Santander Bank

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.3

CEO

good work life balance, low paying

Current Employee - Premier Banker  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Premier Banker in Miami, FL

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

very good work life balance

Cons

very under paid evene for senior bankers.

pay more to give incentive to employees

used car sales environment

Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

my office was close to home. I had very good manager. Great co-workers

Cons

used car sales environment.
    constant software problems.
    lack of communication.
    very stressful and unhealthy environment.
    inability to help customers in a timely manner and efficiently due to the above issues.
    very little advertisement for unknown bank

employees are your best asset-make them feel appreciated, especially, considering how much of BS they have to deal with.
    On the other hand, they do not want our advice, because they are not in the position to change anything.

Temp employee

Former Employee - Temp  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Temp in Boston, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some Awesome employees, wasted in what could be a good bank.
    Some very nice employees, a lot neutral and some not so nice.

Cons

They do whatever the head office in Spain tells them to do.
    Changing the internal software, but doesn't fix the problems, just moves on to the next department.
    Zero communication at all levels.

Communication, needed ASAP
    Only move on to the next changes after you get positive feedback from the department's Managers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enter at your own risk

Former Employee - Teller  in  Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Teller in Springfield, PA

I worked at Santander Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is cool.
    Free Accounts.
    Nothing else.

Cons

Hours are limited.
    Management sucks.
    Just not an overall good company.

Give more hours.

Abusive, Dangerous, and Predatory. Don't be their Patsy.

Former Employee - Never Real  in  Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Never Real in Reading, PA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first week at the branch was with 0 training. At one point I was asked to handle cash, though specifically instructed not to do so. I refused.

The pay is decent. They also seemed really inviting with great culture until the time came to put the money on their words.

Training began a week and a half in, and I loved it at first. I was excited to start handling people in the branch.

However in training, there were about 3 people over the age of 25 including myself, myself and 2 people out of about 20 trainees for the region had 0 finance experience, and I would say about 85% were first timers who never had a job before. Two or three were fresh out of the school room.

Cons

One person had a branch manager resign, the Chairman died the week I started, and there were mentally disturbed individuals who spoke about 'stabbing people' as a joke in class that they lived with.

I was actually cursed at and threatened by a 19 year old, immigrant employee who had never had a job before. She called me a liar for something I was asked to tell about myself in the classroom in the hallways.

All the underage minors went out drinking with one another, talked about it in class, in front of the instructor and no one cared. I reported being cursed at and verbally abused as well as the girl stating she wanted to 'stab someone' she lived with whenever she was mad and guess what?

Two weeks of pay, over 3500 miles of commuting, 2 hours a day of travel time for their training including a orientation about 100 miles away and they told me because I do not want to have direct deposit I cannot be reimbursed.

This company was vile and abusive and they treated me like dirt. They treated the gossiping, insipid clique of HS age girls like gold and all the older people with experience like we weren't needed.

I guess its great if you won a popularity contest in High School and never had a job.

Oh, and they do not have any surveillance or drug testing for employees. That in a bank is dangerous.

You might want to treat people with experience better than you treat High School aged kids with a disclosure breach issue.

Overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Personal Banking Representative  in  Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banking Representative in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have had the chance to meet and work with some great people. They give you 3 weeks of PTO for the year to start off with, which is pretty good.

Cons

High pressure, make a sale at any cost type of environment. I have felt as though you cannot trust those in management positions. This job has put me in uncomfortable positions on numerous occassions. Having attended college and having student loans to pay, I believe the pay for the job is pretty low for the amount of work that they expect to be done on a daily basis.

It is said that work-life balance is important, however you are pressured to force your family and friends to open accounts to reach goals outside of working hours, which I believe to be contradictory. I have witnessed staff members (mostly management) take part in deceptive and unethical sales practices to meet goals and they are then rewarded for reaching these goals. I believe there are many issues working in this environment, and if you do not have a strong moral compass it is easy to get wrapped up in the corporate culture of making sales at any cost.

Strong at the low & mid levels, but sr mgmt and overall corporate model (viva Espana!) sink the ship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally good people working there after many of the spaniards, brazilians, etc. that came in with Sovereign acquisition have left. Compensation is strong to retain employees

Cons

The model of having all things run through Spain is nuts. And the IT model of sub companies based in Spain, paid as contractors in the US is not one that works for advanced markets. When business requirements are translated, literally, theres a lot lost in translation. My opinion is its intentional to allow centralized IT in Spain continue to dictate the direction of the company based on cost savings from shared technology. Fine with emerging markets...but US is a different game.

Executive dining rooms with subsidized lunch for executives is a true insult to employees. Sets a very arrogant tone, which is prevalent in sr mgmt locally and up through Spain.
    Advice - you need to speak the language of those you govern. From both a literal spoken word perspective, and understanding what life is like for the commoners in the company below you.

Santander - HR Department

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. Pay is decent. Bonus can be expected. Most people try as hard as they can and to the best of their abilities.

Cons

Inefficient senior management, too many office politics, no sense of direction, unreasonable workloads. Stupidity is commonplace, expected, and rewarded. ER does nothing to help any employee regardless of section of the bank, Business Partners are constant cogs in the wheel, talent management is almost non-exsistent, recruiting is useless, learning and development can't get it together, and I would like to know what compensation does. The only good group seems to be Payroll.

Since they do not take or solicit advise, I have none to give other than gut the place and find new management

Very political. A lot of BS

Former Employee - Relationship Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for people they want. Great work/life balance as long as you are producing.

Cons

Promoting unqualified employee who are their "boys". Senior management is changing compensation in order not to pay their employees. Leadership is missing. People are just going in and out of the bank.

Just because you change your name, does not mean that you will succeed. Process and services needs to be upgrade and modernize. Do not expect customer and employees to just stay.

teller

Former Employee - Teller  in  Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Teller in Medford, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

great work evirnoment. enjoyed people i worked with. learned a lot

Cons

salary. need more activities for employees.

Worked for Santander Bank? Contribute to the Community!