Santa Barbara City College Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
18 reviews filtered by
4.2
CEO

1. Great work if you can get it.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

I have been working at SBCC as an adjunct for over ten years. I find that most the students and the staff are wonderful to work with. I enjoy the happy, educational atmosphere. It really feels like this school is interested in giving the best education possible to its students.

Cons

At least in our department, one does not know what his/her schedule will be until it is posted at sbcc.ed/classes. It's hard to organize additional work this way. It's not impossible, but one can not ignore it either.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication lines open.

2. Considering being an on-campus part time job the pay may not be more than expected but Santa Barbara isnt cheap!

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only work opportunity as an international student

Cons

poor management, pay, tip. Boring job, days felt very long.

Advice to Management

Rotate personnel, offer bigger discounts on food

3. Great!

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

I was taking many classes and they worked around my schedule. got a small raise every semester.

Cons

the Pay was a little low

5. It is good.

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time

Pros

The boss is nice. I have discount for meals.

Cons

salary is too little. I need more money.

6. Great start towards the beginning of your goal if you're a student trying to attend a 4-year university.

Former Employee - Environmental Studies Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Studies Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a student and working at the college, you get to stay on campus and are able to go to the library after work, to finish homework or study.

Cons

For me there were none. IF students didn't show up to your tutorials, it gave you time to work on your classes while still getting paid.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring students who are willing to work and goto school, they get to exercise their brains still while at work. The professor I tutored for made sure I attended every lecture he gave so I was up-to-date with where the class was at.

7. Great for student workers

I worked at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

It's great to have an on campus job. No commuting, they can schedule around your classes and the pay is decent enough. Of course this varies depending on your role, but I even was able to study while I did my job.

Cons

You don't always experience new things and most jobs are monotonous. Again this can vary.

Advice to Management

I would have liked more opportunities to use what I've learned so far to benefit both me and the campus.

8. Pleasant.

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, benefits, time-off is easy to get approved if you ask politely and timely.

Cons

Office environment chatter/gossip. It was hard to focus when people would talk about you. People seem to ignore it.

Advice to Management

Work on implementing more streamline technology.

9. Best Place to Work

Former Intern - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Intern - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent communication between staff members and students who work for them. Everyone is friendly and appreciative of those who work there.It is inspiring to work for the #1 college in the nation. The instructors are interesting and enthusiastic about the work they do and their enthusiasm is energizing. When you work around professionals that love what they do it is a very positive environment.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that would be considered a drawback to working for the Allied Health Dept. associated with Santa Barbara City College. The campus is located in such a beautiful place with mostly ideal weather that even walking around campus you can't help but feel the positive atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work both inspiring students and working with your wonderful example of professionalism as well as encouragement for all who are fortunate enough to have worked with you.

10. It is a great place to work

Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time

Pros

The best thing is that i get to work on campus, so i can walk to class when i get off work. Beautiful location, right across the street from the beach in Santa Barbara and a great view of the beach. I think most of the staff enjoy their vacation and time-off, i'm part time so don't get vacation other than during the intermission

Cons

It seems that in every job there are people who just don't like you. So i try to be friendly and kind to those who it seems are unfriendly and carry on with my job.

Advice to Management

What would Jesus do? What we need in the world today is for everyone to hold themselves to a higher standard. To see the problems around us and do our best to Love our neighbor as ourselves. To make a difference and not just look the other way and say that's not my job or that doesn't concern me. I pray that we can all hold ourselves to a higher standard and not just what is good enough.

11. Great school and great people to work with

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and drama free. With great benefit. Sunshine and beach just outside of your office.

Cons

There are no cons, salary can't competition with private company. Too nice temperature and environment that puts you into sleep.

Santa Barbara City College Photos