Sanford C. Bernstein

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James A. Gingrich

Great company to kick off your career

Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHighly reputable and knowledgeable bosses; industry reputation; real research; very good exit choice

Conshours depends on boss; limited upside for someone already has 5+ years experience.

Drinking the green koolaid

Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosclient service centric, great for molding young professionals

Consfeels like a cult, salary not competitive

I love working inside the Bernstein culture, one that is full of energy.

Associate (Current Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsGreat colleagues, good options for career path, great management team. Good architecture for associate growth and advancement opportunities. Managers are focused on making sure their associates are happy.

ConsCould be paid more for the work I do, but still satisfied. Sometimes clients call and are upset but they aren't terrible to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is great and very accessible. While there is a hierarchical structure, even MDs are easy to speak witha nd readibly available.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Private Client Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are amazingly helpful and very willing to train you. There is a great sense of community there and you can make genuine friends within the workplace.

ConsLimited paths of growth, and if you are not interested in following those specific paths this may not be the place for you. Not much interaction between teams professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Wonderful Learning & Growth Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWonderful employee collaboration and professionalism. All people were a joy to work with and the atmosphere was fast-paced and interesting. I truly enjoyed working with a company that took great pride in its product (equity research) and was very serious about continuing its highly regarded reputation.

ConsSlight feeling of hierarchy, but I think that is necessary in a business setting. Sales associates travel quite a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership are a joy to work with because they place great importance upon the idea of "mutual respect." I wanted to work better/ harder for my supervisors not only because I respected them, but also because they showed me respect as well.

Great place to learn.

Private Client Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat place learn. Exposure into high net worth asset management. Bernstein's private client business is top notch. They have some of the most advanced research tools and capabilities in the country. As a private client associate you have the opportunity to use these research tools and the opportunity work directly with clients. The "Financial Advisor" does most of the selling and decision making, but you're part of it.

ConsFeels like you have to relocate for advancement. Most of the regional offices are small and you may have to wait a long time for promotional opportunities unless you move.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore robust professional development. Being a private client associate is not a career path.

hidden gem in wall street

V. P. (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros1. good team with little politics
    2. bonus

Consvery segmented. little communication between groups.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage more transparency between business units

Not the highest caliber shop to be at unless you are a research analyst

Prosbest research on the street

Constrading platform is third tier. not a great caliber of equity professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementSinking ship. Don't be the last on the boat.

SCB is not at par with competitors

Research Associate (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- nice location in london;
    - easy, easy, easy work

Cons- stingy company: low pay and low benefits;
    - research associates are treated as a resource and as an inferior class of people vs. the senior research analysts;
    - some of the senior research analysts are very knowledgeable and you can learn a lot from them if you are on their team, but some are shockingly substandard and if you are on their team, it's a dead end job;
    - some of the research quality is significantly below the bulge brackets research;
    - ugly offices for the equity research group, stunningly beautiful and stylish offices for the HR group!

Advice to Senior Managementstart treating research associates with more respect if you want to have less turnover at the associate level.

Enjoyed it

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsYou have a ton of access

ConsPeople take themselves a bit too seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up

Worked for Sanford C. Bernstein? Contribute to the Community!