Santa Clara County Office of Education

Xavier De La Torre
1 Rating

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

The hours are best for those with young kids. You get off work early enough to pick the kids from school and supervise homework plus more bonding time.

Cons

Your paycheck will keep you on a tight budget in the Silicon Valley where prices seem to be going through the roof!

Para-educators work in very rewarding fields but the job can be very difficult due to lack of support.

Current Employee - Special Education Aide in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Special Education Aide in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

My ultimate favorite part of my job is working with the students. I have learned so much in the nine years that I've been working as a para-educator. It feels as if there are times that the students give so much more to me than I can ever possibly give to them. You kinda fall in love with the students.

Cons

Working as a para educator can be so enjoyable if you work in the right class but terrible if you work under a teacher that belittles you. I've had the pleasure to work with some of the finest. However, working with teachers who have bipolar and not having the support of my principal broke my spirit. I guess it is luck that makes or breaks the school year. Medical insurance is also very expensive since a lot of the employees are older.

I would advice management to become more active in the classrooms.

Words cannot describe the environment

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

8-5 and you go home
    Management hrs are 10-3

Cons

Zero upward mobility - Only hire from outside the organization or you don't qualify for your supervisors position
    Salaries are terribly
    Health Care, Dental and Vision plans are a joke and costs to the individual keep taking any bumps in salaries
    Nepotism
    Atrocious Management
    Stagnant
    Zero Innovation
    Bloated Management

This organization is toxic and should be stayed away from at all cost. The management are all complacent "keep your head down and do nothing to attract attention unless it's an award for yourself" attitude. There is zero upward mobility. Apply for a step up in position and you get paper screened out and they hire outside the organization. Classified and certificated staff are there only to put their time in to accru retirement. The organization has not recovered from Xavier De La Torre's purge and it will easily be 10 years if they fully recover. That is a very big "if" and everything doesn't get outsourced.

A roller coaster ride

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education part-time

Pros

SCCOE always has something happening to keep employees busy. The various jobs I have done at SCCOE have never been too overwhelming nor too easy.

Cons

Working outside of the county office at the districts schools can be challenging on days where one's patience runs short.

Unless your a teacher/certificated - don't work in education!!

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work facility, reasonable benefits - not great, but ok

Cons

By definition this is a closed shop in that teachers have the best scam. Teachers can only work for other teachers, therefore, all management are teachers. Background and education are all trumped by being a teacher. This means that less qualified people are running the show

Find some reasonable management, the current regime, Dr X, is a farce.

Poor Leadership, High Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small pockets of innovation are permitted. Great professional development opportunities are available, if you can find the time.

Cons

Rising healthcare costs, loss of talented leaders, not a bright future ahead. Elimination of departments and programs are very troublesome for districts and educators to understand.

Ok

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. The cost of healthcare to up very year regardless of your number of family members.

Cons

The new administration tends to jump before they research

Beta test new ideas in a smaller group before rolling out new ideas or changes.

If you are Hispanic, have relatives working there and have no desire to advance, this is a good place to work.

I worked at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

Benefits, union, location- it is centrally located in San Jose, people tell you to slow down and not do your work in a timely manner or there will be no work left to do.

Cons

There is nepotism, and a nasty managerial hierarchy which is definitely biased. Preferential treatment is given to those there for a very long time, and is not at all based on job performance or intelligence. "Don't rock the boat."

Come down from your pedestals and take a real look at who actually does the work. Might save some money to get rid of top heavy Administrators who do a whole lot of nothing.

At a Glance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

As far as working for a school, I would say that SCCOE has a higher salary scale than other districts in Santa Clara County. The benefits are generous although we are starting to have to contribute to them.

There are so many various programs within the SCCOE that there might a great difference in how employees feel about this employer. Our branch is an offsite program. I enjoy my office for the most part. My Director is wonderful and I have never worked for someone who is so laid back and flexible. He makes life easy. Yet that can be a draw back when working with someone who has no qualms about personal responsibility. This can lead to low office morale.

Cons

The SCCOE is so large that sometimes you feel like just another worker bee.

There needs to be better training for new hires which includes management and classified staff. Untrained management tends to make uninformed decisions and when working with the folks who abuse that circumstance - it becomes cumbersome for co-workers.

Some members of SCCOE who have been employed for years start to take on the stereotypical "State/Government" employee. It is not a good representation of us overall.

Actually involve the people who are going to have face the music created by those who sit up high. Sometimes a great idea doesn't always end up as ideal as it appeared in your thoughts.

Refresh employees every 5 years or so...ask for what can be done better.

Teaching at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

good colleagues
    nice salary and benefits

Cons

difficult students and
    tough economic times

Each school site is so different and types of postions are so varied that location makes or breaks how well the job can be performed.