Santikos Theaters

Updated Jun 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Santikos

Hourly work overtime with OT pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsFree movies for family and friends is the only Pro I can think of.

ConsCompany stands behind an old TX employment law that allows movie theaters not to pay overtime. Most Managers work over 40 hrs without receiving any overtime pay.

Fun environment with typical movie perks but poor management

Usher/Cashier (Former Employee) Richmond, TX

ProsIt's a nice chain of movie theatres. I worked at the newest Santikos Palladium in Richmond, Texas. I enjoyed most of my coworkers and the perks (which included free tickets to their DBox seats that cost around $18). It's an easy job and requires very little of you other than to show up and do your tasks.

ConsThe management was nice although very unorganized. Work hours where not set in stone which is fine except work schedules were too often sent out the night before. It made planning incredibly difficult, and it meant that you usually didn't know if you were working or not until you woke up in the morning.

A Good Jumping Off Point

Supervisor (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsHaving worked at two of the theaters that Santikos has in San Antonio (the Embassy and the Palladium), both experiences had their ups and downs but, at least based on what type of management you have to answer, it can be a really good experience for someone in college or just trying to get a job. The scheduling is very favorable, and nothing beats the perk of free movies.

Also as long as you do enough hours and make the right impression, promotions are possible although the wage increase doesn't kick in, and not as much as you would think, until the higher roles.

ConsSometimes certain initiatives get in the way of practicality. Upselling is definitely a good thing, but there was a circumstance where someone was reprimanded because they didn't upsell on literally every transaction even though it was the afternoon rush. There's a way to handle it and sometimes managerial changes creates an uncomfortable atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the management just needs to handle transitions as something natural; it needs to make sure to let the employees know that any type of change is for the betterment of the theatre instead of worrying what it might mean for the stability of their job.

All this said, I'm very grateful for the experience and when things click, it's a great place to work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was an ok, laid back job.

Usher/Cashier (Former Employee) Tomball, TX

ProsThey are very flexible with scheduling, with the exception of the busy weekend days.
    Management is pretty laid back, you won't get punished unless you do something really serious.

ConsThere may be better options for a part time job, since being an Usher/Cashier here pays minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be cool to have incentives for working hard. It is pointless to try at your job when you are worth the same as someone who doesn't do theirs.

Nice student job

ProsFree movies, cheap popcorn and drinks. Nice personnel, flexible scheduling and interesting job.

ConsMicromanaging, "soft" enforcing of up-selling, a LOT OF CLEANING, and all the "perks" of excellent customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to work on upward communication, which will help you make the business more pleasant and which is more- efficient.

Not what I expected.

Usher/Cashier (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros-free movies (and ability to bring 2-3 people with you)
    -nice employee discount on some food
    -flexible (depending on your manager)
    -good job for high school students - not so much college students because of late hours (leaving work at 1am or 2am gets old quick)
    -Santikos Theaters really cares about the guests - this is one thing I admired of the company. They do everything to please people.

Cons-management is very ignorant of their employees (ie hiring everyone or firing/disciplining for minor reasons)
    -management has favorites. And they are promoted regardless of skill or if they are hard workers
    -pay is terrible - minimum wage with non-existent raises.
    -hard workers end up having longer shifts. (4pm-2am).
    -you only get 1 lunch break - can be after 7-8 hrs though. Not scheduled well.
    -employee shortage always happen - because they hire everyone and end up firing the bad ones. (Which are most of the people they hire)
    -sometimes, management cares so much about the guests, that they forget about their employees. Which is disappointing.
    -The owner, Mr. Santikos doesn't care about employees. He cares about revenue and nothing else... I wish he would pay better and not be worried about squeezing money out of everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease use better judgment and more common sense of who you hire. Also please pay us better! And promote those that work hard - not those that have been there the longest and just slack around.

Great for High School Only

Usher/Cashier (Former Employee) Tomball, TX

Prosfun job to have while in High School. All the free movies you want.

Consno advancement, basically just a job for high school students

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

If you're okay with open and obvious forms of discrimination...

Restaurant Worker (Current Employee) Richmond, TX

ProsFree movies and discounted popcorn and drinks
    You will work with some of the best people ever

ConsNo breaks ever. Whenever I ask, people, managers included, laugh in my face.
    They take tips out of your paycheck, so if you declare your tips, you'll effectively make less than minimum wage
    Incompetent managers that are unprofessional, from the lowest to the most senior level positions
    If you're a woman, don't expect to advance without a fight in this company. You will be paid way less than your male peers who have been there for a shorter time for doing the same work (ex. 7.25 vs 9.50) and disrespect and discrimination is rampant at this company
    Mysterious firings of people that "stir" things up (don't act like you know the law..)
    If your paycheck looks a little funny, that's because they underpay us sometimes "accidentally"
    I am literally underpaid for the work I do; they will ask you to do stuff that people who make more than you do at the company, but they won't compensate you for it

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the law and follow it. Make sure to hire enough people to work the kitchen so that we can get breaks sometimes. Open up more opportunities for women to advance in the company.

employee beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosentertainment industry can be fun

Conspay below job duties, no true structure, has some catching up to do in order to truly compete

Awful experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosfree movies, lots of new friends

Consbad management, most people don't do much work

Worked for Santikos Theaters? Contribute to the Community!