Santa Clara County Office of Education

2.5

Xavier De La Torre

A roller coaster ride

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education part-time

Pros

SCCOE always has something happening to keep employees busy. The various jobs I have done at SCCOE have never been too overwhelming nor too easy.

Cons

Working outside of the county office at the districts schools can be challenging on days where one's patience runs short.

Poor Leadership, High Turnover

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small pockets of innovation are permitted. Great professional development opportunities are available, if you can find the time.

Cons

Rising healthcare costs, loss of talented leaders, not a bright future ahead. Elimination of departments and programs are very troublesome for districts and educators to understand.

Unless your a teacher/certificated - don't work in education!!

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work facility, reasonable benefits - not great, but ok

Cons

By definition this is a closed shop in that teachers have the best scam. Teachers can only work for other teachers, therefore, all management are teachers. Background and education are all trumped by being a teacher. This means that less qualified people are running the show

Find some reasonable management, the current regime, Dr X, is a farce.

Ok

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. The cost of healthcare to up very year regardless of your number of family members.

Cons

The new administration tends to jump before they research

Beta test new ideas in a smaller group before rolling out new ideas or changes.

If you are Hispanic, have relatives working there and have no desire to advance, this is a good place to work.

I worked at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

Benefits, union, location- it is centrally located in San Jose, people tell you to slow down and not do your work in a timely manner or there will be no work left to do.

Cons

There is nepotism, and a nasty managerial hierarchy which is definitely biased. Preferential treatment is given to those there for a very long time, and is not at all based on job performance or intelligence. "Don't rock the boat."

Come down from your pedestals and take a real look at who actually does the work. Might save some money to get rid of top heavy Administrators who do a whole lot of nothing.

At a Glance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

As far as working for a school, I would say that SCCOE has a higher salary scale than other districts in Santa Clara County. The benefits are generous although we are starting to have to contribute to them.

There are so many various programs within the SCCOE that there might a great difference in how employees feel about this employer. Our branch is an offsite program. I enjoy my office for the most part. My Director is wonderful and I have never worked for someone who is so laid back and flexible. He makes life easy. Yet that can be a draw back when working with someone who has no qualms about personal responsibility. This can lead to low office morale.

Cons

The SCCOE is so large that sometimes you feel like just another worker bee.

There needs to be better training for new hires which includes management and classified staff. Untrained management tends to make uninformed decisions and when working with the folks who abuse that circumstance - it becomes cumbersome for co-workers.

Some members of SCCOE who have been employed for years start to take on the stereotypical "State/Government" employee. It is not a good representation of us overall.

Actually involve the people who are going to have face the music created by those who sit up high. Sometimes a great idea doesn't always end up as ideal as it appeared in your thoughts.

Refresh employees every 5 years or so...ask for what can be done better.

Teaching at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Santa Clara County Office of Education

Pros

good colleagues
    nice salary and benefits

Cons

difficult students and
    tough economic times

Each school site is so different and types of postions are so varied that location makes or breaks how well the job can be performed.