is well developed to a high standard. However the long tenured developers are allowed to do what ever they wish against the standard policy. 2. Poor management experience: Management is mostly made up of people that have been there 10+ years directly out of school and are set in their ways. Best management practices are only stumbled upon and not developed. 3. Lack of planning: Many times the engineering dept has been left trying to fast track new product development becasue there was not sufficient planning on EOL parts on existing products. This resulted in EOL parts being bought on e-bay and products pushed out long before they are truely ready for a tier 1 network. Engineers are expected to suck up the overtime and dont complain. 4. Lack of support: There is no career development. Its sink or swim. Your training is on the job and dont expect anyone to train you about the product. 5. Lack of architecture: Dont ask for an architecture diagram or document. They dont exist and the architects like it that way. Causes mass confusion for all developers and makes it very difficult to understand the whole system. 6. Low quality tests: They have 1000s of tests, But the infrastrucutre is so unreliable they only have to have a single PASS of each test after dozens of executions. It takes over a week to find regressions. Near a release, many testers repeat tests executions multiple times until all of them PASS once. 7. Departmental fifedoms: there is a constant struggle between all departments and very little collaboration to work together. Causees stress and conflict and drags productivity down. 8. Lack of Product reliability: Sandvines equipment is often placed in tier one networks, but their system is not robust to failures. Fault tolerance is not designed into the product and as a result, a small army of engineers comb through the hot issues on customers networks daily. Its not profitable to add reliabilty so they throw people at it and bill it as support contracts. 9. Customers force Sandvine around. Sandvine sells to some very large corporations. As a result Sandvine has had to spend a lot of extra efffort back porting features onto older releases which they were not designed for. A lot of wasted effort for a single sale (although a large one). 10. Product space is heavily regulated: Sandvine is a DPI company. Prorotcols change and break regularly. But the main thrust of their products is on Usage Based Billing. The public is largely against UBB and govenermetns heavily regulate network operators. This environment causes very slow changes in network management which Sandvine advocates. However buisness is great in less regulated sections of the world. You can find skype calls blocked thanks to Sandvine.

Advice to Management

Get some true managers into the company. Forcing people to work tones of over time weakens morale. Get your departments working together instead of against each other.

RSS Feed </> Embed