Santa Clara Superior Court

CEO

courtroom clerk

Former Employee - Curtroom Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Curtroom Clerk in San Jose, CA

I worked at Santa Clara Superior Court full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great salary and benefits, great work hours. not a lot of overtime for people with families. the staff is great and there is many awesome co workers

Cons

an organization filled with benefits for the friends of managment

listen to your employees

Horrible, horrible, horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Legal Process Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Process Clerk in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Santa Clara Superior Court full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NOTHING well, maybe the benefits but if you don't have kids, enjoy paying your worthless coworkers' insurance benefits for their kids.

Cons

Everything. If you have half a brain and wish to move forward the ONLY way is to be there forever. They consistently pass up the few good workers in favor of those who have union seniority. If you like being nitpicked to death, with supervisors who barely understand the job watching your every move...this is the place for you.

Dump the union. Impossible I know but without getting rid of them they will never cut out the dead weight.

A new perspective and appreciation of our court system and its people

Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Santa Clara Superior Court as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people at the courts are more than willing to share their experiences and give you tips on what to do if you want to work in the legal system. The judges I have met by interning here are probably the best people I've ever met in my life - not only are they smart but they are caring and understanding people. On that note, people who do not work or intern for a judge ought to never insult one - you have no idea how much work they put trying to make the system fair for everyone.

Cons

The court cafe is kind of shabby - renovation time? But I guess not because the Santa Clara county has no money....

The city ought to give more money to the court to hire more judges to take the load of the few judges who are taking on the weight of the entire county of Santa Clara's court matters... then there wouldn't be a days/weeks of waiting time.

Very Satisified and Proud

I have been working at Santa Clara Superior Court

Pros

- Very educated workforce in the Silicon Valley which translate into educated incoming government workforce (rare in public sector)
    - Offers educational reimbursement and valuable classes both inside and outside of employer setting
    - Pay is competitive for area in public sector
    - Constantly trying to think outside the box (this is rare for public sector)

Cons

- Level of competence of higher management is low (typical for public sector)
    - Lots of "red tape" (but again typical for public sector)

Unfortunately, you need more institutional education rather than relying on 30 years of work experience. This is especially so in the Silicon Valley.