Santander Bank Reviews

CEO

Enter at your own risk

Former Employee - Teller  in  Springfield, PA
    Former Employee - Teller in Springfield, PA

I worked at Santander Bank part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is cool.
    Free Accounts.
    Nothing else.

Cons

Hours are limited.
    Management sucks.
    Just not an overall good company.

Give more hours.

Temp employee

Former Employee - Temp  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Temp in Boston, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some Awesome employees, wasted in what could be a good bank.
    Some very nice employees, a lot neutral and some not so nice.

Cons

They do whatever the head office in Spain tells them to do.
    Changing the internal software, but doesn't fix the problems, just moves on to the next department.
    Zero communication at all levels.

Communication, needed ASAP
    Only move on to the next changes after you get positive feedback from the department's Managers.

Overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Personal Banking Representative  in  Pottsville, PA
    Current Employee - Personal Banking Representative in Pottsville, PA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have had the chance to meet and work with some great people. They give you 3 weeks of PTO for the year to start off with, which is pretty good.

Cons

High pressure, make a sale at any cost type of environment. I have felt as though you cannot trust those in management positions. This job has put me in uncomfortable positions on numerous occassions. Having attended college and having student loans to pay, I believe the pay for the job is pretty low for the amount of work that they expect to be done on a daily basis.

It is said that work-life balance is important, however you are pressured to force your family and friends to open accounts to reach goals outside of working hours, which I believe to be contradictory. I have witnessed staff members (mostly management) take part in deceptive and unethical sales practices to meet goals and they are then rewarded for reaching these goals. I believe there are many issues working in this environment, and if you do not have a strong moral compass it is easy to get wrapped up in the corporate culture of making sales at any cost.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Strong at the low & mid levels, but sr mgmt and overall corporate model (viva Espana!) sink the ship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally good people working there after many of the spaniards, brazilians, etc. that came in with Sovereign acquisition have left. Compensation is strong to retain employees

Cons

The model of having all things run through Spain is nuts. And the IT model of sub companies based in Spain, paid as contractors in the US is not one that works for advanced markets. When business requirements are translated, literally, theres a lot lost in translation. My opinion is its intentional to allow centralized IT in Spain continue to dictate the direction of the company based on cost savings from shared technology. Fine with emerging markets...but US is a different game.

Executive dining rooms with subsidized lunch for executives is a true insult to employees. Sets a very arrogant tone, which is prevalent in sr mgmt locally and up through Spain.
    Advice - you need to speak the language of those you govern. From both a literal spoken word perspective, and understanding what life is like for the commoners in the company below you.

Santander - HR Department

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good. Pay is decent. Bonus can be expected. Most people try as hard as they can and to the best of their abilities.

Cons

Inefficient senior management, too many office politics, no sense of direction, unreasonable workloads. Stupidity is commonplace, expected, and rewarded. ER does nothing to help any employee regardless of section of the bank, Business Partners are constant cogs in the wheel, talent management is almost non-exsistent, recruiting is useless, learning and development can't get it together, and I would like to know what compensation does. The only good group seems to be Payroll.

Since they do not take or solicit advise, I have none to give other than gut the place and find new management

Very political. A lot of BS

Former Employee - Relationship Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for people they want. Great work/life balance as long as you are producing.

Cons

Promoting unqualified employee who are their "boys". Senior management is changing compensation in order not to pay their employees. Leadership is missing. People are just going in and out of the bank.

Just because you change your name, does not mean that you will succeed. Process and services needs to be upgrade and modernize. Do not expect customer and employees to just stay.

teller

Former Employee - Teller  in  Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Teller in Medford, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

great work evirnoment. enjoyed people i worked with. learned a lot

Cons

salary. need more activities for employees.

Monkeys in suits

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time

Pros

Looking snazzy in your suit and tie

Cons

Don't work here unless you want to report to semi-literate greaseballs who squeeze their subordinates for every penny and continuously hire underqualified applicants for fear of competition. No Americans working at Santander US would choose to stay if they were able to get comparable positions elsewhere.

Go home

Santander Retail Investment Specialist

Current Employee - Retail Investment Specialist  in  New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Retail Investment Specialist in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Santander Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Salary, training was detailed, excellent team spirit, paid 5 weeks time off

Cons

Little or no comp on investment products sold, goals were exceedingly difficult to meet since one is reliant on external FA to place sales

Retail Investment Specialists should be able to sell to their clients rather than referring their clients to external Financial Advisors.

Not quite ready for US consumer tastes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Santander Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Strong Northeast footprint coverage, good for local and small businesses, decent individual personal account products

Cons

Leadership is out of touch, dated technology, low employee morale

Expense control isn't the solution to drive long-term profitability.

Worked for Santander Bank? Contribute to the Community!