Sapient Reviews

Reset
3.5
Sapient President & CEO Alan J. Herrick
Alan J. Herrick

Pros
  • Work life balance is fair, but like any consulting gig that somewhat depends on the project (in 28 reviews)

• Sapient has six core values all have their own importance but i liked openness most (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance: very hectic job (in 188 reviews)

• No work life balance -may stretch upto mid night (in 46 reviews)

The company with no growth

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sapient

Pros

There are no reasons . The Sr Management is incompetent and shrewd. They will go to any level to make sure they stay with their team even by provide false references and stop you from growing.I like some employees who are really competent but again the issue is promotions. one reason to work is that they have projects in Financial Services in NY and Boston areas. The model is pure offshore where you will have to take daily calls at 1:00 AM ~3:00 AM. The programmers are very good but who are promoted as VP's from architect level are equally bad.

Cons

10~14 hrs work days everyday. No family like and Dishonest Sr Management. There is a Indian VP in Boston who tells lies left and right to make sure you are on target. There is a guy called Shiva who makes sure that he uses his connections and politics to get work done but on the mean time makes environment unfriendly. Also the hiring process is a shame. Sapient can go to any level to verify the candidate even by talking to your direct manager for referral even though you asked them not to. This can create issues for the applicant.

Advice to Management

Get more proficient Sr Manager with experience in management and not just technical experience.

2. Sapient Miami doesn't respect its employees

Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Sapient

Pros

Some good clients, some great people

Cons

Management who rarely speaks to you; when they do, it's to talk down to you or yell; a lot of cliques - if you aren't in them, you can't get promoted; they fire people suddenly for often no apparent reason; they fire people if they get a complaint from a client even if the employee has been there a long time - they don't support their people

Advice to Management

Insist your managers follow the procedures set out for promotions instead of having one person have all the control in deciding who gets a raise and who gets fired; have managers speak to employees with respect; have managers follow the Sapient values: Openness, etc.; more communication to everyone, instead of a few holding all the information

High Stress, High Demand Culture.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sapient

Pros

Ability to travel to other locations in North America and occasional travel abroad for select roles. Gain experience working in global company. If you can get someone to share their knowledge with you, great place to learn project managment and consulting models. No drama or gossip; all hard work.

Cons

Culture is a meatmarket. People are on the move so hard to form friendships and bonds. Management treats people as objects to get the job done. Sink or swim philosophy with no safety net for those needing assistance. Unless you are part of the upper management group, most people stay about 1 to 3 years and then bail. High pressure environment that does not tolerate missed expectations or deadlines. Really.

Advice to Management

Too many VP and Directors which leads to multiple agendas and decision makers. No accountablitity for VPs to manage properly. Noticed your turnover is high? Information scattered too many places so people can't help themselves (which is part of culture) thus adding to the stress of working there.

Disappointment

I worked at Sapient

Pros

some great people, they have some really high profile clients. lots of offices around the globe. some really smart people

Cons

Poor communication, inaccurate performance reviews. Some really lazy, ignorant coworkers. No consideration for working conditions or work/home life balance. No appreciation for real dedication and integrity.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who take care of you, provide long term growth plans for employees. Respect and appreciate those willing to go above and beyond what is expected from an employee.

Don't bother working here if you are experienced and do not wished to be brainwashed

Former Employee - Senior Associate Technology Level I in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Technology Level I in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient

Pros

Nice offices. Good maternity leave

Cons

Sapient Start is useless for an experienced professional. Sapient wants you to throw your experience out the door and be brainwashed to believe that they are the BEST consulting company and all other competitors are subpar. The interview process does not give the interviewee any idea of what unique qualities you bring to the table.

Advice to Management

value the experienced employee rather than just dismissing it

Sapient government is a sleazy organization

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sapient

Pros

They tend to hire young and fresh out of college, so it is easy to get hired with little experience They spend money on parties Sick leave is good

Cons

They thrive on hiring young, inexperienced and H1B workers who are paid lower and billed to clients a higher rates to maximize their profit margins. This means if you are experienced you will do 5 people's work. The government sevices management team is a sleazy and incompetent team who are constantly engulfed in shady dealings. If you re in management position on that team, you will constantly have to compromize your ethics and often be involved with questionablly legal activities. There is constant talk of process when there is none whatsoever No room for growth. You will stay at whatever position you come into. Very rarely is anybody promoted from within There is no work-life balance It's all about sales. Technical and organizational skills, or hard work will get you nowhere. A successfull employee, be it an Network engineer, project manager or graphic designer, is a good sales person. You will see that in their interview if you look for the signs. During the interview process your technical skills and knowledge is not what gets you the job. It's your sales skills.

Advice to Management

Your government services management team is completely broken. You will need to take stronger action than just replacing one or two people, or training to fix it. It will require very strong action to save that team.

A Machiavellian Like Organization with a first hand experience to match...

Former Employee - Information Architect in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Architect in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sapient

Pros

The pay. Very impressive but always had me wondering why it was so good. The team appeared to be good, and very much open to doing things together, sharing and being forward at first. The client, was a well known brand and in some circles, considered to be liked by most of their customers. I must say, these projects we decent - if you were no pigeon holed into a techie role when you are not a techie.

Cons

Where do I begin... A Machiavellian Like Organization only begins to speak of the organization as a whole. From the first hand experiences, it was quite unfortunate to see how deceitful and cunning some of the people were. For instance, when working with the team, there was this boasting of openness and sharing of information, but behind the scenes as I later found out, there was a political jockeying for title, role and status. Oh and thats not the best part, some of these people would lie right to your face. A good example of this would be in relation to your possible role. The promise - even in your employment agreement - would be completely violated. Management, ah what a really sad group of individuals. I might say that they are insufficient at handling issues, but that would be too kind. Our client was experiencing a breath and depth of issues that Sapient management, and the people staffed to this account, could not handle. The client repeatedly asked for a very specific deliverable and Sapient leadership kept on putting technical people where business people needed to be. Oh and thats the other thing, the people are really not that business savvy -- the idiots are all about design and not about business fundamentals at all... Its quite sad really. I feel sorry about the clients. Most of these people do not have experience and its a shame. Oh and do yourself a favor - do not ask for a reference -- they will literally burn you when called upon by a prospecting employer.

Advice to Management

Build a vision to sell off every part of the business. Then write your resignation letter and submit them. Finally, go back to school and really LEARN what it means to be a human being and a business man/woman with integrity. Then consider starting back at the bottom -- the school of hard knocks. Fire all your Program managers and managers as well as your so called strategists -- what an insult to actual strategists that you call your people strategists -- who have no concept of big picture things.

Recruiters try to hook you in for there own stats. When on-boarding there is no work.

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Sapient

Pros

Pays well good location has some upside

Cons

Recruiters are like car sales people Very stats oriented no work on the Global Markets division Managers and VPs are very rude, it feels like they are going to war. Keep using the stupid phrase "drink the Kool aid" work area is very open, you can't even fart

Advice to Management

HR department needs to look at there process. They keep on saying that they hire very smart people let someone else be the judge.

Vampiric Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sapient

Pros

compensation is pretty high. Location in boston is decent. beyond that there are now real pros to working for this company

Cons

Work life balance is an absolute joke. The prevailing attitude is to ship labor to India then have the american work force manage the indian at all times of the day and night. Meetings were scheduled at 6 am and 11 pm with no respect of local times. very rushed timelines, reluctant to supply the necessary resources

Advice to Management

realize that people have lives and family out of work. And realize that IT projects don't need to be rushed

I still have nightmares.

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sapient

Pros

Their salary was reasonably competitive.

Cons

In my experience, the company was packed with young, arrogant, impatient know-it-alls. Coupled with the fact that I had a monster of a manager who seemed to have lost her carrot, and only had a stick at her disposal. My coworkers had a look of terror and fear at all times and she seemed to love it ... she was proud of herself for it. It was in some confusing way to me an accomplishment to her, where I thought it demonstrated her inability be be a manager on a daily basis. I hated working for the company, it gave me nightmares (literally), and I actually developed a fear of flying from it. It was really hard to fit in, and some of their workers were really meanspirited. I think it is because they lack the talent to be truly brilliant, and it was their way of venting.

Advice to Management

Learn how to cultivate skill and instruct, otherwise your just making money.

RSS Feed </> Embed