SanovaWorks

Updated October 8, 2014
2.4

SanovaWorks CEO Lawrence Robbins
Lawrence Robbins

Good culture, lots of work experience

I have been working at SanovaWorks

Pros

I stumbled upon this website when searching for the company. I was really shocked by some of the negative comments that were on here about SanovaWorks. I do want to say, yes, there have been brilliant people who have worked with us and did not work out. However, do no confuse being smart with being good and excelling at the job.

The ROWE policy is really what is going to make people stay. There is a lot of flexibility for people who have alternate schedules. Just know that you have to be available during business hours.

There are some really great and helpful people at the company who really know what they are doing.

Though there is quite a bit of turnover at the company, there have been so many people who have been there for a handful or more years, which is quite amazing for the market. Also know, if this were such a bad company to work for, why do I know of numerous amounts of people who have quit but then came back (or asked to come back but were denied) because they missed our culture and their job?

Products are interesting. There is a wide range you may be working on - live events to journals.

Cons

Of course with every job there are cons. Know that not everyone is going to like working for a ROWE company and they may not fit into the culture, which is completely ok. If you are looking for corporate, this company is not for you.

The pay is really not that great if you live in NYC or the tri-state area. Friends of mine in the same industry are making double (a couple are making triple) what I make. It does leave a bad taste in my mouth, and trust me, sometimes I do wonder what is keeping me at SanovaWorks. But, after a lull period something comes along that makes you want to stay.

Work load can become overwhelming. There should be more people hired. At least one more for each department. There are high and low periods throughout the year and higher management probably doesn't have the money to pay for more people and they say that once the busy seasons are over that it will go back to normal, but really, more people need to be hired because it doesn't ever seem to calm down.

Someone else had mentioned this, but sometimes you have so much work that you often have to be working fully during business hours so that you can be there for your colleagues. You often get pinged or video chatted during times you just can't talk (even though you say it on your away message). Because of the workload on your projects you then have corresponding meetings. One meeting a month sounds fine if you are only working on one project, but you often have many which equals a ton of meetings that can suck you dry.

The higher tier of management is very close-knit and can be very goofy. It can come off as very unprofessional. The two tiers of management really do seem to care and embrace the values of the company, or at least try to.

Huge Disappointment - Beware

Former Employee - Account
    Former Employee - Account

I worked at SanovaWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a framework for flexibility within the company.

Cons

: My experience: There was a very well thought out job description for my role -- it was a huge list of responsibilities that seemed unrealistic for the pay involved– but I accepted it for what it was. Then it quickly became clear that although most of the people I spoke with had my job description memorized, no one in the company really understood the intricacies of it and I quickly learned that I was on my own. Funny how they use the word “champion” … there is no company champion for many of the roles. You are one of “them” with no mentor at all. Anyway… they told me my position was entrepreneurial and I would be  “running my own business”  and a lot of what I craved. I was really excited since I had formally had a very senior role and especially since I was being told constantly about how great the company is. Still, I couldn’t help fighting the feeling that I was being set up to fail. It seemed like a lot of talk with no substance. I am not saying that they intentionally are trying to make people fail. It is just that the dynamic of the company is so sick it seems almost inevitable. I won’t go into it here in detail. You can read the other reviews for that. There are very common themes in them. I will say there are definitely people there that have dug-in and know just how to keep their jobs and it is reflected in an absolute lack of consideration and respect for others — all off the record.  The let down from the hype is admittedly hard emotionally and this may be why there are so many angry reviews on this company. They are angry for a reason. They were lied to.

Excuse me - but just because there is flexibility in a position should not mean that people have to work for half of what they would get paid otherwise - or less — especially considering the very long hours one would need to put in to meet the KPIs. And for those who are in circumstances and for those who are willing to do so — it should not be taken as a license to treat them like dirt or secretly assume they must have no real worth. you all need to. evolve. shame on you.

The antithesis of integrity, respect, and professionalism.

I worked at SanovaWorks

Pros

Your work schedule can be flexible. It is even more flexible when upper management is not present, which was quite common.

Health insurance and dental insurance

Cons

During the interviews and the on-boarding process, they did a great job of painting this pretty picture of how wonderful it is to be working at the company. The values and culture that management loves to harp on are completely different from the what the atmosphere is actually like. The way that management and some employees treat others, especially those working at lower levels, is quite appalling. Regardless of your intelligence, skills, and education, you are looked down upon by many in higher positions.

Except for a select few, it is common that work is assigned with very unrealistic deadlines. Gossip is normal. If you are given incorrect instructions or are given something at the very last minute, you are the one who is blamed and held accountable if something goes wrong.

The job description seemed quite detailed, but it was not accurate to what the job was at all. There were many tasks that were not only insulting, but also assigned out of laziness. Several tasks were not on the job description and were in no way important to "helping the company to succeed". When one is very unfairly criticized and talked down to by management, they learn of these insignificant, irrelevant tasks that they "failed" to do.

Room for growth does not exist unless you are one of the favorites. It does not take long to identify who those special individuals are. Another reason there is no room for growth is that the company "can't afford it".

Management is always right. You may have written confirmation or other forms of proof confirming you did what was asked, but it is still wrong. Management often goes back on their word after they have given you approval to do something.

People cannot read your minds. Employees will not know all of your expectations if you do not tell them.

All employees should be treated equally and treated with respect, regardless of their role in the company.

If you have quality employees, make more of an effort to cultivate their skills and give them an opportunity to be a part of something meaningful that actually does something positive for the company.

Soft skills should be made a priority among all employees, especially management.

My overall experience has been good. I feel the culture is a positive one and that upper mngmnt operates w/ integrity.

I have been working at SanovaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Time off is very fair. Although it is challenging to take time off due to the work load, I feel work/life balance is encouraged and genuinely valued. I have never been made to feel guilty about not being on my computer or taking time for personal appointments, etc when I need to.
    -The ROWE (Results Oriented Work Environment) is great. I can make personal plans and travel whenever I want, knowing I can fit work in when I choose. As long as I get everything done, no one cares when I am working.
    -Micro-managing is not part of the culture
    -I personally feel valued and respected. When I have made suggestions or recommendations they have been taken into account by upper management and changes have been made as a result when possible. This was not the case in other companies I have worked for. I think it's unique.
    -I very much enjoy the people I work for and with. It feels very collaborative and team oriented.
    - I think upper management has created an overall healthy culture. I personally don't feel there are a lot of politics to work around. It has its dysfunction like any organization but it is the best company I have ever worked for.
    -I find the majority of the work interesting.

Cons

-Compensation is so-so.
    -Work load can be extremely overwhelming and it seems employees can tend to get burnt out.
    -Can be challenging to balance workload with position and paygrade.
    -I think some expenses required to work from home should be covered by the company.
    -There can be some negativity and gossip from time to time (as is the case in just about any organization) but working remotely allows you to very easily stay out of any drama if you so choose.

Maybe consider spending a bit more on additional help to lessen the load. Could make some positions more sustainable longterm and create more longevity with employees. Continue hiring employees who have the same values culturally.

Great company to work for with lots of opportunity

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at SanovaWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities are endless, the people are great and the dedication is like nothing I've ever seen. They work really hard to develop your talent, cater to your needs and help you grow personally as well.

Cons

It's not the kind of place you come to collect a paycheck. They are very big on accountability, results and respect. If you take credit for others work, disrespect colleagues, interrupt incessantly and derail projects out of spite you will never make it here.

Hiring right is the key to success. I loved my tenure at Sanova Works. I wish I was able to stay longer. I felt appreciated and respected.

Management has no integrity! No place to be!

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at SanovaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent people on the team. Friendly and creative. I am amazed how many good people this company attracts only to quickly chase them of the door. Work from home is possible, yet management constantly IMs you and interferes with work. It's preferable to work in the office. The work itself and the clients can be interesting..

Cons

I have made suggestions about improving the process and I was ignored, then I was brushed off. Then held responsible for results. .No consideration for employees' well being. Management is entangled in some sort of sick "family" dynamics and favoritism. Constant lying and hiding. It's interesting that they have this convoluted on-boarding process, giving one the impression of thoughtfulness. The reality could not be more different. No career growth is possible in that little prison of a company. Beware when they say in the job description "With our flex-hours workplace, a portion of your workload can be completed at your own pace. We focus on deadlines met/results/tasks completed rather than hours logged." Please ask questions about the job. This is so not true. They are all about micromanaging you. .

Treat employees as human beings, with respect. Don't treat employees like "resources" These employees create the revenue that you enjoy today.

awful. suspiciously high turnover!

I have been working at SanovaWorks

Pros

There are some incredibly talented - although burned out - people here
    Loyal clients because they know the chairman

Cons

What is amazing is the high caliber of talent that has been through the company and at one time there was some brilliant leadership in house that balanced things out and made it work. Unfortunately — anyone who does not get involved in the blame game and politics will become its' target. Anyone. Some know it and some don’t. It is sad- the most wonderful, calm, collected and positive people turn incredibly ugly, bitter and angry trying to maintain personal integrity or just get the job done.

The company will not change. Now I think turnover is not a problem for them because there are no salaries in the months and months it takes them to replace people while we slave away covering for them. Yes I know there is always an excuse for this. always. I suspect now that the turnover game pays for everything and creates the cream floating at the top and a few are scraping it off for themselves.

Clean house. Bring in people who know the business and know how to run the company. There are plenty of them out there.

One of the worst companies. Ever!!

I worked at SanovaWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is the initial hope that one can do creative work. Nope. Then, there is the opportunity to work from home. But wait, there is always an IM ping to distract you from work, and a manager, to pull you into some political conversation about nothing. The employees are great, and really trying their best, though. Made nice friends.

Cons

Treating employees like children (be seen but not heard), and real lack of growth and opportunity for the employees. Salaries and benefits, bad. As others reviewers note, the stream of constant lies is overwhelming. They lie to clients too, which can be embarrassing. Awful management, perhaps some of the most awful people to work with. I wish I had read these reviews before I accepted the job.

They are in desperate need of leadership development. I don't think it will happen since they perfected a dynamic that works for them.

A sinking ship

I worked at SanovaWorks

Pros

- There are remote options
    - Employee driven
    - Products with history
    - Good vacation policy

Cons

- Extremely political environment that is worse than any "corporate" environment they claim to be so distinct from.
    - Very poor leadership choices that are now hurting the company in times of need
    - Unrealistic expectations that are just flung at you from all directions
    - Ridiculously over processed in an attempt to automate all roles
    - Lack of transparently with an inability to deliver the party line in a believable way so everyone knows they are being lied to

Open your eyes and be truthful about what will recover this company. Quit protecting your own jobs.

Ethical, nice company to work for

I have been working at SanovaWorks full-time

Pros

I feel that it is run by nice people. It's a comfortable place to work. We have a flexible schedule workplace and that is very important, especially to people with families or other commitments. You can do what you need to do and no one asks any questions, as long as you get your work completed. Almost everyone telecommutes, so it's comfortably autonomous. Nice bunch.

Cons

It's a small place and a busy company so sometimes there is a lot to do. I have always been given help prioritizing during busy periods however. They are really into "time management" I think because of this, but will actually take time to help figure out your work load and how to balance it, if you ask they're always willing to help.