Sanford Health Reviews

97 reviews filtered by
2.8
Sanford Health President & CEO Kelby K. Krabbenhoft
Kelby K. Krabbenhoft

Pros
  • Great people that want to create a better organization to improve care (in 5 reviews)

• Great place to see many different things to start out a career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, could have some better benefits (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management does not give two shits about employees who make the place function (in 3 reviews)

1. cna

Current Employee - CNA in Mandan, ND
    Current Employee - CNA in Mandan, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

The residents. You fall in love easy.

Cons

The administration. The warm bodies randomly hired just to make the staff to resident ratio legal.

Advice to Management

Treat your veterans with respect. Stop kissing the behinds of the new staff because u think its easier. If u are doing your job. Your rear has no time to be up in a office crying.

2. Intern

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Good work environment with laid back employees

Cons

can be stressful but that comes with working at a hospital

3. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Clinic Coding Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Clinic Coding Specialist in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Sanford Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very caring company for employees as well as patients.

Cons

Need to make policies clear to employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees please

5. Staff RN review

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

I prefer not to comment at this time. Great company to work for due to several reasons I will not disclose. Stable job if you need one. Very good management.

Cons

No labor unions in North Dakota which means very low pay. Not much room for advancement either. Training very poor.

Advice to Management

Improve training. Give raises to remain competitive with the market. Buy equipment and make sure existing equipment works. Great company!

6. Come here if you are a new grad RN eager to learn quickly, then run (don't walk) away before you burn out

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

Willing to train and provide experience to new nurses. Within a year as a new Grad, the average nurse has the opportunity to train as a charge nurse, be appointed to various hospital committees, gain experience in various specialty units. Youthful and energetic staff who try to stay positive.

Cons

Very poor pay. Skills and work ethic in employees is not valued or compensated. Very high turnover causing constant staffing issues and high nurse to patient ratios. RN's are over worked. Poor middle management who ignore issues. Nursing support staff are poorly trained with poor pay, at best useless and at worst dangerous.

Bottom line, come here if you are a new grad RN eager to learn quickly and be literally thrown in over your head. Once you gain the experience and skill, pad your resume and get out before Sanford burns you out of the entire profession.

Advice to Management

Middle management needs to follow through on positive initiatives from both the top down and bottom up, they consistently drop the ball on positive change in progress from both ends. Encourage/reward good employees with incentive based wage scales, hello management, there is not a union here, use the lack of contract to retain good employees and get rid of the bad! Unbelievable waste, but this seems to be the norm in health care.

7. It's their way or the highway

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Peds Homecare in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Peds Homecare in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

You get your schedule a month in advance

Cons

They make everything a struggle. They do not try to satisfy their employees or their clients needs. It is all about them and what they can do to exploit you and your services. They have too high of a demand when it comes to the amount of hours you work, I am designated as a part time employee and they have me working full time hours. They do not offer competitive pay. They are a huge company but pay the lowest possible wage of anyone. I am a licensed professional but they do not pay me as such, I could make almost as much simply working in fast food.

Advice to Management

At least try to meet your employees half way. Understand that they are people too and have physicals and emotional limits. A satisfied employee will make you more money than a disgruntled one. Pay a fair wage for the job that your employees are performing.

8. Highly successful and diversified health care organization.

I worked at Sanford Health

Pros

Fast-paced, growing organization with exciting initiatives and cutting edge medical services. Strong commitment to providing health care in rural populations. Investment in communities through philanthropy.

Cons

Work-life balance is a challenge particularly in management roles. At times, the pace is so fast that you don't feel you are able to do your best as a leader.

Advice to Management

Continue to create a work environment that attracts the best talent and retains the best employees. Invest in their development and provide career development.

9. I loved working here! The people were so wonderful and helpful, and I learned so much as its a teaching hospital!

Former Employee - NICU RN in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - NICU RN in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Sanford Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The teamwork is so great (I worked in the NICU) and everyone was so helpful. The doctors and NNPs were great to work with, also, and I learned a lot from them.

Cons

It's hard, as a full time nurse, to get out of the every other weekend and holiday rotation as there are many other nurses who want that as well. Nurses who had been there 5+years were still every other, despite being told otherwise in an interview.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest with them and you will have a great relationship with them!

10. Sanford doesn't get it.

Current Employee - CNA in Fargo, ND
    Current Employee - CNA in Fargo, ND

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

The majority of my coworkers are great!

Cons

The pay is awful. Lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!!

11. Healthcare

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Sanford Health

Pros

nice people on team grateful patients

Cons

Low pay compared to other markets with equal cost of living

Advice to Management

Look at turn over vs compensation