Santikos Theaters

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
2.6

John Santikos

Decent job, little irritating considering the pay is minimum wage but the advantages cancel it out

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Santikos Theaters part-time for less than a year

Pros

people are easy to get along with, not very many problems, employee perks are everywhere and hours are very flexible

Cons

shifts can run later than expected, no other con that wouldn't come with any other job

Hourly work overtime with OT pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Santikos Theaters full-time

Pros

Free movies for family and friends is the only Pro I can think of.

Cons

Company stands behind an old TX employment law that allows movie theaters not to pay overtime. Most Managers work over 40 hrs without receiving any overtime pay.

Fun environment with typical movie perks but poor management

Former Employee - Usher/Cashier  in  Richmond, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Cashier in Richmond, TX

I worked at Santikos Theaters part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a nice chain of movie theatres. I worked at the newest Santikos Palladium in Richmond, Texas. I enjoyed most of my coworkers and the perks (which included free tickets to their DBox seats that cost around $18). It's an easy job and requires very little of you other than to show up and do your tasks.

Cons

The management was nice although very unorganized. Work hours where not set in stone which is fine except work schedules were too often sent out the night before. It made planning incredibly difficult, and it meant that you usually didn't know if you were working or not until you woke up in the morning.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Jumping Off Point

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Santikos Theaters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at two of the theaters that Santikos has in San Antonio (the Embassy and the Palladium), both experiences had their ups and downs but, at least based on what type of management you have to answer, it can be a really good experience for someone in college or just trying to get a job. The scheduling is very favorable, and nothing beats the perk of free movies.

Also as long as you do enough hours and make the right impression, promotions are possible although the wage increase doesn't kick in, and not as much as you would think, until the higher roles.

Cons

Sometimes certain initiatives get in the way of practicality. Upselling is definitely a good thing, but there was a circumstance where someone was reprimanded because they didn't upsell on literally every transaction even though it was the afternoon rush. There's a way to handle it and sometimes managerial changes creates an uncomfortable atmosphere

I think the management just needs to handle transitions as something natural; it needs to make sure to let the employees know that any type of change is for the betterment of the theatre instead of worrying what it might mean for the stability of their job.

All this said, I'm very grateful for the experience and when things click, it's a great place to work.

It was an ok, laid back job.

Former Employee - Usher/Cashier  in  Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Cashier in Tomball, TX

I worked at Santikos Theaters part-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very flexible with scheduling, with the exception of the busy weekend days.
    Management is pretty laid back, you won't get punished unless you do something really serious.

Cons

There may be better options for a part time job, since being an Usher/Cashier here pays minimum wage.

It would be cool to have incentives for working hard. It is pointless to try at your job when you are worth the same as someone who doesn't do theirs.

Nice student job

I have been working at Santikos Theaters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free movies, cheap popcorn and drinks. Nice personnel, flexible scheduling and interesting job.

Cons

Micromanaging, "soft" enforcing of up-selling, a LOT OF CLEANING, and all the "perks" of excellent customer service.

You need to work on upward communication, which will help you make the business more pleasant and which is more- efficient.

Not what I expected.

Former Employee - Usher/Cashier  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Cashier in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Santikos Theaters full-time for less than a year

Pros

-free movies (and ability to bring 2-3 people with you)
    -nice employee discount on some food
    -flexible (depending on your manager)
    -good job for high school students - not so much college students because of late hours (leaving work at 1am or 2am gets old quick)
    -Santikos Theaters really cares about the guests - this is one thing I admired of the company. They do everything to please people.

Cons

-management is very ignorant of their employees (ie hiring everyone or firing/disciplining for minor reasons)
    -management has favorites. And they are promoted regardless of skill or if they are hard workers
    -pay is terrible - minimum wage with non-existent raises.
    -hard workers end up having longer shifts. (4pm-2am).
    -you only get 1 lunch break - can be after 7-8 hrs though. Not scheduled well.
    -employee shortage always happen - because they hire everyone and end up firing the bad ones. (Which are most of the people they hire)
    -sometimes, management cares so much about the guests, that they forget about their employees. Which is disappointing.
    -The owner, Mr. Santikos doesn't care about employees. He cares about revenue and nothing else... I wish he would pay better and not be worried about squeezing money out of everything.

Please use better judgment and more common sense of who you hire. Also please pay us better! And promote those that work hard - not those that have been there the longest and just slack around.

Great for High School Only

Former Employee - Usher/Cashier  in  Tomball, TX
    Former Employee - Usher/Cashier in Tomball, TX

I worked at Santikos Theaters part-time for more than a year

Pros

fun job to have while in High School. All the free movies you want.

Cons

no advancement, basically just a job for high school students

None

If you're okay with open and obvious forms of discrimination...

Current Employee - Restaurant Worker  in  Richmond, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Worker in Richmond, TX

I have been working at Santikos Theaters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free movies and discounted popcorn and drinks
    You will work with some of the best people ever

Cons

No breaks ever. Whenever I ask, people, managers included, laugh in my face.
    They take tips out of your paycheck, so if you declare your tips, you'll effectively make less than minimum wage
    Incompetent managers that are unprofessional, from the lowest to the most senior level positions
    If you're a woman, don't expect to advance without a fight in this company. You will be paid way less than your male peers who have been there for a shorter time for doing the same work (ex. 7.25 vs 9.50) and disrespect and discrimination is rampant at this company
    Mysterious firings of people that "stir" things up (don't act like you know the law..)
    If your paycheck looks a little funny, that's because they underpay us sometimes "accidentally"
    I am literally underpaid for the work I do; they will ask you to do stuff that people who make more than you do at the company, but they won't compensate you for it

Know the law and follow it. Make sure to hire enough people to work the kitchen so that we can get breaks sometimes. Open up more opportunities for women to advance in the company.

employee beware

I worked at Santikos Theaters

Pros

entertainment industry can be fun

Cons

pay below job duties, no true structure, has some catching up to do in order to truly compete

Worked for Santikos Theaters? Contribute to the Community!