Sanford Health

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

Sanford Health President & CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft
Kelby K. Krabbenhoft

Pros
  • Great people that want to create a better organization to improve care (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to see many different things to start out a career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, could have some better benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management does not give two shits about employees who make the place function (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company, good people -- changes in response to healthcare reform have made it difficult to navigate upward mobility

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

Truly believes in providing quality healthcare to patients. A lot of emphasis on safety and standardized practices. A lot of really good people working in middle management and several in senior management. Gives back to the community. Growing company. Taking on significant projects with World Clinics and research on a cure for diabetes. Have become a large player in the Midwest. Has developed, and earned, a good reputation.

Cons

Has had some growing pains with recent mergers (technology, management merger/restructuring, etc.). There have been some good people who have left the company out of frustration of workload, lack of recognition and few opportunities for advancement as they pared down senior and middle management several times. More work put on fewer people to save money and 'right size'. However, there have been some people who have left (voluntarily or otherwise) who needed to go, and I believe that's a good thing - it shows we want top performers and it sends the right message to those who have worked hard.

It may be time to step back and reevaluate whether the current management structure is appropriate, versus using attrition to determine structure and, therefore. needs.

Sanford Health Working at a Rural Community Hospita

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere and constantly working with wonderful co-workers. Ability to know most of my fellow employees and work in a appreciated manor.

Cons

Additional working expectations are sometimes far out of professional realm. Pay and benfits are very lacking.

Make your employee/ "family members" more appreciated. They like to tell us we are all one big family but that never is protrayed very well.

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Other than having a job there are no pros. Humans who care for the patients that generate the revenue Sanford scrabbled for are treated like lower life forms. Every person I encounter who knows that I retired spill their guts about how awful it is. Mostly they keep their heads down and wait for the arrow to settle in the bullseye on their back. If I have any elective surgery it won't be at a Sanford facility. I will go elsewhere. If in case of trauma and I have no choice then I will be requesting an itemized statement and a list of procedure codes.

Cons

This is a morally and ethically bankrupt capitalistic health care organization.
    While clinical services have arrived here that are good on a clinical level the administrative goals are completely reprehensible when it comes to treatment of employees.
    Just follow the money.

Smurf blue singage is not comforting. It screams at one everywhere. Hire managers who can support staff and don't whack them when your 'quotas ' are not met. These patients and caregivers are not bolts off an assembly line .
    Oh, and then get out of your tower and hop in a car with a hospice or home care nurse and just see how many patients can be seen when one travels 200miles. Get out of your high paying tower .

Sanford review

Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

good health benefit and flexible schedule

Cons

starting salary is not high enough for nurse assistant

Food Service Worker - Meritcare

Former Employee - Food Services Worker in Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Food Services Worker in Fargo, ND

I worked at Sanford Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay for high schooler
    Decent hours

Cons

Nothing really, just not a lot of room for upward movement

Rollercoaster

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company values and great people to work with.

Cons

Reorganizing every six months is tough on staff. Archaic, backward thinking, command and control organizational leadership. No sense of security even when you know your direct boss appreciates your work and work effort.

If you have another option than working at Sanford, take it!!!

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They are a big organization with many specialties and options for patients.

Cons

They are getting too big, too fast, and they are only concerned with two things: money and looks. Employees have never been on the top of their list of concerns. They want to look like the best, newest, biggest healthcare facility, and have their name written everywhere, but the ones who are suffering are the employees. Sanford isn't healthcare, it's a business. Although they have been steadily growing and expanding, they consistantly give less raises, and less bonuses, and less benefits... they didn't give 30% of employees a raise last year! (but you know that none of that 30% was anyone in corporate, oh they made sure they got their raises, but for the rest of the regular employees... no raises for 30% of people). There are over 26,000 employees at Sanford and almost 1/3 of them don't get raises every year cause Sanford is 'broke.' And no one got our 'Christmas bonuses' either. It's not much of a bonus, especially after the taxes come out, but yes they took that away too, cause Sanford 'is in hard times due to changes in healthcare.' They spend their money on advertising at baseball games in Minnespolis when we don't even have a Sanford facility in the Twin Cities anywhere!! Do you know how much it costs to have a giant sign at the Twins stadium with your company's name all over it?? Enough to give everyone a cost of living raise!! Instead of investing it in their future (their employees), they blow it on their private jet for corporate to ride around in, ripping off their employees, and advertising. Sanford is so cheap to their employees, that if you win a prize in a drawing, if it retails over $50 you have to pay taxes on it, and they just automatically take it out of your next paycheck without asking!! So they gal that won the big prize (the $2000 travel voucher) last year automatically had the taxes taken out of her next check just because she won the prize! Every year I've worked here, our benefits have gotten more expensive with less coverage as well. I've been in healthcare for almost 11 years and in the 4 years I've worked here, I've never heard anyone working here say that they love Sanford and are proud to work at Sanford. It is quite the opposite, and quite sad. They may love the direct people they work with, and what they do on a day to day basis, but no one likes the company itself, or the upper management. And I work with people in all regoins; Fargo, SF, Bemidji, Bismarck etc. and all job titles; nurses, doctors, radiology, lab, information technology, front desk staff, etc. Even when you go in for an appointment (cause we have to go to Sanford or our benefits won't pay anything) people see that you also work at Sanford and just immediately start talking about how awful the company is and asking if you notice it in your department as well, it's sad.. But most of us don't have a choice to work anywhere else, cause Sanford is taking over and so big most of us don't have any other options in our cities we live in.

Happy employees = a good, strong, lasting company. A lot of money is being wasted because of the constant turnover and having to train in new people all the time. There's a lot of damage control to be done, but Sanford will not succeed unless something changes. It's a slow downward slope right now, but where does it end?

Great place to work

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Friendly coworkers and management, fulfilling work. Many different schedules to fit your needs. Three day work week in many areas.

Cons

Physically and mentally demanding work. Mediocre insurance benefits. Difficult to change departments in some cases. Work many weekends and holidays.

"Under paid & under appreciated"

Current Employee - Health Unit Assistant in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Health Unit Assistant in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sanford perks - company discounts in the community
    Benefits for part time employees
    Family atmosphere among coworkers
    On site caffeterias and coffee shops
    More secular values compared to others in the industry.

Cons

PAY PAY PAY!!! Lousy 1% annual increases! What's the point?? Oh sure "some" qualify for 2-3% increases, but not your average employee. Sanford has tons of money for construction projects but not for employees.
    Parking at the medical center in Sioux Falls.
    Scheduling flexability
    No show of appreciation, taken advantage of by managers, no one cares what you think, just show up and do your job.
    Little or no room for advancement in many job roles
    Cafeteria hours

Pay your employees more; do you have to pay at or below the industry standards? How about paying above industry standards?

Laboratory Technical Assistant

Current Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers
    Experience in the medical field
    Patient interaction
    You get a pay check

Cons

Bad hours
    Low pay
    Grossly Under appreciated
    Not everyone is held to the same standard of work and or amount

Appreciate your laboratory technical assistants, and hold everyone to an accountability of not only a quality of work but a quantity as well. It would also help to begin a culture of a "can do" attitude instead of a "I guess I can go do it if no one else will" attituce.