Santa Cruz Biotechnology

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
1.9

John Stephenson

Pros
  • They try and bribe workers with free food instead of raises or bonus incentives (in 9 reviews)

• Some nice coworkers, lunch once a week, flexible schedule (depending on your manager), and that's about it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • poor pay and no raises (very little exception) (in 7 reviews)

• Pay is substantially lower than what it would be if you worked in the Bay Area making the income/cost of living balance unsustainable (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Research Associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice young cowed. A stepping stone to biotechnology career. Great start if you just graduated school. hardly any work life balance. Job security is great. There is always demands for their products.

Cons

You will NEVER get a raise. The bonus are a joke. One of my bonus cheeks was less than $20. If you try to work hard and have over time hours, you will get yelled at instead of a thank you,

Give people what they are worth. Give structural raises. If people work hard rewards them rather than punishing them.

Poor pay, no raises, no room for growth.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Ketchum, ID
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Ketchum, ID

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free bread and peanut butter.

Cons

Company has been charged with exorbitant fines for animal abuse by the FDA. They took away medical benefits to a girl that was 6 months pregnant, after she has worked there for almost 4 years. They promote only white employees, never the hispanic employees, even though the hispanic employees have been there for over 5 years. No room for growth, no raises ever, uses the bait-and-switch or never follow through on any promises after hiring.

Owner has too many YES men around him, which blind him from seeing the core issues with his company. People laugh when they talk about the quality of products that come out of this company.

A dissapointing experience so far.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like others have said, the people are the best thing about working here. I have made friends that I enjoy being around both inside and outside of the office.

The Dallas office (where I work) was recently remodeled and looks great. The break room is huge and includes a small store where snacks and small meals can be purchased.

We have a meal catered once or twice a month.

The work-life balance is impressive if you are paid hourly. This company wants you out the door right at the end of your shift. Any overtime hours have to be approved.

Cons

Communication is a huge challenge here. It is common for managers to consistently ignore phone calls, and it often takes weeks for them to respond to emails. This is especially frustrating in a customer-facing position when you need a manager's help to resolve a customer issue. It truly gives the impreasion that the company does not value its customers or low level employees.

You have to be employed for a year before you can enroll in the 401K program.

I have worked here for 17 months and have never received a performance review despite asking for one. This is likely associated with the raise freeze that has been going for over a year.

The pay is extremely low, especially when compared with similar companies.

Hire an operations manager for the Dallas office.

Give your employees performance reviews. Even if raises will not be given, this is the only way that we will know how to improve the quality of our work.

Terrible owners who have no respect for employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees, weekly meals, operations manger (who was fair, but firm).

Cons

Pay, California manager's (particularly customer service manager) , owner's micro-manage.

Open your minds and let your manager's have input. Stop micro-managing everything. Give out annual raises. I heard the operations manager left, bring him back!

No recognition of hard work or opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Paso Robles, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place to start right after college. I learned some good basic skills like ELISA, but there is absolutely no thinking to this job.

Cons

You never use your brain and just go through the motions everyday, though this is a production company with no research being done, so this aspect of the job is not surprising. They work you extremely hard and definitely do not pay enough for it. I didn't get a raise in 2 1/2 years!

Pay your employees what they're worth!

Good place to work for recent college graduates with a degree in the sciences.

Current Employee - Chemical Product Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

• Flexible Schedule
    • Easy to leave work at work, and not bring it home
    • Coworkers are typically nice and fun
    • Food Days
    • Take time off whenever and for however long
    • Derby Skatepark during lunch or right after work
    • Location is awesome
    • Management (except for the CEO) is pretty laid back

Cons

• CEO micromanages, and nobody stands up to him
    • Compensation is lacking, especially when compared to other biotech companies in other parts of the Bay Area
    • There can be drama, not very often, and usually it is between people who have been there longer
    • SCBT has a questionable animal rights record
    • They may ask you to perform duties beyond your job description, but not pay you market value for that skill set
    • There is a hold on wage increases
    • Any sort of advancement is arbitrary and not necessarily based on performance, and it is extremely rare in the first place
    • Have to wait a year for 401k
    • Good ideas and innovation get stymied by the out-of-touch CEO

Stand up to the CEO.

Great stepping stone job

Current Employee - Chemical Product Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are really the best reason to work here. Everyone is in the same boat, everyone is going through the same struggle.

This is a great company to get experience and have things to put on your resume.

And then you can move on to a better paying job!

Cons

Micromanagement all the way from the top. CEO micromanages his managers and everything related to the business. Managers micromanage their employes. Employes are the bottom of the barrel.

Try to listen to your employes.

Good place to get industry experience, but very little opportunity for career advancement.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the kind of company where soon-to-be and recently graduated bioscience bachelors holders get their first taste of the Biotech industry. The turnover at the Santa Cruz facility is quite high, so it is much easier to gain an entry-level position here than at other companies. The work atmosphere is generally laid back and coworkers are usually great. I have formed strong friendships and made many useful contacts during my time at SCBT.

Cons

This company has been on a raise freeze since 2008 and performance reviews have come to a halt. When I started in 2006, all employees received their first review and raise at 6 months, another one at 1 year, and then every year after that. That does not happen any more. There are a few select people who still enjoy the benefit of raises and performance reviews (those who work directly with the owners). Even the managers whose reviews/raises have slowed have very little reason to complain as their salaries are quite comfortable (near or over 6 figures in most cases).

These cons are just the tip of a huge iceberg of ethically unsound ratchetry that flow directly from the owners, John and Brenda Stephenson. Google them. They do not care to treat their production animals with the dignity required by law. That same attitude extends to their employees. I do not have the time or patience to detail everything that is wrong with the company that I walked away from 3 years ago. I have never regretted leaving. I only regret investing my skill and time into improving my department after the raise freeze was in effect. Good work habits die hard, but SCBT is expert turning good workers into crappy ones through an unending onslaught of demoralization. Bravo, Stephensons. You are widely regarded as the real-life equivalent of Mr. Burns.

Even if the company were doing badly (it is not) and this raise freeze were warranted (debatable) management would be able to increase employee satisfaction so much just by holding performance reviews.

Selfish and demoralizing CEO leading a floundering company

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are what keep you going. I have forged life-long friendships with some amazing people. Laid-back atmosphere with a flexible schedule. The food days are nice, but get old after a couple of years. With such a high turnover, if you stay for a couple years, you have a high probability of obtaining a "lead" position (read: responsible with no enforcement).

Cons

The pay is 20-50% below industry average. The company is run by a CEO who is abusive to the point where people have to take medical leaves due to stress. There is no braintrust in the company except for the CEO - maybe 2 people in the company have PhDs. If anything happens to the CEO(healthy but old), the company will fall apart or be sold most likely because he essentially holds all the Cxx positions. We are on a raise freeze, yet the owner has consistently acquired new high valued assets. The business model is to give bonuses(couple grand), but no raises. He has no intention of retaining employees at industry standard wages and still relies on the great recession and Obama as the excuse for not giving a living wage. He is quite open about his politics, which is quite opposite of the average Californian - hence I think why he might like Texas better. They open facilities where there is little biotech presence so there is little wage competition with other firms.

Oh god, the product quality. I have been told to lie to customers because there is a chance that they could be wrong. I have also been told that other companies do it, so why not us? There is some truth to this, as the whole antibody and research reagents business should be investigated by the FTC or whomever regulates us. Also, since the quality of the products are known to be horrible, our competitors are starting to steal more of our market share. So, yes it appears the great recession affected us, but it's harder to recover because the researchers are using their money smarter in higher quality products.

The animal abuse issues are real, and I think mostly deriving from the fact that he doesn't want to pay employees either in number or in quality. You really have to mess up to attract the attention of the USDA. However, the joke of the company is that the owners cares more about his livestock than the employees - but it's sort of true with regards to the horses and cattle.

Since the pay is low, often the work environment is unprofessional, but this can also be a positive. People often meetup after work and drink which gives a light atmosphere. However, dealing with entitled fresh undergrads isn't always fun. They realize this is a dead end job and stop caring - I don't blame them really.

Managers, if you can even call yourself that because the CEO will not give you the tools to do so, stop supporting this horrible business model. To the CEO, stop bragging about the assets you own - save that for your rich friends. Fight for more raises, as there are a few people who do get them.

SCBT

I worked at Santa Cruz Biotechnology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful people to work with
    CA location is in Santa Cruz - lunch walks on the beach
    Flexible schedule
    Good to get experience

Cons

High turnover, especially in accounting department
    No (low chance) to advance in your career
    Hard work for not adequate compensation
    No overtime/ You are on a clock

Try to implement yearly review for employees and managers

Santa Cruz Biotechnology Photos