Sarah Cannon Research Institute

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dee Anna Smith

Great opportunities to learn a lot about clinical research and oncology

ProsPhysician Leadership, great mission statement

ConsHigh workload for less pay within the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved with your employees and listen to their feedback.

Good Mission-Employee Focus is Non-existent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThey manage to hire quality workers but are not able to retain them. The employee relationships are the main reason why most people stay as long as they do.

ConsYou work an insane number of hours and get hardly any help from management. Staffing is definitely a problem. Management doesn't listen to the employees and their voice when it comes to workload and pay. Management does not listen to the results of the employee surveys. They say they will make changes and improve certain aspects of the workplace, however, they never do. Many people quit because they are tired of being fed stories that just drag them along and keep them dangling by a string. The pay is not competitive at all. Most people are significantly underpaid in comparison to other area businesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, They wouldn't listen anyway.

I'm glad I've had the chance to jump start my research career her , but now the time has come to move onward and upward.

ProsI like the majority of my coworkers. Friendly and intelligent folks. Work is fulfilling.

ConsProcess are broken and faith is put in the wrong people to attempt to fix them. Continuous conversation about how to fix broken processes, but nothing ever changes.

Investigator initiated trials are on the back burner, and not always to the benefit of the patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better. You want the best employees, then pay them the best salaries.

Stick up for what right. Don't just leave well enough alone. That's not always the moral especially in this industry.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning experience for all. More mgmt with exp needed. High turnover.

Middle Management (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat benefits and perks working with an HCA-owned company. Free, although limited parking. Opportunities to give back to the community as a company encouraged and rewarding.

ConsLimited growth opportunities and very unclear from Management how to progress. Empty promises a norm. Expectations also unclear and ever-changing. Processes followed inconsistent and not as written. Many hires and promotions politically-based rather than on merit, performance and experience. Salaries are all over the place. A serious lack of transparency regarding salary ranges, titles and career growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen and honest dialogue with employee and department on a regular basis as a whole needed. Justified salaries, expectations and career growth opportunities discussed and planned early. More autonomy and empowerment- less micromanagement, "daily reporting" and drama.

What started out as AWESOME, became a NIGHTMARE!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe money, the friends I made who most of them no longer work there, and once I left, I understood the value of having a life!

ConsWorking 24/7/365, the fact anyone in management saw the movie Mean Girls as a way to treat people, having a Crackberry, and being okay with working through lunch, vacations and weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone in middle and senior management and start over!

Growing and dynamic company

Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGood benefits, respectful of personal/family needs, smart and innovative colleagues, incredibly inspiring work that benefits the patients directly, leadership shows appreciation and recognizes opportunities for improvement.

ConsCompany is growing fast and you have to do more with less hands for many projects. However, there is incredible potential for those who are willing to put in the time and effort.

Innovations

ProsFriendly Coworkers, working in cancer research is rewarding

ConsPay is less and will work you to the ground

Clinical Research Associate

CRA (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsStrong vision and energetic CEO. The relationships with the network sites is a plus, which allows the studies to get up and running. Very strong data management department.

ConsThere is a lack of consistency with the Project Managers and clinical teams. The study teams do not manage the studies according to the SOP's. PM's and CRA's have an adversarial relationship. CYA was rampant and poor communication. Their systems were inconsistent with frequent downtimes. Perception was reality. If you were located outside of Nashville, you missed out on vital information essential to you role.

Advice to Senior ManagementVerify all communications between CRA's and clinical team. Hold PM's accountable for performance.

Miss it so much.

Regulatory (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFulfilling work. Great teams. Wonderful benefits. Nice people. Community involvement

ConsDepending on department, work load can be heavy and the on the job training needs improvement.

Great experience, but overworked, undervalued, and way underpaid.

Regulatory Affairs Specialist (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsThe ultimate goal, advances therapies for patients, is an honorable one and allows for fulfilling work. Lots of opportunities to take on additional projects, though promotions are limited. Within Regulatory, only one or two possibilities exist for promotion.

ConsSCRI continues to grow at a very fast pace (my workload doubled in a year), but pays no mind to the enormous strain this puts on employees. No additional help has come our way - only replacements for those that jumped ship. The idea of being compensated for that extra work is laughable -- in our dreams!

Advice to Senior ManagementGrowth is great! But recognize that you've also got to grow each department's workforce in order to keep up. The attrition rate is hard to ignore, but somehow upper management seems to do just that.

Worked for Sarah Cannon Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!