Sanford Health

Updated August 25, 2014
2.8

Sanford Health President & CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft
Kelby K. Krabbenhoft

Pros
  • It was a really great place to gain valuable work experience (in 4 reviews)

• Very friendly work-place, great co-workers (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, could have some better benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Large company and some accomplishments might get overlooked at times due to the large number of employees (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Friendly coworkers and management, fulfilling work. Many different schedules to fit your needs. Three day work week in many areas.

Cons

Physically and mentally demanding work. Mediocre insurance benefits. Difficult to change departments in some cases. Work many weekends and holidays.

Rollercoaster

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company values and great people to work with.

Cons

Reorganizing every six months is tough on staff. Archaic, backward thinking, command and control organizational leadership. No sense of security even when you know your direct boss appreciates your work and work effort.

"Under paid & under appreciated"

Current Employee - Health Unit Assistant  in  Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Health Unit Assistant in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sanford perks - company discounts in the community
    Benefits for part time employees
    Family atmosphere among coworkers
    On site caffeterias and coffee shops
    More secular values compared to others in the industry.

Cons

PAY PAY PAY!!! Lousy 1% annual increases! What's the point?? Oh sure "some" qualify for 2-3% increases, but not your average employee. Sanford has tons of money for construction projects but not for employees.
    Parking at the medical center in Sioux Falls.
    Scheduling flexability
    No show of appreciation, taken advantage of by managers, no one cares what you think, just show up and do your job.
    Little or no room for advancement in many job roles
    Cafeteria hours

Pay your employees more; do you have to pay at or below the industry standards? How about paying above industry standards?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you have another option than working at Sanford, take it!!!

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are a big organization with many specialties and options for patients.

Cons

They are getting too big, too fast, and they are only concerned with two things: money and looks. Employees have never been on the top of their list of concerns. They want to look like the best, newest, biggest healthcare facility, and have their name written everywhere, but the ones who are suffering are the employees. Sanford isn't healthcare, it's a business. Although they have been steadily growing and expanding, they consistantly give less raises, and less bonuses, and less benefits... they didn't give 30% of employees a raise last year! (but you know that none of that 30% was anyone in corporate, oh they made sure they got their raises, but for the rest of the regular employees... no raises for 30% of people). There are over 26,000 employees at Sanford and almost 1/3 of them don't get raises every year cause Sanford is 'broke.' And no one got our 'Christmas bonuses' either. It's not much of a bonus, especially after the taxes come out, but yes they took that away too, cause Sanford 'is in hard times due to changes in healthcare.' They spend their money on advertising at baseball games in Minnespolis when we don't even have a Sanford facility in the Twin Cities anywhere!! Do you know how much it costs to have a giant sign at the Twins stadium with your company's name all over it?? Enough to give everyone a cost of living raise!! Instead of investing it in their future (their employees), they blow it on their private jet for corporate to ride around in, ripping off their employees, and advertising. Sanford is so cheap to their employees, that if you win a prize in a drawing, if it retails over $50 you have to pay taxes on it, and they just automatically take it out of your next paycheck without asking!! So they gal that won the big prize (the $2000 travel voucher) last year automatically had the taxes taken out of her next check just because she won the prize! Every year I've worked here, our benefits have gotten more expensive with less coverage as well. I've been in healthcare for almost 11 years and in the 4 years I've worked here, I've never heard anyone working here say that they love Sanford and are proud to work at Sanford. It is quite the opposite, and quite sad. They may love the direct people they work with, and what they do on a day to day basis, but no one likes the company itself, or the upper management. And I work with people in all regoins; Fargo, SF, Bemidji, Bismarck etc. and all job titles; nurses, doctors, radiology, lab, information technology, front desk staff, etc. Even when you go in for an appointment (cause we have to go to Sanford or our benefits won't pay anything) people see that you also work at Sanford and just immediately start talking about how awful the company is and asking if you notice it in your department as well, it's sad.. But most of us don't have a choice to work anywhere else, cause Sanford is taking over and so big most of us don't have any other options in our cities we live in.

Happy employees = a good, strong, lasting company. A lot of money is being wasted because of the constant turnover and having to train in new people all the time. There's a lot of damage control to be done, but Sanford will not succeed unless something changes. It's a slow downward slope right now, but where does it end?

Personal Trainer at the Wellness Center on Oxbow

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

The employees are all great people! It's a great place to meet people and network within the Sanford community. Great starting job for anyone breaking into the Personal training world.

Cons

Updates! - The facility needs updating which is the main complaint of the members. This is a great starting job... There really isn't much room for personal/professional growth. It would be nice to have some sort of commission based compensation tool in order to compete with other gyms in the area and keep employees happier. Scheduling needs to be considered and changed - Everyone's schedule is all over the place.

Provide more ways for compensation for your employees so they have a reason to grow and retain clients. If you can't do that, then maybe advertise more and update your equipment in order to draw more people in the door. Make productive changes please.

Nutrition Technician

Former Employee - Nutrition Technician  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Nutrition Technician in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. It was a really great place to gain valuable work experience.

Cons

The pay. I didn't get paid nearly as much as other hospitals in the area.

Big Hospital Small Support

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Biggest hospital in town with a variety of patient experiences.

Cons

Old building with no parking.

Pay your staff wages equatable to those in town at other hospitals as well as to the other Sanford hospitals in other states.

Great salary and benefits, Lack of empathy of understanding in management

Former Employee - IT Department
    Former Employee - IT Department

I worked at Sanford Health full-time

Pros

Salary was excellent, as was organization. Great mentorship and training program for new employees.

Cons

I experienced a lack of understanding for health issues that arouse during my first year of work, before I was covered with FMLA. Also had inconsistencies over supervision of work hours between various employees. Example, certain employees got away with being consistently late or working odd hours, and other employees were treated more harshly for the same issues.

Consider having clearer expectations for work hours for those in salary positions, and enforce a consistent approach to each employee. Look into leave of absence programs for those who haven't earned FMLA yet, for when health emergencies arise.

Laboratory Technical Assistant

Current Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant  in  Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Co-workers
    Experience in the medical field
    Patient interaction
    You get a pay check

Cons

Bad hours
    Low pay
    Grossly Under appreciated
    Not everyone is held to the same standard of work and or amount

Appreciate your laboratory technical assistants, and hold everyone to an accountability of not only a quality of work but a quantity as well. It would also help to begin a culture of a "can do" attitude instead of a "I guess I can go do it if no one else will" attituce.

Pay not competitive especially with cost of living increasing.

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health part-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are awesome! Physician I work for is great! Benefits are good.

Cons

Pay..pay...pay! When a gallon of milk costs almost $5.00 a gallon and rent almost 1800.00 per month for most families moving to the Bismarck area its really hard to live on what we are being paid.

Start listening to your employees! You keep gloating about dumping millions on new hospitals and research facilities. We are already short on nursing staff as it is mainly due to wages. When McDonald's is hiring for staff at $12.00 with no experience needed its pretty hard to encourage those wanting to go into the health field. How are you going to fill positions in these facilities? North Dakota has the Lowest paid nurses in the country and most money coming in due to the oil boom. How does that make sense?

Worked for Sanford Health? Contribute to the Community!