Santander Consumer Bank

2.5

CEO

Semi Positive

I have been working at Santander Consumer Bank

Pros

Good hours, Fairly Easy Job

Cons

Work environment very sales focused, lower level employees essentially do all the work and the higher up employees reap the benefits

Branch employees are fun to be around

Former Employee - Lead Teller in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Teller in Waltham, MA

I worked at Santander Consumer Bank part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close relationship with branch team

Cons

Mid level/upper level management set unrealistic sales goal for certain branches.

Before making decision, see how it will affect the lower level.

Undewriter

I worked at Santander Consumer Bank

Pros

Great group of people to work with

Cons

The company does not care about employees

Review employees feedback

Pretty great company, good benefits, nice people to work with, really supportive management

Current Employee - Retail Banking Teller I in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Banking Teller I in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Santander Consumer Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits, great management, opportunities are here if you want to work in banking

Cons

there is a persistent demand for sales, which is probably common for all consumer banks. in order to move ahead you have to be very sales driven, if you are it is really a great place to work. if you aren't it is still a great place to work, but you might not move as fast

my managers have for the most part always been extremely kind, understanding, and rewarding of hard work and years of service

Branches suck !

I have been working at Santander Consumer Bank

Pros

The people in the back office get trained more than people at the branch . The back office can do anything that the branch can do and even more .
    Okay pay
    Okay benefits
    Nice bonuses

Cons

The branches always call the customer service contact center more than anything In the world because most of them don't know what their even doings ! The branches don't know anything ! They call the contact center to order a debit card even though they have their own systems to do it , their just LAZY!!!

Please know who you hire !

UNLESS YOUR ABOUT TO BE HOMELESS DO NOT TAKE A JOB WITH SANTANDER!

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Santander Consumer Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Honestly the only "Pros' I could think of is that I had (MOSTLY) a good small team of coworkers,
    and at least they pay their teller's incentives for referrals (I know some banks don't)

Cons

Where do I begin?

I only stood here because I needed the money to pay bills until i found something better.

They changed their name from Sovereign Bank to Santander in October 2013 unfortunately nothing changed except for pushing mediocre advertisement, new flat screen TV's in the branches and non functional pin pad's.

Employee medical insurance prices are ridiculously expensive you're probably better off getting Obama Care.

Horrible outdated banking systems that my 70 year old grandmother probably used. They've been in the process of releasing a new teller system for the past two years now.
    The bank rolled out new ATM's that are even worst than the older ATM's (EVERYDAY there is a new issue with them.)

There is a heavy demand for SALES to the point that they will make their Personal Bankers go out in the street and harass people to open account's.

No work/life balance WHATSOEVER
    Upper management expect's you to open and close everyday sometimes even without lunch because all of the branches are never fully staffed. If you refuse to work open to close then they will call you out as "NOT BEING A TEAM PLAYER" and that's the end of your career at Santander.

The turnover is insane! I've gone thru countless new managers/supervisors and coworkers who come from well established banks and don't even make a month with the company before going back to their old job. It's like a revolving door I have never seen so much staff come in and out of a company!

There are pointless conference calls every single hour which prevents employees from being productive while their already understaffed branches have customers waiting for 30 minutes just to see a Banker. On top of that they call every hour on the hour to get numbers for new account openings.

Extremely rude and unknowledgeable back office and customer service department (THEY MUST HATE THIER JOBS JUST AS MUCH AS EVERYONE ELSE WORKING FOR SANTANDER DOES) , you will get at least one customer everyday complaining to you about how rude and unhelpful customer contact center is. Customers never receiving their debit card after ordering two or sometimes 3 different occasions is a regular thing here at Santander.

Personal Bankers are unable to change customers pin numbers at the branch and customers instead have to wait up to 2 weeks for a new pin number.

Back office is constantly making mistakes on customers accounts and look to point the finger at anyone who was involved in the situation.

YOUR JOB IS NOT SECURE HERE RUN AWAY!!!!!!

It's pointless unless your "brown nosing" the District Executive your thoughts and idea's are worth absolutely nothing.

"Your employees are your best assets"

I have been working at Santander Consumer Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of professionals and management supports time taken for personal/family issues.

Cons

System constraints cause productivity problems and standards; departmental attitudes create negative culture "us against them".

Santander Bank, N. A., if your goal is to become the company of choice for employees, take a look at your compensation package.

Don't work here

Former Employee - Personal Banker III in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker III in Boston, MA

I worked at Santander Consumer Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Misery loves company, so if you want to work here you will probably make friends because everyone is so miserable that they ban together against upper management.

Cons

Worst and most negative environment I've worked in, and I had been in a commission only position prior. The mircromanagement is out of control and training is a joke. They hire previously trained sales professionals and then ruin their spirit by running them into the ground. They will find a reason to fire you if they do not like you personally. I've seen this happen 3 times. When I gave my notice I was in the top 20% of the district and no one said a word. They only care about sales numbers and have forgotten how to treat people. Any platform position in the branch is no better than working at the mall. The right hand and left don't speak so as an employee you can't even solve the issues at hand. And believe me there are countless issues in management not to mention the actual system issues which prohibits you from doing your job.

Make big changes or this bank will go under. Either that or ALL of your employees will be incompetent, not just some. Highly talented professionals realize this and leave quickly.

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Santander Consumer Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with.
    Great Senior Management
    High paying - they will pay high salaries for great talent ( negotiate)
    Easy access to senior management- small bank feel
    Very easy for high performers to really stand out.

Cons

WORST systems ever- it doesn't get any worst

Major Staffing issues

Very high turnover- chances are, if you're very good at what you do, you will soon be moving on.
    Horrible, lengthy, time consuming processes, very paper intensive

Highly Excessive unnecessary emails

Numerous non essential conference calls

Lots of focus on tracking results and planning to plan than on actual execution

Branch Managers have individual production goals just like their bankers and business bankers . The goals are less than the bankers but you're still essentially a banker as well as a manager.

Back office retail support is untrained and un knowledgeable. They provide different answers every time you call in and provide incorrect information, which you then provide to customers resulting in major service breaks, time and time again.

Processes are very cumbersome and convoluted

Overall culture significantly lacks company pride

Only 6 weeks of Maternity leave

No discretionary annual bonus for the retail bank even when the company performs very well.
    The branch facilities are not adequately/ routinely maintained. Only after something breaks is it fixed. Even then the fixes are cheap and nothing is ever replaced.

Not able to attract sophisticated clients due to service and system limitations

A quick and complete overhaul of the entire system is not just necessary it is crucial. In addition please address the additional Cons I have listed , I'm sure none of them are new to you or come as a surprise. They are all very evident and should be addressed .

Very good company

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Santander Consumer Bank full-time

Pros

Ability to grow up and get different position

Cons

Politics and coworker not nice people