Sanford Health

Updated February 21, 2015
2.9

Sanford Health President & CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft
Kelby K. Krabbenhoft

Pros
  • Great people that want to create a better organization to improve care (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to see many different things to start out a career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, could have some better benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management does not give two shits about employees who make the place function (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Healthcare

Current Employee - Anonymous in East Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in East Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sanford Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits for part time employees.

Cons

Low pay for non medical employees.

Pay employees based on performance not time on job.

Healthcare

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

nice people on team grateful patients

Cons

Low pay compared to other markets with equal cost of living

Look at turn over vs compensation

They could value their employees more

I worked at Sanford Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

always hours available to pick-up if you're a work-aholic

Cons

usually worked short-staffed, and pay was not cream of the crops. especially for being over-worked and under-staffed quite often.
    had 13 years experience, and starting wage was 10.52.

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

patient care and co workers

Cons

morale is at all time low

Nice people in state-of-the-art medical facilities that truly care about patients

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Sanford Health full-time

Pros

Most people were there for life, and had lots of extended family working there. Admin hours were 8-5, and the place was empty by 5:30. Generous vacation policy for all employees - 4 weeks of vacation a year, although paid holidays were limited. Staff truly cared about patient care.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, lots of big organizational changes that surprised everyone, although it was no surprise that there were lots of reorganizations.

Get to know employees personally. Set up opportunities for cross-functional conversations. Don't promote people to positions where they have no experience and give them titles that don't match their skill set; bring in seasoned experts or provide employee training in new areas where they will be working.

Good company, good people -- changes in response to healthcare reform have made it difficult to navigate upward mobility

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

Truly believes in providing quality healthcare to patients. A lot of emphasis on safety and standardized practices. A lot of really good people working in middle management and several in senior management. Gives back to the community. Growing company. Taking on significant projects with World Clinics and research on a cure for diabetes. Have become a large player in the Midwest. Has developed, and earned, a good reputation.

Cons

Has had some growing pains with recent mergers (technology, management merger/restructuring, etc.). There have been some good people who have left the company out of frustration of workload, lack of recognition and few opportunities for advancement as they pared down senior and middle management several times. More work put on fewer people to save money and 'right size'. However, there have been some people who have left (voluntarily or otherwise) who needed to go, and I believe that's a good thing - it shows we want top performers and it sends the right message to those who have worked hard.

It may be time to step back and reevaluate whether the current management structure is appropriate, versus using attrition to determine structure and, therefore. needs.

Sanford Health Working at a Rural Community Hospita

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and constantly working with wonderful co-workers. Ability to know most of my fellow employees and work in a appreciated manor.

Cons

Additional working expectations are sometimes far out of professional realm. Pay and benfits are very lacking.

Make your employee/ "family members" more appreciated. They like to tell us we are all one big family but that never is protrayed very well.

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Other than having a job there are no pros. Humans who care for the patients that generate the revenue Sanford scrabbled for are treated like lower life forms. Every person I encounter who knows that I retired spill their guts about how awful it is. Mostly they keep their heads down and wait for the arrow to settle in the bullseye on their back. If I have any elective surgery it won't be at a Sanford facility. I will go elsewhere. If in case of trauma and I have no choice then I will be requesting an itemized statement and a list of procedure codes.

Cons

This is a morally and ethically bankrupt capitalistic health care organization.
    While clinical services have arrived here that are good on a clinical level the administrative goals are completely reprehensible when it comes to treatment of employees.
    Just follow the money.

Smurf blue singage is not comforting. It screams at one everywhere. Hire managers who can support staff and don't whack them when your 'quotas ' are not met. These patients and caregivers are not bolts off an assembly line .
    Oh, and then get out of your tower and hop in a car with a hospice or home care nurse and just see how many patients can be seen when one travels 200miles. Get out of your high paying tower .

Sanford review

Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

good health benefit and flexible schedule

Cons

starting salary is not high enough for nurse assistant

Food Service Worker - Meritcare

Former Employee - Food Services Worker in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Food Services Worker in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay for high schooler
    Decent hours

Cons

Nothing really, just not a lot of room for upward movement