Sapient

Sapient Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Sapient President & CEO Alan J. Herrick

Alan J. Herrick

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is fair, but like any consulting gig that somewhat depends on the project"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Creativity is one of the core values in this company and it sure lives by it"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "long / crazy working hours quite often puts work /life balance off"
    in 154 reviews
  • "No work life balance, No work from home facility, very hard to get leaves"
    in 37 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Mixed. Great place to start a career.

Washington, DC

I have been working at Sapient full-time

ProsGood culture
Smart and driven people
Client commitment
Great benefits

ConsRely too heavily on culture
Limited mobility at mid levels
Cliquishness

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to be a true meritocracy; personal relationships are important but shouldn't drive how rewards and opportunity is meted out.

Great place to work if you like to travel

User Experience Designer (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sapient full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat projects, smart people, great locations

Conslong hours, not great pay

Advice to Senior Managementif you say you do user centered design - don't let tech run the project

Consulting Manager

Manager, Business Consulting (Former Employee)

I worked at Sapient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company provides employees with more independence than others but this is mostly due to lack of infrastructure and employee support. So, if you are an experienced consultant you will do much better than if you are not.

ConsAlthough Sapient is a mid size company it is organized into several separate companies which makes each company operates like a very small business providing less opportunities for individual growth and quicker lay-offs when business is down.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people and infrastructure.

"Golden Handcuffs"

I have been working at Sapient full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood pay, flexible work hours

ConsEgos. There is bit of an old boys club, those who have worked at Sapient for a long time and drink together so they are promoted and get to be decision makers. There is a lot of lipservice to "openness, client delivery excellence and people growth" But in reality it is more about making money than doing quality work or giving people opportunities to grow in their craft.

Advice to Senior ManagementLose the egos and practice what you preach. Bring the right people to the table and respect those who bring experience and knowledge outside of Sapient.

Sapient has a ton of great people, but suffers from the usual corporate trappings you'd expect from a company its size.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sapient full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- The ability to "own your own growth" and impact the company on a global scale (if you're willing to put yourself out there and make the effort;
- Incredibly smart, fun people, most of whom are very good at their jobs;
- Strong local leadership and strong relationships
- Great client book and interesting, challenging work

Cons- Offshore development model;
- Process, process, process (red tape);
- Focus on margins and client relationships, often at the cost of employee well-being and product quality

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people. Invest in your work. Avoid knee-jerk reactions to quarterly results (you're shooting yourselves in the foot in the long run). Invest in your people.

the worst ponzi scheme i have ever joined

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sapient full-time for more than a year

Prosnone. they hire experienced folks, but do not listen to them. they demonstrate no leadership, so the projects often waste the clients time and money

Consthey treat their workers as serfs or worse they have no original ideas choosing to follow the marketing herd. they don't value people, promoting posers who learn how to brown nose with the senior management

Advice to Senior Managementslavery was outlawed in the USA over a century ago, you should stop trying to revive it. your brand is a joke

Great people, good environment, off-shore development hours with good local creative talent

Senior Digital Producer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Sapient as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat onshore team of industry professionals dedicated to providing results. Lots of opportunity to grow as an individual and meet great people doing exciting work.

ConsOffshore talent in the DEV arena means late nights and early mornings as a standard when dealing with remote teams. Onshore team constantly shuffling offshore resources to meet all client needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent down the ladder so staff feel they are getting the information they need to do better work.

Fast-paced, dynamic, challenging, and rewarding

Senior Associate Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sapient full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company has very talented and driven people. Sapient strives to hire individuals who embody the core values of the company, so you're generally in good company at work. There is a lot of freedom to drive your own career here.

ConsConsulting can be demanding and require frequent travel. There can be a lack of structure which requires a comfort with dealing with ambiguity.

Company with great culture and teams

Manager QA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sapient full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStrong Culture of following their core values-Openness, People Growth, Leadership etc.
Learning opportunities are great internally

ConsGrowth and performance process is slow and needs a change

Resource

Resource (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Sapient full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is nothing good which I can say as "Pros", unfortunately.

ConsHiring - They pay more salary to attract people. They also attract by paying joining bonus. Dont go with these two factors.

Interview - During the interview and even in the websute, they claim that Sapient is a consulting firm, they work only on niche projects, quality projects etc. All this is untrue and crap stories. 70% or even more projects are support projects and the word "Niche" is nowhere nearer. The director who hired few of us, even lied to us stating that the project has alsready come and Sapient has signed and we have to start the project and also we have given your names to the projects etc. All this was lie. Get all these confirmation in mail, so that you are not made "Sapient Bakra" like "MTv Bakra".

Staffing: This is very crap process and in most of the blogs you might have already read about this. But very important point is, you will be hired by a director for a specific practise, but there is no guarantee you will be part of the same practise after you are onboarded. You will be put into bench and you will start feeling the pressure shortly and then you will be in a situation where you will accept any project which comes through your way. Also, your director will tell stories stating that, you just be part of this project for three months or short term and you will be taken into the same practise which you were hired for. But the fact is you are already make scape goat and you will not know when you will get rolled off from that project. Even by gods grace, if you get rolled off or even if the project gets over, then also its for sure that you will be put on bench and not made/included as part of the practise.

Project Roll off: Though as a individual, if you dont like the project, you will never get rolled off easily, unless you have a god father in the office. The only way is for you to find a job elsewhere outside Sapient.

Bench Count: Sapient wants and prefers to have a very minimum bench count and its a good idea. But, not at the cost of firing resources. Instead, the senior management team should look at this factor and try to get more business so that the bench count is managed low and not by firing resources.

Credibality/Brand Image: Every company strive to build their brand image in industry, but Sapient management hasnt even thinking of this I suppose. Brand name doesnt come for free and it takes ages. Sapient has to revive their hiring model and ensure they hire people when they can ensure job security to that candidate.

Need to do chamchagiri to be on some practise and not on bench. Also, to get some good project or onsite opportunity. Some blue eyed boys of the director get bonus, promotion and they will also not be questioned by staffing team and they always get the necessary protection required for not getting fired., But, those who would have strived hard on project and complete it and when then look out for new project, then they will not be given the best opportunity and also would be tortured mentally if there are not many projects. The staffing team starts pesturing the bench team to get onto projects where there are no projects in hand. So, those who are on bench for more than 3 months, will start looking out for job, which is lot easier to find than internally.

The internal attrition is more than the average industry standard attrition and the main factor is job insecurity.

Advice to Senior Management1. Build some policy and guidelines in hiring and managing bench count.
2. Dont fire resources unless its performance related
3. Those who get fired for not getting new projects, obviously create collateral damage to the company's brand image, which is quite expensive and more disastrous for any company.
4. While hiring, hire a resource as part of a practise. Say for example "testing". Then the resource has to be tagged to only testing projects and even without any projects, the resource should be tagged to Testing itself and should not be enforecd to move to some other practise.
5. Bring more quality projects. If you cant bring, then dont boast saying that Sapient is a player in niche technology and projects. Accept the fact in front of industry.
6. Send a survey to all employees and ask them only one question. Do they feel their jobs are secure at Sapient. Hopefully, you will realize the fact at least after looking at the survey results.
7. Once you stop the firing policy, then you start publishing about this to the wider auidence even outside the office and also to the allumini resources. Its not the staffing or hiring or the director who should be taking the decision to fire any resource. It should be the company C-Executive. Either CEO, COO or CTO only can take this decision, because they are the best people to judge the collateral damage which would be caused by firing resources.

Once you implement all the above, I think even if Sapient dont pay best salary in the market, just becuase the job security would be high, many would think of joining Sapient. Today, if anyone says that he/she is joining Sapient, then the first thing they would get as response is, "Really, hope you are not taking risk of joining such a company which fires resources anytime".

Those who are at manaement level, is this what you prefer to hear about your firm? Dont allow people to join Sapient for money or as a stop over opportunity to increase their salary.

Lets hope, someone looking at this blog, does act upon this rather than worrying about me, who expressed my view about Sapient. I am not creating any damage here, rather trying to speak what many Sapient people are not able to speak out loudly.

Worked for Sapient? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sapient reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sapient CEO Alan J. Herrick. All 706 reviews posted anonymously by Sapient employees.