Santa Barbara City College

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
4.2

CEO

Great start towards the beginning of your goal if you're a student trying to attend a 4-year university.

Former Employee - Environmental Studies Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Studies Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College part-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are a student and working at the college, you get to stay on campus and are able to go to the library after work, to finish homework or study.

Cons

For me there were none. IF students didn't show up to your tutorials, it gave you time to work on your classes while still getting paid.

Keep hiring students who are willing to work and goto school, they get to exercise their brains still while at work. The professor I tutored for made sure I attended every lecture he gave so I was up-to-date with where the class was at.

Great for student workers

I worked at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

It's great to have an on campus job. No commuting, they can schedule around your classes and the pay is decent enough. Of course this varies depending on your role, but I even was able to study while I did my job.

Cons

You don't always experience new things and most jobs are monotonous. Again this can vary.

I would have liked more opportunities to use what I've learned so far to benefit both me and the campus.

Best Place to Work

Former Employee - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Nurses Aid in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent communication between staff members and students who work for them. Everyone is friendly and appreciative of those who work there.It is inspiring to work for the #1 college in the nation. The instructors are interesting and enthusiastic about the work they do and their enthusiasm is energizing. When you work around professionals that love what they do it is a very positive environment.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that would be considered a drawback to working for the Allied Health Dept. associated with Santa Barbara City College. The campus is located in such a beautiful place with mostly ideal weather that even walking around campus you can't help but feel the positive atmosphere.

Keep up the excellent work both inspiring students and working with your wonderful example of professionalism as well as encouragement for all who are fortunate enough to have worked with you.

Great school and great people to work with

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and drama free. With great benefit. Sunshine and beach just outside of your office.

Cons

There are no cons, salary can't competition with private company. Too nice temperature and environment that puts you into sleep.

SBCC is Great

Current Employee - Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked as a tutor at SBCC and found the students and faculty to be great people.

Cons

You don't get paid a whole lot.

Very good place to work

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow Faculty members, location, vision of the school

Cons

California budget cuts make it difficult to know if and how many classes I get to teach a semester

It is good.

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time

Pros

The boss is nice. I have discount for meals.

Cons

salary is too little. I need more money.

Pleasant.

Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Officer in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, benefits, time-off is easy to get approved if you ask politely and timely.

Cons

Office environment chatter/gossip. It was hard to focus when people would talk about you. People seem to ignore it.

Work on implementing more streamline technology.

It is a great place to work

Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Lab Teaching Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time

Pros

The best thing is that i get to work on campus, so i can walk to class when i get off work. Beautiful location, right across the street from the beach in Santa Barbara and a great view of the beach. I think most of the staff enjoy their vacation and time-off, i'm part time so don't get vacation other than during the intermission

Cons

It seems that in every job there are people who just don't like you. So i try to be friendly and kind to those who it seems are unfriendly and carry on with my job.

What would Jesus do? What we need in the world today is for everyone to hold themselves to a higher standard. To see the problems around us and do our best to Love our neighbor as ourselves. To make a difference and not just look the other way and say that's not my job or that doesn't concern me. I pray that we can all hold ourselves to a higher standard and not just what is good enough.

Good Place to Work with Limited Benefits

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Santa Barbara City College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* People, for the most part, are great to work with.
    * Lori Gaskin, the school's president, does a great job at the helm. I hope she stays.
    * Helping students work to improve their lives is rewarding.
    * If a person teaches well, he/she is able to better keep up with the changes in the subject matter taught and share with others.

Cons

* Working with the general population of a society can be challenging at times.
    * As an adjunct, I have no say in the curricula of the course. I don't want to change it, but instead add to it. My Chair is not receptive to suggestions. Not all Chairs are like this though. It is a department by department situation.
    * As an adjunct, the benefits of the job are limited. There is no 401K matching. One will need to work here for years consistently to qualify for insurance.
    * The opportunity for promotions is also limited. This is the nature of working for a school though as an adjunct. There are only a few full time positions available.
    * Pay for an adjunct is below what a full time person makes for the same amount of hours worked.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the Monday Morning Updates, Lori. Please keep up the great work!
    Chairs, listen to your adjuncts, they work the front line too have have great ideas to share.

Santa Barbara City College Photos